Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Now they put "islands" and huge concrete light stanchions in parking lots to prevent that kind of thing.  Bunch of killjoys.

One kid in high school was doing doughnuts in a parking lot with his dad's Chrysler...misjudged things a bit and caved in one of the quarter panels.  I wonder just when he was allowed to drive again.

18 hours ago, lordairgtar said:

Grew up in Wisconsin. I moved to California and I went over the pass during winter at Truckee. The CHP stops everyone and makes them install chains. If you don't own chains, there are people on the side of the highway who will rent you chains and when you reach bottom, another guy removes your chains and returns your deposit minus rental fee. I pull up and get the spiel about putting on chains. I says NOPE! I'm from Wisconsin and I grew up in this stuff. I still had to install chains...but I sure went a lot quicker then most others. 

I lived most of my life in California, but did spend many of my formative years living just west of Chicago. This gave my plenty of time to start thinking I know all there was to know about driving in the snow. As you become older and hopefully wiser you should become more cautious. For a time, I lived in the San Bernardino National Forest area at 3500+ feet and snows could be substantial, wet, and heavy. I used snow tires alone and really had no problem getting around as long as the fresh stuff was 6 inches or less.  I eventually went to work in the valley and commuted up and down "the hill" daily. The CHP would setup a road block during snows to make sure everyone had chains, and they even wanted them on cars with snow tires at that time. They would still be there after the roads were clear. After the second day I just waved at the officer when I would drive by on my way home. By the third day he remembered my car and just shook his head as I drove by. My secret to success in getting around was a real clean granny fresh '53 Buick Special two door I picked up for $150. The straight 8 and Dynaflow couldn't spin the tires and it would accelerate smoothly and I ran 8.20x15 Firestone Town and Country tires. Never got stuck once with that car.  Truckee is another matter. Much bigger snows and they even have to provide living quarters for Caltrans workers to stay in during snowstorms. I have lived in Sacramento and going to Lake Tahoe for the day was a great way to spend a weekend, but without a 4x4 and or chains you're not getting out of there unless they have cleared the roads. Got lucky one time with a storm coming in while we were on the south shore gaming. I looked out the window and had to drag they others to the car since they thought it was just rain. The rain was coming down hard as we went toward Incline Village and Truckee. By the time we got to Truckee the CHP was already setting up roadblocks. I had an almost new '85 Monte Carlo SS with wider tires on IROC wheels and they were for dry pavement only.  I dropped in behind an 18-wheeler and followed his tracks most of the way to Alburn, that's how low that snow went. By then the couple with us understood why I was in such a hurry to get out of there. Tahoe is beautiful, but at that altitude when a storm from comes in you better react right away. 

• Like 2

Going from learning to drive in high school in S. Florida to college in NE Ohio was eye opening for winter driving (I'd spent childhood in Ohio but hadn't driven in the winter there until I was 18).   But I did 6 winters (college and grad school) in NE Ohio w/ an '86 Mustang w/ snow tires and got around pretty well.  Then lived in Michigan 3 years and Colorado 12 years always with an SUV for winter...then 8 winters in Arizona, and the last 6 winters back here in NE Ohio with an SUV.

One of the scarier driving experiences in winter was getting caught out unexpected in the wrong car w/ the wrong tires for the weather...when I lived in Colorado Springs, I went to Denver often on the weekends, and did have my 4x4 Grand Cherokee along w/ my '87 Mustang GT.   One 55 degree, sunny late October day in 2000 or so I drove the Mustang up to Denver for the day, then headed home after dark...as I approached Monument Hill (7300 ft elevation) on I-25, the temps dropped into the 30s and it started snowing...heavily.  I was on summer Firestone Firehawk tires, not particularly grippy for winter driving..I slowed down and crept along about 30 or so in the right lane, made it over the pass and dropped down towards Colorado Springs, no snow and clear at the lower (6000 ft) elevation....a bit of white knuckle driving for 15 min or so...after that, I paid very close attention to the forecasts for my Colorado trips...

Edited by Rob Hall
  • Like 2

If you think driving a car without snowing experience is an eye opener, I can tell you first hand that driving through that first snowstorm behind the steering wheel of a big rig can make you pucker on your seat in a new way. Had to stop at a Walmart and buy a package of new underwear!   Not really…however, it sure was interesting!  😳😲😉

Joe

7 hours ago, Mark said:

Now they put "islands" and huge concrete light stanchions in parking lots to prevent that kind of thing.  Bunch of killjoys.

One kid in high school was doing doughnuts in a parking lot with his dad's Chrysler...misjudged things a bit and caved in one of the quarter panels.  I wonder just when he was allowed to drive again.

Eh, there's not much to hit, in eastern Montana😄

Lol, getting it back on track... Parts and supplies are winging their way to me from around the globe for my upcoming build of the Italeri 1/12 Bugatti 35b. Yesterday I received a set of 3d printed wire locks for the bodywork from Unobtanium in the UK. Also got some fabric-wrapped copper wire for the ignition system and thin distressed cognac leather for my attempt at leather upholstery. 

Walked outside this morning to take some bills to the mailbox and found a fresh FEDEX delivery beside my door straight from Hobby Link Japan. The Toyota is going to be married to an extra Mustang Firefighter chassis I have, should make a believable Gasser.  The VW van may be massacred into something that has been on my mind for several years, and the wheels will be added to my collection of custom wheels that are patiently waiting to be used on some Day 2 builds.

IMG_2259.JPG

Edited by TarheelRick
  • Like 4

Just delivered by UPS from Holland,  4 Shapeways 3D printed, TRAX or two pairs as is the case, in 1/24-1/25 scale in white stiff plastic. I can now try to find the vehicle to fit them to, be it a Jeep, Smart Car or Meyers Manx!

photo2-vi.jpg

photo1-vi.jpg

I've just realised that these are upside down! The largest wheel is the driven wheel from an axle!

Edited by PatW
  • Like 2

Had these show up in the mail yesterday. 

My fav trucks combined with one of my fav guitarists? Can't go wrong with that!

One is still sealed, the other has been started and is missing a couple of things. But that's fine, as I have enough wheels and other spare parts to complete it.

Now I have three of these in the OBS stash.

And the guy I got these from, threw in the Joker Goon Car! As a fan of big 70s boats, I dig it!

20230215_184930.jpg

20230215_184945.jpg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Had these show up in the mail yesterday. 

My fav trucks combined with one of my fav guitarists? Can't go wrong with that!

One is still sealed, the other has been started and is missing a couple of things. But that's fine, as I have enough wheels and other spare parts to complete it.

Now I have three of these in the OBS stash.

And the guy I got these from, threw in the Joker Goon Car! As a fan of big 70s boats, I dig it!

20230215_184930.jpg

20230215_184945.jpg

Is the Boyd’s hauler die cast?

3 hours ago, ismaelg said:

Gerry,

That looks gorgeous.  What about the windshield?  Scratchbuilt from acetate?

Thanks,
Ismael

Yes.  There are some "blanks" from the printing process that appear to fit the windows.  Will use those for templates.  The bigger deal to form are the headlamp areas.  Being a GM guy, just had to get a modern one.   Still need to trade off my Meng Ford F350 though.  And maybe the A&N model Trucks RAM Dually too.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Exotics_Builder said:

Yes.  There are some "blanks" from the printing process that appear to fit the windows.  Will use those for templates.  The bigger deal to form are the headlamp areas.  Being a GM guy, just had to get a modern one.   Still need to trade off my Meng Ford F350 though.  And maybe the A&N model Trucks RAM Dually too.

Glad you got it and that you are satisfied with it. Thanks for the business!!!

• Like 2

My girlfriend visited some relatives the other week, while there, she stopped by a second hand store and found this Revell '60 Corvette. Issue date says 1976, so it's been hanging around for some time! It's opened but not started, looks like a multi piece body kit moulded in blue.

DSC03511.jpg

• Like 3