Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

28 minutes ago, Terminator-Fox said:

Getting back into the swing of models again after a hiatus. What's with the ludicrous pricing of kits on eBay? Anyway I'm not paying $150 for an old Tamiya kit. But FB marketplace browsing yielded me a great deal on a guy downsizing.

PXL_20230127_003324747.jpg

Yeah it’s wild. There’s a Harley Davison kit from Tamiya with all the bells n whistles I want, but it’s cost $500 or more to get it. High prices are mainly from folks seeing others selling a kit at a high price so they list there’s around the same. Also some think cause it’s out of production or super duper ultra rare they have to be worth hundreds n hundreds lol. 

Edited by Dpate
  • Like 1

On 1/27/2023 at 5:59 AM, doorsovdoon said:

Picked this up the other day. I love these basic promo style kits, I like to practice my scratch building skills on these! looks to have some nice kit in there too for the fire chief build.

impala.jpg

I will like to see what you do with this kit Gareth..

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, slusher said:

I will like to see what you do with this kit Gareth..

I'll probably go stock with the wire wheel caps, vinyl roof and lots of scratch building under the hood! I'll keep the fire Chief gear for the AMT '65 Surf Wagon.

Edited by doorsovdoon
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Terminator-Fox said:

Yeah, I don't know people need to come down to planet earth sometime. There's plenty of kits I'd like to have but I have enough to build for a lifetime and I'm not paying stupid money for anything.

This is the kit i was talking about.  Guy wants almost $700 for it lol.  There is another one on there for almost $800.  I would LOVE to own this kit someday, but I'll never pay that kind of money for it.

s-l1600.jpg.186f782207172f5b79095df4d179eff2.jpg

• Like 3

Based on Daniel Himmel's (Straightliner59) very helpful recommendation, I purchased some bees wax candles. I will try it on cutting blades as a lubricant, and if needed as an airbrush nozzle sealant. The amount is probably overkill, but I'm thinking that this will be a lifetime supply! LOL

2023-01-30 Bee's Wax Candles.jpg

20 hours ago, Dpate said:

This is the kit i was talking about.  Guy wants almost $700 for it lol.  There is another one on there for almost $800.  I would LOVE to own this kit someday, but I'll never pay that kind of money for it.

Considering what H-D want to license anything these days, and how wildly conservative Tamiya is these days - there's probably a 99.97% chance that kit is never going to be reissued again.

Got paint (Tamiya Pearl Green and TS13 clear) on my Ebbro Citroen DS21. The other panels are painted too except for the roof, which will be black. After a few days drying time I'll polish with Meguiar's Ultimate compound and polish. No dust, boogers or cat hair in this one!

PXL_20230131_172523238.jpg

PXL_20230131_172513975.jpg

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, jaymcminn said:

Got paint (Tamiya Pearl Green and TS13 clear) on my Ebbro Citroen DS21. The other panels are painted too except for the roof, which will be black. After a few days drying time I'll polish with Meguiar's Ultimate compound and polish. No dust, boogers or cat hair in this one!

PXL_20230131_172523238.jpg

PXL_20230131_172513975.jpg

Yeah, just realized I wanted to post this under "what did you accomplish today"... Oops. So I guess I got a painted body today?

1 hour ago, Bill Eh? said:

Jim, I'm not sure if you have Badman decals already. I bought mine through eBay:  https://www.ebay.ca/itm/123598535625?hash=item1cc70bfbc9:g:tecAAOSwk~VcYZgO

I do not - I was planning on ordering a set from SOMEONE - how was the quality on the ones you received?

Thanks for the heads up!  I can mask and paint the bigger graphics, but I would need a sheet for the smaller stuff anyway so I'll probably end up picking up a set...

19 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

I do not - I was planning on ordering a set from SOMEONE - how was the quality on the ones you received?

Thanks for the heads up!  I can mask and paint the bigger graphics, but I would need a sheet for the smaller stuff anyway so I'll probably end up picking up a set...

Similar to Indycals in that there is no carrier film and each graphic has to be cut out individually. The resolution appears to be quite crisp. I'm still at the stage of removing the moulded-in exhaust from the kit. LOL

2023-02-01.jpg

Edited by Bill Eh?
wording