Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

On 2/1/2023 at 9:15 PM, HomerS said:

Growing up, my dad only built one model......the Kyote.  There was a AMT Gremlin Funny Car and the Revell Austin but life got in the way and he never finished them.

This weekend at a swap meet I saw the holiest of grails to me.  The vendor was rethinking on some of the kits he had on the table and pulled some back....this being one of them.  Having never seen one still in the box, i asked to open it.  The seller thought it was mint, but it wasn't.....it's been started and it's missing pieces.  After rethinking it, the vendor let it go for $10.  (Thank you Rob!!!!)

The built model still exists, but missing a few pieces.  Dad passed six years ago from Dementia.....wish he was still around to see this.

thumbnail (9).jpeg

That is awesome! I am very sentimental with things that were my dads or like he had. Especially since he passed away almost 7 years ago. Glad you were able to find this

8 hours ago, AZPartsLocators said:

That is awesome! I am very sentimental with things that were my dads or like he had. Especially since he passed away almost 7 years ago. Glad you were able to find this

I had one when I was a kid, have since picked up a couple of partially built/rebuilders.  I had a sealed one but sold it a few years ago.  By far, the best looking dune buggy body.

• Like 2

Stopped by HL this morning and Joyce picked out the T-Bird model but said she wanted me to paint it with a different color than pink. I got the gas truck and three cans of paint.  Then, during the afternoon, we went to the local model club meeting and came home with two more model kits which were won in the club raffle. 🙂

Joe

D5309870-07A5-4AE0-B993-4E8AFA97DCA5.jpeg

Edited by Joe Nunes
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Joe Nunes said:

Stopped by HL this morning and Joyce picked out the T-Bird model but said she wanted me to paint it with a different color than pink. I got the gas truck and three cans of paint.  Then, during the afternoon, we went to the local model club meeting and came home with two more model kits which were won in the club raffle. 🙂

Joe

All good additions to the stash, but man, that gas tanker will be super cool Joe!!

• Thanks 1

Hello,

I went to a model show today. I could not participate because it is a 2 day show requiring models to be registered today in the morning and to be picked up tomorrow afternoon. Nice concept, but I'm too busy at work and too far for me for doing the 2 days.  But I went today to say hello to many friends and see what's going on.  I also went with the idea of discussing selling many of my kits, which I did.  So this was not supposed to happen!
I ended up buying not one, not 2, but FIVE  1/32 scale Pyro kits from the 60's. 
2v2HUVzogxJ21ND.jpg  
(rofl)

2v2eQDA1zxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eQDApoxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eQDAc2xJ21ND.jpg

2v2eQDAw3xJ21ND.jpg

2v2eQDAfvxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,
Ismael

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

All good additions to the stash, but man, that gas tanker will be super cool Joe!!

I think so too. Joyce and I rejoined the local model club today and the theme for March is Big Rigs. Thought this would be a fun build and it fits the club theme without being too large of a model. I even opened the kit box already…🙂

Joe

On 2/10/2023 at 12:47 PM, espo said:

My only question is why people that live in this part of the world where you know it's going to snow from time to time and never seem to figure out how to drive in it. Several of the major hiways were actually shut down because of accidents, we're talking about 6 lane divided hiways. Lots of cars in the ditch and center divides with extensive body damage and some just abandoned.   

Best example of that is a church parking lot. Don't worry this isn't a religious comment, just observational humor...

You're talking about a group of people who are in the same place, usually the same exact parking space at LEAST 52 times a year. But the first time it snows enough to cover the lot everyone loses their minds and start to park completely contrary to the way the lot is striped and occasionally on sidewalks and in the fire lane. Like you KNOW where your car goes 48 other Sundays a year, why is it snow suddenly erases the rules? :D

Edited by niteowl7710

3 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Best example of that is a church parking lot. Don't worry this isn't a religious comment, just observational humor...

You're talking about a group of people who are in the same place, usually the same exact parking space at LEAST 52 times a year. But the first time it snows enough to cover the lot everyone loses their minds and start to park completely contrary to the way the lot is striped and occasionally on sidewalks and in the fire lane. Like you KNOW where your car goes 48 other Sundays a year, why is it snow suddenly erases the rules? :D

I agree as having observed much the same problem. I had mentioned all the cars in the ditch, and I'll share something we saw just yesterday afternoon. The weather has warmed and for the most part only melt runoff from snow piled in the shade. We had to run to the mall and go to a late lunch. This was to the north side of the metro about 10 miles away and you could tell that the area must have received 3 or 4 inches of snow during the storm. The terrain around some of the interchanges have a lot of drop offs and a few cervices that a car could and did slid off as more than a few were still stuck there. These seemed to be all small compact front wheel drive cars which makes me wonder what their tires condition might be, or was this all-driver error?  

1 hour ago, espo said:

I agree as having observed much the same problem. I had mentioned all the cars in the ditch, and I'll share something we saw just yesterday afternoon. The weather has warmed and for the most part only melt runoff from snow piled in the shade. We had to run to the mall and go to a late lunch. This was to the north side of the metro about 10 miles away and you could tell that the area must have received 3 or 4 inches of snow during the storm. The terrain around some of the interchanges have a lot of drop offs and a few cervices that a car could and did slid off as more than a few were still stuck there. These seemed to be all small compact front wheel drive cars which makes me wonder what their tires condition might be, or was this all-driver error?  

Unfortunately most of it is driver error.  These days almost no one has actually driven a vehicle on an actual skidpad to learn how to control/recover a vehicle, and not many more are taught vehicle dynamics so they'd have at least a "book sense" of how to control their vehicles.  Most people lose traction under acceleration, and then immediately slam on the brakes which breaks the car out of one skid into another and they ride off out of control into the sunset so to speak.  Look at all the videos of people sliding down ice covered hills at 5mph with their wheels locked, where if they just let go of their death grip of the brake pedal they'd be able to roll down the hill.  Much like the church parking lot it's a hill they've invariably sped down at 20-30mph over the posted speed limit on a near daily basis, but it's covered in ice and they slide down it like a drunken ballerina at less than 10mph bouncing off every other idiot that doesn't understand ABS doesn't function under 15 mph.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, niteowl7710 said:

Unfortunately most of it is driver error.  These days almost no one has actually driven a vehicle on an actual skidpad to learn how to control/recover a vehicle, and not many more are taught vehicle dynamics so they'd have at least a "book sense" of how to control their vehicles.  Most people lose traction under acceleration, and then immediately slam on the brakes which breaks the car out of one skid into another and they ride off out of control into the sunset so to speak.  Look at all the videos of people sliding down ice covered hills at 5mph with their wheels locked, where if they just let go of their death grip of the brake pedal they'd be able to roll down the hill.  Much like the church parking lot it's a hill they've invariably sped down at 20-30mph over the posted speed limit on a near daily basis, but it's covered in ice and they slide down it like a drunken ballerina at less than 10mph bouncing off every other idiot that doesn't understand ABS doesn't function under 15 mph.

I have to admit to more than a few late-night shenanigans in more than a few open parking lots during my misspent youth. After bouncing off of a few snowbanks you do start to get the feeling of what they call vehicle dynamics. The last thing you want to do is slam on your brakes on real slick surfaces. Usually, you can just take your foot off the gas and turn into your slide and the car almost corrects itself. 

As a tropical dude, I was in my late 20's the first time I ever saw (and drove on) snow.  Been the very first time I was way extra careful but I saw countless cars skidding and going into ditches.  I got into a shopping mall's empty parking lot at night trying to get the car to skid and slide.  To my surprise it was VERY hard to get the modern rental car break loose,  even pulling the parking brake while turning. The only amusement was the screams and threats of my fellow coworkers  :)   Far more fun than if I had gone alone.

• Like 2

Grew up in Wisconsin. I moved to California and I went over the pass during winter at Truckee. The CHP stops everyone and makes them install chains. If you don't own chains, there are people on the side of the highway who will rent you chains and when you reach bottom, another guy removes your chains and returns your deposit minus rental fee. I pull up and get the spiel about putting on chains. I says NOPE! I'm from Wisconsin and I grew up in this stuff. I still had to install chains...but I sure went a lot quicker then most others. 

On 2/11/2023 at 5:44 PM, Joe Nunes said:

Joe

Very nice kits Joe!