Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Mine came molded in red, and I built it fenderless. I didn't notice that the fenders included a molded-in frame. Come to think of it, I'm not 100% sure it even came with fenders. 

Black and blue are the only colors I've ever seen it in, but as I said, I don't have absolutely definitive info...only my personal experience. For what it's worth, the extra chassis is shown below, immediately to the left of the fender unit which also incorporates a chassis.

Image result for revell kit #1943

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

16 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Wow! I don't follow modern racing. Sports car or otherwise. No offense to David. Being by Tamiya, the above I'm sure is a very nice kit. But, I'm personally shocked by how ugly the car itself is. This is strictly a matter of personal taste. But, I was shocked seeing this car here for the first time. It's not like the beautiful Ford GT-40s or Porche 917s of 50 years ago. 

I hope no one takes this comment too personal. Like I said, being Tamiya, I'm sure it's a very nice kit. And if David and others like the looks of the car. That's okay too. To me it looks way too futuristic and way too robotic. I know it's probably a better car than the ones raced 50 years ago. But, it just doesn't look right too me. 

I think that's a very sharp race car!

Went to a bigger Hobby Lobby than the one in my neighborhood yesterday.  The only new kit I saw there was the Revell Snap-Tite '57 Chevy.  No kits on clearance.

But I also saw ONE Revell "Calif. Wheels" '68 VW Beetle and grabbed it, with a 40% off coupon. Been wanting that kit for a project.  I was suspicious at first; the kit wasn't shrink-wrapped and had been re-sealed. But I opened it up at the check-out and everything inside was still in the bags and looked untouched. 

Continued on to the only remaining hobby shop in this area, though most of its business is R/C cars and planes.  This store used to have a dedicated display of new model kits, on an aisle end cap.  That's gone now and the kits are just shoved together on the shelves.  The Revell Snap-Tite '57 Chevy was the newest kit there, too. Looks like the store is reducing its plastic kits. It used to get new kits pretty quickly and I could find new ones there, if not at Hobby Lobby. 

That store is carrying Tamiya acrylic paint now, which is new. But it only carries the small bottles and didn't even have a full selection of them.  Internet and USPS to the rescue...

"M" mentioned the Revell kit he purchased was not shrink wrapped and was only taped close. This last week I purchased the Farm Tractor kit and had the same experience. I was concerned that someone may have gotten into the kit to pilfer parts, but that was not the case as everything was intact. Maybe with all of the changes going on with Revell this maybe their new packaging. Mine was taped on both sides and both ends.      

Picked these up today. The Cobra and Torino are sealed. And the only thing wrong with the big Mustang is the windshield frame is off. But a clean break and should be easily fixed. The Thunderbird promo is in great shape.And the white Mustang doesn't have a name on it. Could use a new front bumper once I find out more about it. The green Shelby is going into the purple pond. I want to see if I can replicate the same car the woman I bought these from owned. 

683C0DC6-50CB-4E2F-AE1B-F2753583C2D5.jpeg

5FB3C7E1-DD35-4E86-901F-828A2C1EDE2E.jpeg

F8CCE1A8-52C7-428B-A46D-22B2748EBF10.jpeg

Edited by ewetwo

2 hours ago, 64SS350 said:

Got a few things today, some from a friend I met at a swap meet, GT from a dealer I know, Escalade from Michael's at 50% off and decals from a hobby store.

11090.jpeg

Original AMT '65 Impala? I have its cousin, with the radical custom front end parts installed. Wouldn't the pair look cool restored and displayed together? 

65ImpalaCustom02.jpg.a3e83e389c1c6183793f7a0d71f5981d.jpg

2 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Original AMT '65 Impala? I have its cousin, with the radical custom front end parts installed. Wouldn't the pair look cool restored and displayed together? 

That would be cool!

6 hours ago, ewetwo said:

Picked these up today. The Cobra and Torino are sealed. And the only thing wrong with the big Mustang is the windshield frame is off. But a clean break and should be easily fixed. The Thunderbird promo is in great shape.And the white Mustang doesn't have a name on it. Could use a new front bumper once I find out more about it. The green Shelby is going into the purple pond. I want to see if I can replicate the same car the woman I bought these from owned. 

683C0DC6-50CB-4E2F-AE1B-F2753583C2D5.jpeg

5FB3C7E1-DD35-4E86-901F-828A2C1EDE2E.jpeg

F8CCE1A8-52C7-428B-A46D-22B2748EBF10.jpeg

Love the 1\16th Mustang, I have a couple 1\16th cars but can't build them yet I don't have cases for them yet....

2 minutes ago, SCRWDRVR said:

Love the 1\16th Mustang, I have a couple 1\16th cars but can't build them yet I don't have cases for them yet....

I’ve never seen one before. It’s pretty cool. And the little Thunderbird hot wheel is a red line. 

3 minutes ago, ewetwo said:

I’ve never seen one before. It’s pretty cool. And the little Thunderbird hot wheel is a red line. 

I like them all anyway I am a Ford guy LOL.... The redline is definitely cool too

9 hours ago, Snake45 said:

That's pretty cool. He said it was an old 3in1 with custom option, I hadn't seen one done like this before.

23 hours ago, espo said:

"M" mentioned the Revell kit he purchased was not shrink wrapped and was only taped close. This last week I purchased the Farm Tractor kit and had the same experience. I was concerned that someone may have gotten into the kit to pilfer parts, but that was not the case as everything was intact. Maybe with all of the changes going on with Revell this maybe their new packaging. Mine was taped on both sides and both ends.      

OK, thanks.  The VW was sealed exactly the same way, with round, clear seals on both sides and the ends. A standard "Euro" sealing method that Revell may be using for everything now. 

At HL a few years ago, I bought a Revell "Calif. Wheels" '59 Cadillac hardtop on clearance and it was re-sealed with regular tape. And had a warped roof, so definitely a return.  

Long as I'm here...the warped roof is a common problem with that kit. Revell stuffed it into a smaller box than the original issue.  The boxtop tended to push down on the roof and warp the thin A & B pillars. So if you're eyeing that kit at a swap meet or show, try to open it up and check for warpage. Another change in the "Calif. Wheels" kit: Revell removed the vinyl-top texturing of the original kit. That was fine by me. The vinyl top was a real Cadillac option in '59 but ultra-rare, and I'd rather make my own than try to grind down the texturing. 

TBH, I was surprised to see the '68 VW Beetle in HL at all. It's the "California Wheels" version that I thought was out of production.  The store only had one. But it was in a shelf slot marked "68 VW Beetle," so maybe it's making a comeback.

As noted a few pages back, I recently added an AMT/Matchbox 1/32 scale Porsche 917-10 kit to my collection. A lovely kit. The only thing I was not excited about, is that I'm not a big fan of the Martini Racing livery/sponsorship. Martini is okay. But, I use to have an Aurora AFX HO slot car with RC Cola markings that I really liked the looks of back in the day. That got me thinking. I wonder if anybody makes RC Cola decals for a 1/32 scale Porsche 917-10 kit? A little searching on the web, and I was happy to see that Indycals does. I've never purchased or used any of their decals before this. But, I've heard good things about them. Their service in getting the decals to me was pretty quick. And the decals look great. I'm now looking forward to building George Fuller's RC Cola Porsche 917. I hope the decals are as good as they look. 

IMG_3514.JPG

IMG_3515.JPG

I like unusual models. This one caught my eye. Since the bids were very low, I took a shot. The bids might have been low because the shipping was almost 20.00. When the box arrived, I understood why. This is a big kit. The idea is that you can assemble different body panels to make several variations on a car. I played with it a bit. Aside from the "calculator" to help decide combinations there were no instructions. It is basically large pin and tab system, but you have to figure out the order. The parts don't really want to stay together.

Update: A search on youtube turned up a video on a complete kit with instructions. One rainy day I'll pull it out an build a couple really big cars.

IMG_1598-vi.jpg

IMG_1599-vi.jpg

IMG_1600-vi.jpg

Edited by Scott Colmer

1 hour ago, Scott Colmer said:

I like unusual models. This one caught my eye. Since the bids were very low, I took a shot. The bids might have been low because the shipping was almost 20.00. When the box arrived, I understood why. This is a big kit. The idea is that you can assemble different body panels to make several variations on a car. I played with it a bit. Aside from the "calculator" to help decide combinations there were no instructions. It is basically large pin and tab system, but you have to figure out the order. The parts don't really want to stay together.

Update: A search on youtube turned up a video on a complete kit with instructions. One rainy day I'll putt it out an build a couple really big cars.

IMG_1598-vi.jpg

IMG_1599-vi.jpg

IMG_1600-vi.jpg

They also made one called Design-A-Plane, with which you could build hundreds of combinations of '50-s era jet fighters (roughly 1/48 scale, more or less), some of them similar to real-world airplanes, and course many of them not.  I had one as a kid, and bought one about a decade ago on eBay. It's a wonderful, amazing toy! B)

This is now the second time, I *had to* get a kit off eBay of something I missed when I was young.  The 1991 kit was a decent deal since the rear window was missing.  At the GSL swap I saw the 1964 slot car version of the kit, offered a little lower and snagged it.  Now that I'm comparing, see they are totally different molds!  The older kit had the modern wheels with P7s, which are feeling hard.  So now I have another resto-rod project possibility.

IMG_0357_Fotor.jpg

2 hours ago, Scott Colmer said:

IMG_1600-vi.jpg

Congrats on getting that kit! ^^^This looks like something from Brooks Stevens' studio.

Besides the planes and cars, they had a Design-A-House kit. You could build a nice '50s modern home from it, albeit in 1/48 scale, but you could measure the pieces and scale them up to 1/24 easily enough.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...