Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

I just got this one from ebay. With the leaf spring front suspension, it practically begs to have 4 wheel drive under it. Already have wheels and tires picked out. But this is for a future build. Took some inspiration from google pics.

20220126_125705.thumb.jpg.b9752e60dec35d00efd11552daebc3ee.jpg

1 1956 3100.jpg

Edited by Mike C.

On 1/24/2022 at 6:05 AM, Earl Marischal said:

With thanks to Steve for the suggestion, I got one of these lights today.

Before:

IMG_8474.JPG.81e56cd5395eb44236ac35a45c39407f.JPG

OK, I did have another light I could use but it wasn't ideal and it certainly limited what I could do without daylight.

And after:

IMG_8473.JPG.ed4688f4e4bcaabed8235c7995e7a650.JPG

To give it a real test I started the foil work on that '57 rebuild - all good so far. I've only briefly tried working with the 2x magnifying lens, could be increasingly useful over the coming years......

Thanks Steve!

Edited by Spottedlaurel
  • Like 2

You guys are killing me. Every time I think I have everything I could possibly want, something that I'd never seen before shows up here, or somebody reminds me of one I'd forgotten was on the hunt list.

Saw a guy here doing a Mad Max ('73 Australian Falcon) Interceptor, reminded I'd been after one long ago, found a Blue Fin (Chinese market Aoshima) version for not horrible money. Relatively simple kit, but what's there is a little better than I'd expected.

Image 1 - Aoshima 1/25 The Road Warrior Mad Max Interceptor Open Parts Bags Sealed E03

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

With thanks to Steve for the suggestion, I got one of these lights today.

Before:

IMG_8474.JPG.81e56cd5395eb44236ac35a45c39407f.JPG

OK, I did have another light I could use but it wasn't ideal and it certainly limited what I could do without daylight.

And after:

IMG_8473.JPG.ed4688f4e4bcaabed8235c7995e7a650.JPG

To give it a real test I started the foil work on that '57 rebuild - all good so far. I've only briefly tried working with the 2x magnifying lens, could be increasingly useful over the coming years......

Thanks Steve!

Thats nice. I could use one of those..

1 hour ago, Phirewriter said:

Would be nice if Aoshima would release the Mad Max Falcon again, wouldn't mind an extra. A stock version would be killer, want to build one like this.

It'd be nice if an Oz-based model company would start up. Those upside-down guys have a lot of really interesting cars. :D

• Like 1

There's so many cool cars that have been available in Australia since the late 60's to present that most people aren't aware of. Ford, GM(Holden) and Chrysler have put out some really interesting, cool muscle cars for the AU market. The last generation Pontiac GTO, G8 (GT &GXP) and Impala SS are basically Holdens. I don't have any go to websites, I'm sure there are some good ones dedicated to Australian muscle but a Google search will turn up lots of cool stuff. For many years my favorite racing series has been the V8 Supercars (along with DTM and BTCC)

• Like 1

More like what I DIDN’T get. Finally got to my favorite LHS (over 2hrs away). I was friendly greeted by the man behind the counter and asked if I was looking for anything in particular. “Yes,” I said, “Model Car Magazine”. “I think we’re all out” was the reply, and he directed to their magazine section. He was right, no MCM! 😟 I did manage to pick up some primer57845F83-1865-4382-BB64-0BF3E27FC64C.thumb.jpeg.b3d2f100cd7121a11fdf4ed6e6a921de.jpegand a cheap balsa glider suggested by my son as a fun project and a introduction to modeling to share with my 3 yr old granddaughter. She really enjoyed painting and flying it!ED186DA2-C055-42D1-988F-A043C5E5C044.thumb.jpeg.fb204bea31571af5d3ee67e06621e475.jpegIt was worth the trip!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phirewriter said:

Would be nice if Aoshima would release the Mad Max Falcon again, wouldn't mind an extra. A stock version would be killer, want to build one like this.

FB_IMG_1622401641249.jpg

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

It'd be nice if an Oz-based model company would start up. Those upside-down guys have a lot of really interesting cars. :D

the parts box do a few aussie bodies and curbside kits in resin

https://www.thepartsbox.com/

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Still can't believe no one has done the Australian Supercars. Such a popular series and you could do a couple of makes and a ton of different decals.

14 hours ago, #1 model citizen said:

a cheap balsa glider suggested by my son as a fun project and a introduction to modeling to share with my 3 yr old granddaughter. She really enjoyed painting and flying it!ED186DA2-C055-42D1-988F-A043C5E5C044.thumb.jpeg.fb204bea31571af5d3ee67e06621e475.jpegIt was worth the trip!

I remember those--they were everywhere including drug stores when I was a kid and sold for a dime. What do they cost now? Over $1, I'll bet. 

2 hours ago, #1 model citizen said:

$3.99. A buck or two more than I would have guessed 

:blink::blink::blink:

My last experience with these was at the beach about 20 years ago. I bought the rubber-powered, prop-driven version with wire landing gear and plastic wheels--top of the line. I think that one sold for 79 cents when I was a kid. I think I paid $3 for it at a beachfront kite shop--as I said, 20 years ago. That one must be $10 now! :blink:

50 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

:blink::blink::blink:

My last experience with these was at the beach about 20 years ago. I bought the rubber-powered, prop-driven version with wire landing gear and plastic wheels--top of the line. I think that one sold for 79 cents when I was a kid. I think I paid $3 for it at a beachfront kite shop--as I said, 20 years ago. That one must be $10 now! :blink:

Yeah, and a jar of mayonnaise that cost $.79 twenty years ago costs 5 bucks now.  B)

5 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yeah, and a jar of mayonnaise that cost $.79 twenty years ago costs 5 bucks now.  B)

Believe it or not, the next thing I clicked on on this forum after reading your post had a big ad for--Hellman's Mayonnaise! And I've never seen that ad here before--or anywhere else, for that matter! :blink:

19 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Believe it or not, the next thing I clicked on on this forum after reading your post had a big ad for--Hellman's Mayonnaise! And I've never seen that ad here before--or anywhere else, for that matter! :blink:

Google is always listening 🤫

• Like 2

On 1/28/2022 at 10:05 AM, Phirewriter said:

FB_IMG_1622401641249.jpg

Your welcome. 

https://www.bnamodelworld.com/model-cars-motorcycles-parts-decals-the-parts-box-tpb-1434

Edited by Sandboarder
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TonyK said:

Still can't believe no one has done the Australian Supercars. Such a popular series and you could do a couple of makes and a ton of different decals.

There is but unfortunately they found it hard to set up the 3D print shop and actually more some money. So there was a limit run of replica Super Utes and a few other side projects. 

https://imgur.com/TMYP9uV

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...