Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Finally broke down and ordered one of these. FMS RC 1:18 Chevy K-10 pickup. Now I can use a few of my many 1:18 dirt bikes to put in the back and I'm thinking about a new paint scheme for this one. The only problem, I can't seem to find any of the aftermarket goodies for these. In on video on YouTube, the guy says the brushguard , rollbar and KC lights all come from Shapeways. Looked on their site and couldn't find them anywhere. Shapeways had a terrible search feature. 

OIP (8).jpg

Picked up the new Nissan Z at my LHS. I'm thinking about doing a compare/contrast build with the reissued 1983 300zx kit. I'm doing the new Z in a pearl dark green with saddle over black interior. Bronze wheels and possibly bronze roofline moldings. Basically a phantom "special edition".

Found another little batch of cool survivors/rebuilders locally last week. Some funky stuff I don't typically run into.

The goldish 32 Ford in the Monogram "Son of Ford" kit.

The gold Mustang in an AMT Sonny and Cher kit.

I think the Jeep is the MPC "Bottoms Up" kit

The Phone Booth is the MPC original issue mid 60's Stroker McGurk kit.

The black panel is the mid 60's MPC 33 Chevy panel kit. This is a rebuilder I have been looking for.

Carmak

Iowa

Resized952022121095212028.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mike C. said:

Finally broke down and ordered one of these. FMS RC 1:18 Chevy K-10 pickup. Now I can use a few of my many 1:18 dirt bikes to put in the back and I'm thinking about a new paint scheme for this one. The only problem, I can't seem to find any of the aftermarket goodies for these. In on video on YouTube, the guy says the brushguard , rollbar and KC lights all come from Shapeways. Looked on their site and couldn't find them anywhere. Shapeways had a terrible search feature. 

OIP (8).jpg

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

4 hours ago, TonyK said:

I had never heard of Dmodel kits before. Box art reminds me of a Tamiya kit. Does it come with driver figures?

No it does not. Appears to be something along the lines of Belkits+ from the gander I've taken. Everything looks pretty decent on first inspection, certainly has a lot of parts to it and one of the largest and longest instruction manuals I've gotten in a while. First nit to pick would be the roof "rubbers" (the expansion joint between the roof and door frames) is molded weakly on the inside edges and has a prominent rise to it at the windshield that evaporates quickly thereafter. Some scribbing and sanding will take care of that, but it's not going to be confused for a Tamiya body any time soon. 

Acid test will be how well everything fits together for the $60-65 (before shipping) these are running.

15 hours ago, Mike C. said:

OIP (8).jpg

Try Ace Garage Guy's search tip that's pinned in one of the threads. That will likely find them. 

7 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Try Ace Garage Guy's search tip that's pinned in one of the threads. That will likely find them. 

I did go back and take a 2nd look at HPI guys YouTube video. The camper is from Hobby Burger. It's an Ebay store they have some stuff but no roll bars and the like.

I did order some of these finger surfboards from Ebay. They look like they will work with 1:18. Those fins are really tedious to scratch build and they come with leashes. 😎

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Mike C.
  • Like 1

/\ What were we doing in the 1980s?!

This week's arrivals:

1:24 Aoshima Toyota RAV4 kit

I think this is the original of an Airfix-boxed version that I already have, it's moulded in purple. My daughter wants one as a 1:1 so might build it with the funky colour (metallic pink,perhaps?) and chunky tyres that she's mentioned. Also discovered recently that it's possible to drop a Camry V6 in, like they do with MR2s.

1:25 AMT Ertl Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 kit

Going to get boring to say this every time one of these arrives, but this will probably be an engine donor.

1:43 Heller Renault Alpine A310 kit

Most recent kit to arrive and I've already started to build it for a Christmas group build on another forum. Despite some roof pillar damage I think it should go together OK, would be a good to get a quick, simple build knocked-off over the festive holiday period.

• Like 2

On 12/22/2022 at 11:50 AM, Carmak said:

Found another little batch of cool survivors/rebuilders locally last week. Some funky stuff I don't typically run into.

The black panel is the mid 60's MPC 33 Chevy panel kit. This is a rebuilder I have been looking for.

Carmak

Iowa

Some really neat models you found…

• Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 5:50 PM, Carmak said:

Carmak

Iowa

Nice collection: Nascar, Jeep etc. 

After bouncing around all week between several post offices on late Thursday I got my November order from Too Many Projects..some resin land yachts..

IMG-8634.jpg

IMG-8638.jpg

From eBay I got  '95 and '97 Olds Aurora promos to go with the silver blue '96 I've had for over 25 years.   Also got a black AMT '98 Olds Intrigue promo. 

IMG-8643.jpg

Edited by Rob Hall

A day early for Christmas. I Scored this classic kit from Ebay last night. Kind of got in the back door with this one. It was complete except it had no van body. I have a donor Revell van body that is from the same mold as this kit, so it worked out great. I still haven't decided if I want to build it myself or if I want to trade it for something else. With the 2 kits combined (Chevy Custom Van) you could build it any way you want it.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Got my last 60s Monogram 40 Ford pickup parts truck,the only reason I got it was the last parts truck was missing the carbs and unfortunately will not be able to save much more then the engine and rear suspension due to it being a very heavily glue bomb.  I can not believe I got so crazy about having all 60s parts for a all 60s build but was able to do it.

IMG_20221222_184434793.jpg

7 hours ago, Mike C. said:

A day early for Christmas. I Scored this classic kit from Ebay last night. Kind of got in the back door with this one. It was complete except it had no van body. I have a donor Revell van body that is from the same mold as this kit, so it worked out great. I still haven't decided if I want to build it myself or if I want to trade it for something else. With the 2 kits combined (Chevy Custom Van) you could build it any way you want it.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Very nice!

20 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

After bouncing around all week between several post offices on late Thursday I got my November order from Too Many Projects..some resin land yachts..

IMG-8634.jpg

IMG-8638.jpg

From eBay I got  '95 and '97 Olds Aurora promos to go with the silver blue '96 I've had for over 25 years.   Also got a black AMT '98 Olds Intrigue promo. 

IMG-8643.jpg

Great looking resin there Rob!