Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

That's cool Bill!  I'd love to see you execute that in 1:1!

Thanks, Tom. Chris Drysdale's (Spex84) remarkable talent took my stalled idea and turned it into something a lot cooler than what I originally envisioned.

The hardest part will be putting together a funding package or syndicate of backers. I've already worked out some of the more obvious technical bits and have found sources for major components, even have several major parts in stock (Jag 4.2 XK engine).

If it's the only way I can get this one done, I'll sell off some of my 1:1 cars. 

But the first step is getting together a 1/12 scale curbside model with a decent finish. and staying true to the proportions of the sketch. A lot of customs lose much of their impact going from concept to 3-dimensions.

Snagged one of these, pretty much just because I've never seen another one. Not complete, but certainly enough there for what I want.

Image result for amt '32 Ford sedan     

To the best of my knowledge, the only other AMT kit to have a '32 sedan body was the now rare double with the Willys drag car (of which I have several) and that one couldn't be built stock. Of course, the AMT sedan body suffers from the same dimensional difficulties as all their other '32 Fords (the cowl height in front is way too short, as though the body had been sectioned).

I got distracted by something shiny!

33089072263_447f378927_b.jpg

Modified bumpers returned from Chrome-Tech. Left top to bottom: '60 Chrysler modified with the license plate indentation and seams added, '63 Falcon f & r, '61 Falcon rear, '60 Falcon front (modified - I separated the grille and used a second broken grille to fill the gap), and '61 T-bird promo f & r. Right: '60 Chrysler rear minus bumper guards, '58 Ford rear, and original '58 Edsel with bumper guards removed (the new kit's bumpers are too thin to remove the guards).

Picked up an original unbuilt Johan 1964 Plymouth Fury annual today.

I was a little surprised to see one in this condition go for $70.00!

Seems to be mostly there.

Might be missing a few odd bits but all of the essentials seem to be there & in good shape.

Looks as if the stock steering wheel is broken, but I can deal with that.

Steve

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg

Snagged one of these, pretty much just because I've never seen another one. Not complete, but certainly enough there for what I want.

To the best of my knowledge, the only other AMT kit to have a '32 sedan body was the now rare double with the Willys drag car (of which I have several) and that one couldn't be built stock. Of course, the AMT sedan body suffers from the same dimensional difficulties as all their other '32 Fords (the cowl height in front is way too short, as though the body had been sectioned).

I keep wondering why the Willys from the above ☝️double kit has been reissued so many times, and in so many ways? Yet the Ford, as far as I know, from that kit has never been reissued? I know of the other more "stock" '32 also shown above. And I love to see that one reissued. But, I'd really love get my hands on the version that came with the Willys way back when (1964?).

Scott

Went to the Cincinnati Challenge swap meet  today . Picked up some decals ,  a few parts I didn't know I needed but couldn't leave without them .

Best of all is  ,,,,, I picked up a really decent original issue 1964 Dodge Polara convertible.

Built but nothing ever painted and no funky custom stuff glued on.

Only downfall is the fender well headers were added ,,,,but thats an easy fix with the  parts stash . I'll just have to look for the stock wheel covers and the top boot .

This one will be a ways down the list so there's no rush to find them .

64Polara.jpg

Went to the Cincinnati Challenge swap meet  today . Picked up some decals ,  a few parts I didn't know I needed but couldn't leave without them .

Best of all is  ,,,,, I picked up a really decent original issue 1964 Dodge Polara convertible.

Built but nothing ever painted and no funky custom stuff glued on.

Only downfall is the fender well headers were added ,,,,but thats an easy fix with the  parts stash . I'll just have to look for the stock wheel covers and the top boot .

This one will be a ways down the list so there's no rush to find them .

64Polara.jpg

Picked up an original unbuilt Johan 1964 Plymouth Fury annual today.

I was a little surprised to see one in this condition go for $70.00!

Seems to be mostly there.

Might be missing a few odd bits but all of the essentials seem to be there & in good shape.

Looks as if the stock steering wheel is broken, but I can deal with that.

Steve

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg

Those are some nice finds gentlemen! I have never understood why Johan supplied the mainstream exterior trim and wheelcovers, but included the sport bucket seat interiors in the kits. I have both the hardtop and convertible versions of these cars in my stash waiting to be done. None of them are particularly pristine, but they are very much restorable. I was fortunate that The Modelhaus had a '64 Fury Promo interior tub in its line. Also, I have been told that the JoHan USA Oldies '62 Plymouth Kits has the '64 Fury interior tub in the kit. I purchased one to do a '64 Fury 2 Door hardtop, built from a junk body, and odds and ends from my parts box.

mamafeb2016%20033_zpsh9ftlmzx.jpgThe build has hit a roadblock for now, but I plan to finish it soon. I want to do both Dodges as a Polara 500. My uncle had a white  '64 Polara 500 Convertible, with a Red Interior, wit a 383 4bbl. and a Torqueflite.  I liked that car, and mine will be that color combination with the white up top. On the Dodge builds, I have been able to procure a set of Polar Lights' '65 Coronet 500 Wheel Covers for each of them. On the Plymouth Fury Hardtop I am working on, I used the wheel covers from the Lindburg '64 Belvidere Hardtop, which are better detailed than the pieces in the JoHan kit, and besides, neither of my '64 Plymouths did not have any wheel covers in the first place, as they were built-ups or pieced together builds like this one. I have to cobble a 426 Commando  Engine together for this one, and tighten up the fit of things, and it will be done.

I cannot wait to see what  the two of you do with yours.

Those are some nice finds gentlemen! I have never understood why Johan supplied the mainstream exterior trim and wheelcovers, but included the sport bucket seat interiors in the kits. I have both the hardtop and convertible versions of these cars in my stash waiting to be done. None of them are particularly pristine, but they are very much restorable. I was fortunate that The Modelhaus had a '64 Fury Promo interior tub in its line. Also, I have been told that the JoHan USA Oldies '62 Plymouth Kits has the '64 Fury interior tub in the kit. I purchased one to do a '64 Fury 2 Door hardtop, built from a junk body, and odds and ends from my parts box.

mamafeb2016%20033_zpsh9ftlmzx.jpgThe build has hit a roadblock for now, but I plan to finish it soon. I want to do both Dodges as a Polara 500. My uncle had a white  '64 Polara 500 Convertible, with a Red Interior, wit a 383 4bbl. and a Torqueflite.  I liked that car, and mine will be that color combination with the white up top. On the Dodge builds, I have been able to procure a set of Polar Lights' '65 Coronet 500 Wheel Covers for each of them. On the Plymouth Fury Hardtop I am working on, I used the wheel covers from the Lindburg '64 Belvidere Hardtop, which are better detailed than the pieces in the JoHan kit, and besides, neither of my '64 Plymouths did not have any wheel covers in the first place, as they were built-ups or pieced together builds like this one. I have to cobble a 426 Commando  Engine together for this one, and tighten up the fit of things, and it will be done.

I cannot wait to see what  the two of you do with yours.

Thanks Ron,

Sorry to report but this one will probably be a few years before I even think about bring it to the work bench . To be honest I didn't know I even wanted one till I saw it sitting on the table yesterday. Thats when I decided I had to have it. Although I would actually prefer a 64 Fury convertible. (Guess you can imagine one of those in now on my want list,,,,dang it  )

The seller also had a pretty nice builder original Revell 1961 ( maybe it was a 62 ) New Yorker conv as well. And I nearly pulled the trigger on to. But I was there to thin the stash not keep adding to it . So I decided on just this one.

Love that red Fury ,,,,,If you cant muster up the inclination to finish that bad boy . Send  it my way , I'll take care of it for you

Just got back from an excellent weekend at the NNL meet in Waukesha, WI and picked up a few goodies at the swap meet there: Original issue unpainted '61 Ranchero body with molded-in hood and curbside chassis, plus the front roll pan and taillight bezels are intact - good deal for two bucks; '66 T-bird and '59 Mercury bumper/grilles (I'm combining two Merc grilles to make a '59 Meteor grille); 'AMT '55 Chevy hood (to take a Nomad from parts-car to project), a set of AMT 13" compact car wheels (the ones with the slots molded open; not sure which kit had them); and finally a Jimmy Flintstone Ford Econoline van kit. This will be built as the one from the TV movie Smash-Up on Interstate 5.

i332153.jpg

Picked this up yesterday at DSC , it was the only kit I bought, one could say it has been something of a grail kit for, $15 and it was mine, better than the going rate of $200-300

Also picked up another Aoshima detail up set for the E30 BMW Beemax kit

Thanks Ron,

Sorry to report but this one will probably be a few years before I even think about bring it to the work bench . To be honest I didn't know I even wanted one till I saw it sitting on the table yesterday. Thats when I decided I had to have it. Although I would actually prefer a 64 Fury convertible. (Guess you can imagine one of those in now on my want list,,,,dang it  )

The seller also had a pretty nice builder original Revell 1961 ( maybe it was a 62 ) New Yorker conv as well. And I nearly pulled the trigger on to. But I was there to thin the stash not keep adding to it . So I decided on just this one.

Love that red Fury ,,,,,If you cant muster up the inclination to finish that bad boy . Send  it my way , I'll take care of it for you

I know you can work a bit of magic on the Fury, but it's almost done. Wait til you see what I do with the convertible I have!!!!

Waukesha (Milwaukee NNL) was awesome. The swap the following day netted me a sealed JoHan Mercedes Coupe for $10 and a LifeLike 1/32nd scale Hispano Suiza for $5. Got a glue bomb Revell Cherry Pie sedan delivery for $5, a big bag-o-tires for $5, and a 1/32nd scale Mustang fastback kit by AMT for $17. I also won a raffle kit of a AMT VW (the short body one), a Hemi and Corvair engine pak and a sharp stabby thing (Excel hobby knife)

Mail man brought me a couple deliveries today.

1. Powerslide tire decals from Mike's

2. Patto's Place decals for my #16 Roush Racing Ford Fusion

3. Gravity Colors paints, new McLaren Mauve Blue and some Ford Guardsman blue.

Only thing he forgot to bring was some free time to get some building done.....not sure when that delivery is going to clear Customs.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...