Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

13 minutes ago, PatW said:

Again from good old ebay UK a used Monogram '29 Ford Roadster Pickup, just a few bits missing to make a whole one (a frontwheel & tyre) but two running board frames/two chassis/two bonnets/hoods etc, so plenty to build at least one and a half as soon as I find another front wheel & tyre!

photo-th.jpg

PM sent 

21 hours ago, GeeBee said:

Another kit I sold on last year, another one I really should have kept, luckily I've just tracked down another, and this one is factory sealed.

Glad to hear somebody else does that.  Maybe we should start a new thread: "The One That Got Away...And Came Back." 

Many years ago on eBay, I sold the Matchbox 1/12 kit of the Vincent Black Shadow.  This was before the Revell reissues, so the kit was hard to find. It got lots of  bids and sold for a great price.  I should have been happy but wasn't, since I instantly regretted selling it.  Not long after, I saw the same kit on eBay with no bids and the auction nearly ended.  I placed a low bid and expected to get sniped.  No, I won it, for much less than the one I sold. Lesson learned - I've had that "replacement" Black Shadow kit for many years and plan to keep it.

On-topic: I just picked up another AMT '23 Model T roadster, and the Revell '70 AAR Cuda.

16 hours ago, PatW said:

Again from good old ebay UK a used Monogram '29 Ford Roadster Pickup, just a few bits missing to make a whole one (a frontwheel & tyre) but two running board frames/two chassis/two bonnets/hoods etc, so plenty to build at least one and a half as soon as I find another front wheel & tyre!

photo-th.jpg

Ah Pat, one of my favorite kits, from my favorite series of Monogram kits.  This baby goes back to the early 1960s as the Blue Beetle, and has been issued a number of times.  These are fairly simple kits that go together well and give nice results.

image.png.734cc0dc077108db921528e3f5dbb8d7.png

Here's two of them, the green one was built from someone else's unfinished project. The blue is an original Blue Beetle kit that I'm currently rebuilding.

I found this in the original packaging today at the local Salvation Army store. It cost me about the same amount ($15) as a scrapper would pay for one today, but back in the day, the 1:1 version was the only official demo I ever had as a dealer employee. All it needs is a set of plates to complete the look. 

DFD838AB-FB94-4120-B3D3-BC9A12D2BE43.jpeg

FE1FA163-B6B4-4748-AB38-713CF41857DC.jpeg

A chassis for one of the hasegawa american cars just arrived with the post, it beat the kits as they were sent with a courier so take longer. This ebay seller will get great feedback as they could have just chucked it out and said nothing as it wasn't included in the pics. brilliant service

On 12/11/2019 at 2:59 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Ah Pat, one of my favorite kits, from my favorite series of Monogram kits.  This baby goes back to the early 1960s as the Blue Beetle, and has been issued a number of times.  These are fairly simple kits that go together well and give nice results.

image.png.734cc0dc077108db921528e3f5dbb8d7.png

Here's two of them, the green one was built from someone else's unfinished project. The blue is an original Blue Beetle kit that I'm currently rebuilding.

Thanks Tom.

Dropped in the local Ollies...they had lots of toys, very few models..they had a maybe 5 kits on the shelves, the only one that got my attention was the AMT (ex-ERTL) International Transtar 4300 Eagle for $19.99. I do dabble in heavy trucks, never had this kit, so got it..

9 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Dropped in the local Ollies...they had lots of toys, very few models..they had a maybe 5 kits on the shelves, the only one that got my attention was the AMT (ex-ERTL) International Transtar 4300 Eagle for $19.99. I do dabble in heavy trucks, never had this kit, so got it..

I just recently got one of my customers (an ollies employee) to take my number and give me a buzz when a new shipment comes in.

I honestly can't wait!

Aftermarket wheel/tires.  Not like you think, it's a military model!  I re-discovered (it's like hiding Easter eggs over and over) that the evil tires melt plastic, got the Italeri kit some time ago, discovered they melted the plastic on the cab and some other parts (pen pointing to the spots, you can see an outline of the tires).  I figured someone came up with a replacement, there are resin tires with a "sag", but these injection molded plastic wheel/tires were a little cheaper.  There is photo-etch parts too, but I'm not going there.
IMG_1029_Fotor.thumb.jpg.6988cfea37ea9732d4424a4e1df7d198.jpg

Really stoked about getting these thin wall stainless tubes.
IMG_1028.thumb.jpg.298860d9a4113e6d9a2413d9c2f5f7af.jpg

8 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Aftermarket wheel/tires...I figured someone came up with a replacement, there are resin tires with a "sag", but these injection molded plastic wheel/tires were a little cheaper.  There is photo-etch parts too, but I'm not going there.

Good catch on those wheels/tires.  AFAIK, The Show Modeling is out of business.  They started up in the early 90's and did an incredible number of 1/35 scale vehicle accessories. Everything from photo-etched sets to paper Zimmerit sheets and plastic parts like your wheels. TSM was a Japanese company, so their instructions were sometimes...interesting.  One of the slogans printed on their packaging always cracked me up: "For Your Good Hobby Life!"

Those sagged resin tires are often over-rated, IMO.  Worst case, the resin caster just re-pops the original wheel/tire with a sag.  And any mistakes in the original part are carried over to the resin item.

1 hour ago, Mike999 said:

Good catch on those wheels/tires.  AFAIK, The Show Modeling is out of business.  They started up in the early 90's and did an incredible number of 1/35 scale vehicle accessories. Everything from photo-etched sets to paper Zimmerit sheets and plastic parts like your wheels. TSM was a Japanese company, so their instructions were sometimes...interesting.  One of the slogans printed on their packaging always cracked me up: "For Your Good Hobby Life!"

Those sagged resin tires are often over-rated, IMO.  Worst case, the resin caster just re-pops the original wheel/tire with a sag.  And any mistakes in the original part are carried over to the resin item.

I'm totally out of the loop on military models, I know there are forums for them.  Good to know about out-of-business detail, anymore I snatch up whatever when I see it, don't wait around.  Instructions have "spear" wheel. ?

No pics yet, but the model club had their yearly Christmas party tonight, ended up coming home with the recent reissue of the 90's era AMT '67 GT-350 and Lindberg '64 Plymouth (with the 426 Street Wedge and /6 in the box!), and one of the "Uptown" Caddy STS-V sedan kits. Already planning on de-blinging the Caddy and may use the Pegasus 17" sleeves with tires on the Shelby for a Pro-Touring-ish build.......now sure how I want to approach that Plymouth kit yet though, maybe something that's a cross between a period Stock Car and a "Street Fighter" type Pro-Touring car........although it just dawned one that it might also have a slight resemblence to a moonshine car if I do it how I would like:blink::lol:

I'm going to do my best to cut down on buying more models in 2020, but as it's still 2019, I've just bought this one,  I enjoyed building the 58 Corvette earlier in the year, not much difference in the 59, mainly just details on the body and interior, and this one comes with the hardtop.

91RM8igoFfL._SX425_.jpg

11 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

No pics yet, but the model club had their yearly Christmas party tonight, ended up coming home with the recent reissue of the 90's era AMT '67 GT-350 and Lindberg '64 Plymouth (with the 426 Street Wedge and /6 in the box!), and one of the "Uptown" Caddy STS-V sedan kits. Already planning on de-blinging the Caddy and may use the Pegasus 17" sleeves with tires on the Shelby for a Pro-Touring-ish build.......now sure how I want to approach that Plymouth kit yet though, maybe something that's a cross between a period Stock Car and a "Street Fighter" type Pro-Touring car........although it just dawned one that it might also have a slight resemblence to a moonshine car if I do it how I would like:blink::lol:

I'm a tad too far away now to have made it.  ?

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...