Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

5 hours ago, dbostream said:

I have to do the same, I have lost control. :) 

To be honest, this one has been on the wanted list since building the 58, I've seen a few listed on eBay going for silly money, and there's the shipping on top, this one I picked up for less than £30 including the shipping.

Picked these 4 old built-ups today off of Craigslist. She said they were her older brother's who had passed away years ago and she was done carting them around. The Duster is missing it's hood scoop by the looks of it. I think the Camaro is an MPC. I have a partial MPC Camaro kit so I'll match them up. The 57 is missing a few pieces that I think I have. Except for 1 tail light and the chrome trim pieces that are on the top of the rear fenders? Would they be on this kit seeing it's a drag or hot rod? The Nova is complete and even has white fur for the carpeting. So 7o's right? LOL. Don't know what I'm going to do with them. Patch them up or what. Some damage to the bodies from the glue that was used. 

The Super Snap kit was from Ebay. I think it's the original kit of the 49 Mercury and it was cheap. Date on the box says 1977?

image0.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image7.jpeg

image1-1.jpeg

image8.jpeg

On 12/13/2019 at 7:07 PM, Rob Hall said:

Dropped in the local Ollies...they had lots of toys, very few models..they had a maybe 5 kits on the shelves, the only one that got my attention was the AMT (ex-ERTL) International Transtar 4300 Eagle for $19.99. I do dabble in heavy trucks, never had this kit, so got it..

I stopped in the closest Ollie's today.  Same as yours, only a few models and they were scattered all over the store.  Nothing as good as that Transtar Eagle. Buried under some other stuff, I found a Lindberg Crown Vic with the display case and grabbed it. I need another CV like I need another elbow, but the display case and goofy "security decals" made it worth $9.99.

A couple of on-topic books were lurking in the store. "Muscle & Chrome" is a hardback photo history of American cars from the '46 Ford Sportsman to the '71 Hemi Charger.  Every car's engine compartment gets a photo, which is useful.  "Knucklehead" is a large-format hardback history of the Harley-Davidson you-know-what engine.  With many old advertisements etc.

1 hour ago, ewetwo said:

Picked these 4 old built-ups today off of Craigslist. She said they were her older brother's who had passed away years ago and she was done carting them around. The Duster is missing it's hood scoop by the looks of it. I think the Camaro is an MPC. I have a partial MPC Camaro kit so I'll match them up. The 57 is missing a few pieces that I think I have. Except for 1 tail light and the chrome trim pieces that are on the top of the rear fenders? Would they be on this kit seeing it's a drag or hot rod? The Nova is complete and even has white fur for the carpeting. So 7o's right? LOL. Don't know what I'm going to do with them. Patch them up or what. Some damage to the bodies from the glue that was used. 

The Super Snap kit was from Ebay. I think it's the original kit of the 49 Mercury and it was cheap. Date on the box says 1977?

image7.jpeg

Sweet score! That Nova looks like it might be a good "rescue" candidate. Drive on! B)

11 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

The paint job isn't all that great (like I should talk LOL). The fur might be an issue as the seats titter around a bit because of the "fun fur '. (a 70's statement as a lot of vans had "fun fur" in them if you know what I mean. LOL) ;)

Poor, but patient guys like me benefit from being the single bidders on low price eBay auctions like this, where the seller had an incomplete mislabel for this pair. Been looking for a Blackforce for quite a while just to rob the baby moonwheels from it. However, the longer I look at the Super Coupe, the more I think I can throw a pile of my other unused/unloved parts at it to turn it into a neat rod project.

1314697996_BlkforceSuperCoupe.jpg.880cae1863f1dd4a445ce8eb5664b498.jpg

2 hours ago, ewetwo said:

Same here Leroy. Something to just mess around with.  Maybe out side my stock building. ?

The Camaro would be neat if you can save it.  Sometimes you don’t know what you’re getting into until you take it apart. The Camaro has a bubble in the roof from glue. I am sure he was proud of them or they would be long gone..      A sold me a 540 Monogram Mercedes and gave me a box of one bad attempt to build one. She said it belonged to her neighbor lady as was her sons models he had passed on. I built the unopened one but the open one was just glued pieces. Every time I see the one I built I wish I could have helped that guy build one model "......

Edited by slusher

Some more arrivals this week. I didn't realise the wheels were all metal until they arrived so I'll put some street blisters tyres on them for one of my vws. The frog merc is pretty nice but the front of the body has a ridge where the mold wasn't properly aligned but should be an easy fix. The buick and pontiac are both rebuilders

DSC05672.JPG

DSC05668.JPG

DSC05669.JPG

DSC05670.JPG

7 hours ago, Exotics_Builder said:

Arrived today.  Will be looking to merge with the Aurora/Monogram/Revell DB4

Here's a link to a DB-4 build from earlier this year.  The builder shows the Revell/Doyusha bodies side by side.  The Revell kit is 1/25, the Doyusha 1/24 but you know that and can probably work around it.  The second link goes to a history of all the DB-5 kits, posted on the FSM site in 2017 by "Gear Head 6."  He writes: "In the 1990s, Doyusha in Japan tooled up a very basic curbside chassis for a vintage DB5 slot car body of unknown origin." I never knew that.

http://custom-model-society.boards.net/thread/2181/aston-martin-db4

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/4/t/150420.aspx

9 hours ago, slusher said:

The Camaro would be neat if you can save it.  Sometimes you don’t know what you’re getting into until you take it apart. The Camaro has a bubble in the roof from glue. I am sure he was proud of them or they would be long gone..      A sold me a 540 Monogram Mercedes and gave me a box of one bad attempt to build one. She said it belonged to her neighbor lady as was her sons models he had passed on. I built the unopened one but the open one was just glued pieces. Every time I see the one I built I wish I could have helped that guy build one model "......

I have an unbuilt MPC Camaro but the hood was glued to the cross pieces. Not complete. So my thought was I could use the body. But the roof kind of ruined that idea Carl. 

3 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Here's a link to a DB-4 build from earlier this year.  The builder shows the Revell/Doyusha bodies side by side.  The Revell kit is 1/25, the Doyusha 1/24 but you know that and can probably work around it.  The second link goes to a history of all the DB-5 kits, posted on the FSM site in 2017 by "Gear Head 6."  He writes: "In the 1990s, Doyusha in Japan tooled up a very basic curbside chassis for a vintage DB5 slot car body of unknown origin." I never knew that.

http://custom-model-society.boards.net/thread/2181/aston-martin-db4

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/4/t/150420.aspx

Will need some tweaking.  But I already had the Goldfinger DB5 and didn't want to "cobble" it into a stock version.  It even has the figures in it.
SAM_2431.thumb.JPG.a270cf5f04e674af12cd9f1a344e8d06.JPG

When I compared that to the DB4, there is less size difference than I expected, given that the 1:1 DB5 is slightly larger.  It will be a while before I put this on the bench, but they are getting more rare

Sadly the figures seem larger than 1/24. I don't have them to hand, but that's my recollection/disappointment. Kit really is Monogram/Aurora clone in some ways, awful Dunlop wires (replace with RMCM wires/tires). Body is ok, only real option anymore. Airfix better, but price difference has narrowed a lot.  

19 hours ago, stitchdup said:

Some more arrivals this week. I didn't realise the wheels were all metal until they arrived so I'll put some street blisters tyres on them for one of my vws. The frog merc is pretty nice but the front of the body has a ridge where the mold wasn't properly aligned but should be an easy fix. The buick and pontiac are both rebuilders

DSC05672.JPG

DSC05668.JPG

DSC05669.JPG

DSC05670.JPG

Great score on the Hasegawa kits. I may have some extra parts for the Buick if you need

On 12/17/2019 at 10:13 AM, stitchdup said:

DSC05672.JPG

Can you tell us more about these wheels, like the brand and catalog number? The reason I'm asking is because I've been chasing after Ronal wheels for years, and maybe these are the answer? Thanks in advance!

Rob

4 minutes ago, robdebie said:

Can you tell us more about these wheels, like the brand and catalog number? The reason I'm asking is because I've been chasing after Ronal wheels for years, and maybe these are the answer? Thanks in advance!

Rob

these are scale production 17 inch versions but i think they are resin centres now. ucsp also do them in resin in other sizes with tyres. I'll post up some comparison pics later if i mind on

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...