Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

5 minutes ago, lordairgtar said:

I built that kit. Really nice build.  Just be mindful of the small bits. Also have the identical MPC boxed kit which comes with chrome pieces.

I built the MPC version wayyy back, which is why I want to take another stab at it.  From what I remember, the detail put a lot of 1/25 kits to shame.

On 10/3/2023 at 8:54 AM, Zen said:

Got this 75 Pontiac a couple days ago, I've already cleaned it up and it looks good. The mirrors are glued on a little funky, not sure what to do with it yet, keep as is or restore/modify it?

Picture 1 of 5

Very nice find and score!

I received three sets of dually wheels and tires from Moebius / Pegasus. I am not sure what I will use them on, but wanted to grab them while they are available. I got the chrome because that gives me the option of stripping and painting them if I decide to go that way. They are the same price as plain and are very reasonable IMHO.

https://pegasushobbies.wpcomstaging.com/product/dually-rims-tires-chrome-plated/

I also received a 21 car "NASCAR" wall case from Carney Plastics. I was originally going to hang it on the home office wall over the computer, but I think I should have ordered an 18 car. We decided to take down some artwork on another wall and hang it there instead. Maybe it will go up tomorrow, I don't know. They are very nice cases, mirrored back and slanted shelves. Not going to put NASCAR in it, that is just what they call this style case.

https://shop.carneyplastics.com/NASCAR-Diecast-Model-Car-Display-Case-21-Car-124-ANGLE-Shelves-P456.aspx

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rodent said:

I received three sets of dually wheels and tires from Moebius / Pegasus. I am not sure what I will use them on, but wanted to grab them while they are available. I got the chrome because that gives me the option of stripping and painting them if I decide to go that way. They are the same price as plain and are very reasonable IMHO.

I didn't know that these were available. Thanks for the info.

Later-

• Like 1

I got in from the Classic Plastic model car show/contest in Lawrence Ma. not long ago and I scored 8 very nice builds of which the cream of the crop is an MPC 1973 Chevy Impala. (My collection is now up to 122) I also scored a decent one piece grill/bumper for my recently purchased 1960 Ford SW promo by Hubley. After the shopping spree, I checked some of the cars and trucks that were in the contest. All were sweet as can be. I had a great time overall. The trip also allowed me to give my trusty Accord some exercise on the interstate.

Edited by John M.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, A modeler named mike said:

Pretty neat box van. Question?? Was this bought from across the pond? I've been wanting to purchase a few model kits that are only available overseas. I wasn't sure how it all works with the extra fees such as customs. Just wondering if it's worth it?

This is an Academy kit and is currently only available in South Korea. There are several people in S.K. who sell it on eBay that will ship overseas. 

If you're in the United States there is no such thing as Customs Fees on Model Kits or related products. If you're not in the U.S. you'd need to consult your home country's Customs to determine what type of duties and/or taxes would be due.

• Like 1

Another Hasegawa Lancia Stratos, the '77 Monte winner, with the big rear flares. Only bummer about these gorgeous kits is they're engine-free curbsides...though it's possible to upgrade them and open up all the panels. Randy at Model Builders Warehouse had a gorgeous Lancia rally car engine for a while, but I don't remember what particular Lancia...

Hasegawa 1:24 Scale Lancia Stratos HF 1977 Monte Winner Model Kit New Kit #25032 - Picture 1 of 9

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

This is an Academy kit and is currently only available in South Korea. There are several people in S.K. who sell it on eBay that will ship overseas. 

If you're in the United States there is no such thing as Customs Fees on Model Kits or related products. If you're not in the U.S. you'd need to consult your home country's Customs to determine what type of duties and/or taxes would be due.

Thanks for that.. I'm in the 🇺🇸. I saw them on ebay, I just wasn't sure if there were extra fees for overseas purchases on model kits. I guess I'll give it a shot..

4 minutes ago, A modeler named mike said:

Thanks for that.. I'm in the 🇺🇸. I saw them on ebay, I just wasn't sure if there were extra fees for overseas purchases on model kits. I guess I'll give it a shot..

Model kits and associated paraphernalia are classified as "Toys" by the Federal Government for Customs purposes. There are no Customs Duties on anything that falls under the umbrella of "Toys" regardless of the country of origin. Some of the larger overseas sites and especially eBay will collect your state sales tax, but there's no other charges beyond the kit and shipping.

The only minor caveat to all of that is if the value of the imported good and shipping exceed $800 on a *singular* shipment you will have to file a Certificate of Self Importation with U.S. Customs & Border Patrol which is a single sheet of paper swearing you are importing the items for yourself and not for commerical resale. 

4 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

Model kits and associated paraphernalia are classified as "Toys" by the Federal Government for Customs purposes. There are no Customs Duties on anything that falls under the umbrella of "Toys" regardless of the country of origin. Some of the larger overseas sites and especially eBay will collect your state sales tax, but there's no other charges beyond the kit and shipping.

The only minor caveat to all of that is if the value of the imported good and shipping exceed $800 on a *singular* shipment you will have to file a Certificate of Self Importation with U.S. Customs & Border Patrol which is a single sheet of paper swearing you are importing the items for yourself and not for commerical resale. 

Thanks again.. I'm pretty sure I won't get anywhere near that $800.00 mark 🤔 unless I want to be in the dog house with the wife.. 😆

On 10/7/2023 at 7:02 PM, Modlbldr said:

Just got back from my club's model show and swap meet. This is what I ended up with. The decals are STS (vending at the show). Two types of Lace decals and a sheet of pin stripes. Also a set of 65 Chevelle decals from The Last Detail.

Later-

20231007_161923.jpg

20231007_161928.jpg

20231007_162047.jpg

20231007_162424.jpg

Nice haul of kits and decals, Sir!

• Thanks 1