Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

1 hour ago, Mike C. said:

Thanks for both. I think I'll go down to my local Harbor Feight so I can look at it, test it out and hold it in my hands first. Some people still like to do that.

Look at HL. They’ve had LED ring lights with a magnifier and cover in past, where I got mine awhile back. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

A spectacular deal on this, which pretty well closes out my Mopar list:

Picture 1 of 8

...and a not-bad deal on this:

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.gCeODzwZD8nMkT2Ri7tUdgAAAA%26pid%3DApi&f=1&ipt=bbb8c01425754b2f56bb636c241c91fba25e761b1735f7b3e7605074cc5e4bf7&ipo=images    

It wants to be something like this:    index.jpg.18c70f13098cadf7debaf6369b056367.jpg

Love the Dodge. I didn't now they made that unbuilt as this is the first time I've seen one.

34 minutes ago, ewetwo said:

Love the Dodge. I didn't now they made that unbuilt as this is the first time I've seen one.

It's an AccuCast ABS (not resin) repop of a Johan promo, as far as I can tell.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/accucast-models-1959-dodge-custom-royal-2-dr-hardtop--1223217

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

4 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

A spectacular deal on this, which pretty well closes out my Mopar list:

Picture 1 of 8

...and a not-bad deal on this:

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.gCeODzwZD8nMkT2Ri7tUdgAAAA%26pid%3DApi&f=1&ipt=bbb8c01425754b2f56bb636c241c91fba25e761b1735f7b3e7605074cc5e4bf7&ipo=images    

It wants to be something like this:    index.jpg.18c70f13098cadf7debaf6369b056367.jpg

the rover v8 fits in those like it was meant to be there. i had one of the uk chevette hs' when i was in my teens but i didn't know what it was then and destroyed it by messing about in fields. the first time it got rolled my mates dad put in a very basic cage. by the time we were finished with it there was no hope of ever restoring it as we used it on dirt bike tracks and when we landed on top of the engine after one jump it was dead. in my defence i thought it was just an old chevette and treated it as such. probably why none of the vintage club will sell me cars now,lol

19 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

the rover v8 fits in those like it was meant to be there...

That's interesting. Thanks.

I have a 4 liter Rover engine that needs freshening, was seriously thinking about building a Locost 7 around it...but I bet I could find a blown-engine Chevette for a few bucks out West. Sure would make a fun little sleeper. :D

1 hour ago, Mark said:

The '59 Dodge was offered as an annual kit with an interior...one of only four car kits (all hardtops) made by Jo-Han that year.  First year for them in the kit business.

Thanks for the clarification. Your knowledge is much appreciated.

A seller on eBay has one with a Modelhaus interior for about 4 times what I paid for mine with no interior...which isn't an issue 'cause it won't get built stock anyway.

19 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

That's interesting. Thanks.

I have a 4 liter Rover engine that needs freshening, was seriously thinking about building a Locost 7 around it...but I bet I could find a blown-engine Chevette for a few bucks out West. Sure would make a fun little sleeper. :D

if it has a borgwarner auto box you'd be halfway there, just needing a bellhousing and engine mounts

1 hour ago, stitchdup said:

if it has a borgwarner auto box you'd be halfway there, just needing a bellhousing and engine mounts

This gets more interesting all the time.

I just recalled I also have a 5-speed manual gearbox out of a TR-8 that needs an input shaft bearing and maybe synchros. It has a bellhousing that should bolt to the Rover engine.

If I remember correctly, the US Chevette has a weird torque-tube rear end, but...

Hmmmmmm...

6 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

This gets more interesting all the time.

I just recalled I also have a 5-speed manual gearbox out of a TR-8 that needs an input shaft bearing and maybe synchros. It has a bellhousing that should bolt to the Rover engine.

If I remember correctly, the US Chevette has a weird torque-tube rear end, but...

Hmmmmmm...

the rods and sods forum in the uk probably has loads of guys thats done the conversion and it can be pretty good just to browse but theres a load of them have been done. heres a more in depth build of one  https://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/36945/1978-vauxhall-chevette-v8-2012

one of the uk mags built one on a beer and cigs budget back in the early 90s too but i'm not sure if ever got finished

2 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

the rods and sods forum in the uk probably has loads of guys thats done the conversion...

Thank you, sir!   :D

What with the Rover V8 being based on the old GM 215 alloy V8, it's almost a natural for one to find its way into a Chevette...and the idea of having a UK-style hot rod has definite appeal.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

My mom had two Chevettes; not sure about the torque tube, but you'd probably want something a bit more substantial for a rear axle if you swap to anything with more juice than the stock engine anyway.  

Buick V6 might be a good swap, I might not be remembering right but the Chevette automatic transmission was a TH150, which later ended up behind V6 engines.  I'm not saying a Chevette TH150 would bolt up to a V6, but if both used that transmission then the V6 version might just fit into the same space.

A local guy had a Chevette with a Buick Grand National V6, every so often he'd show up at the local 1/8 mile strip.  His GN engine was the early one without the intercooler, but it was pretty quick anyway as I recall.  That car didn't have huge tires out back, but it was a "rear half" car with a roll bar in it.  I do remember it had Centerline wheels all around, the narrow fronts having donut spare tires mounted on them...you could see the lettering on the tires.  I haven't seen that car in recent years, not even at outdoor car shows or on the street...wonder what happened to it.

Don Hardy did for a short time sell a kit to swap a small-block Chevy into a Chevette, but not for long.  My older brother measured one up for such a swap, I recall him saying the engine would squeeze in but the transmission tunnel would need to be cut out and enlarged.  I remember it being tight in front to start with, though I did know a guy about 6'6" who put about 200,000 miles on one (a Scooter, no less...)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tbill said:

Someone else recently had posted they got a parking garage display case, it intrigued me, so I looked into it, and got myself one, it showed up today, neat little display piece with lights .

76C3E01E-D8FB-4808-8FDF-3846A19DB652.jpeg

E66D0D4B-5AC7-4C75-8341-FA99BB6D948A.jpeg

752772FF-BDBD-4A0D-A60B-97A63A94F6F2.jpeg

That's really nice! Got a link?

6 hours ago, tbill said:

I went on Amazon and typed 1/25 parking garage in the search,  a couple of different styles are available.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, crazyjim said:

I got the 2 car version for my birthday.  Amazon and ebay have them.  Be sure to check pricing.  I saw an Amazon unit for $49, scrolled down and found an identical unit for $37.00. Ebay was at $41.00.

Thanks!

Another of the recent Hasegawa Toyotas, this one probably the nicest so far:

IMG_3757.JPG.a2da93b533668103110f746a989bdb14.JPG

A very well engineered kit, with solid and moon roof options and crisp detailing, and including the top half at least of an engine. I compared it to the rather older Fujimi MR2 kit I also have, the latter wasn't quite as clunky as I remembered but it does have a somewhat longer wheelbase and larger arch openings. I suspect the Hasegawa kit is the more accurate of the two.

Hasegawa for a stock(ish) build, and Fujimi for something a bit more modified I reckon.

• Like 2