Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

I gave up yard work ( cutting grass and trimming ) last year , couldn't stand the heat and still breathe . Yard service does a nice job and doesn't mind when I ask for other things done . Now I'm going through radiation treatments , everything changes , you have to do what you're able to . I still do gardening , in buckets , so I don't have to bend as far over or plow ! Seems the older I get ( almost 68 ) the more I want to do , but can't . It's just life and we have to adjust accordingly , so do what you can and enjoy it .

14 hours ago, High octane said:

That idea would work for some modelers, but not the majority. And what about new builders, would they need to know how to take care of that process right off the bat?

I would think chrome annoys the new builders too, as they get confounded and confused when their chrome parts don't glue together as well as the other bits. Not knowing that it's easier if they sand the chrome off the surfaces to be glued. They don't know that process either.

The chrome stripping is just one more step that slows the process down for me. And it irks me.

21 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I'm only mildly irked. Not even irked, exactly. Just disappointed that I can't do as much yard work (without feeling like I've been beaten by a gang of thugs with baseball bats afterwards) as I could a few years back.

I'm there with you Bill!   I've been preparing a house to sell and it's a lot harder than I remember the last time!   I had thought about retiring from my day gig and flipping houses, but this give me second thoughts!

8 hours ago, High octane said:

While I haven't looked at any instruction sheets lately, I believe that they state that plating and painted surfaces must be scraped before gluing.

Only rarely in my life have I bothered to strip the chrome before gluing a part on, and in nearly all of those cases it was a fit issue. Don't believe I've ever lost a chrome part due to it falling off from not being de-chromed. 

In deconstructing glue bombs, I've noticed in some cases that deliberate disassembly of chrome parts is easier in some but not all cases. Sometimes they're just as stuck together as anything else. 

Nowadays I'm more likely to attach chrome parts with superglue, epoxy, or Tacky Glue, none of which cares a bit if the part is chromed or not. Or BOTH parts, for that matter. :lol:

I've stripped a lot of chrome in my day.  Mostly because I didn't want the parts chromed... things like the entire rear end in the AMT '57 Ford kit.  I've also stripped and rechromed because the chrome was bad, old, faded or had awful mold lines across it.   I am very good with BMF,  I have wrapped entire bumpers.  I've also used Alclad in the spray can successfully.

My tip for stripping chrome.  Mr Clean kitchen floor cleaner.  Put some in a clear glass juice glass. Put bumpers in and you can see your progress through the glass.  I usually just leave it overnight.  It's most times clean at that point.  Dump Mr Clean back in it's bottle for the next time!

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

I've stripped a lot of chrome in my day.  Mostly because I didn't want the parts chromed... things like the entire rear end in the AMT '57 Ford kit.  I've also stripped and rechromed because the chrome was bad, old, faded or had awful mold lines across it.   I am very good with BMF,  I have wrapped entire bumpers.  I've also used Alclad in the spray can successfully.

My tip for stripping chrome.  Mr Clean kitchen floor cleaner.  Put some in a clear glass juice glass. Put bumpers in and you can see your progress through the glass.  I usually just leave it overnight.  It's most times clean at that point.  Dump Mr Clean back in it's bottle for the next time!

Interesting! I see from the MSDS that Mr. Clean is "alcohol ethoxylates (nonionic surfactant)." Never heard of it. What else will it do? Will it remove paint? Will it take off BMF residue without removing, say, Testor or Tamiya lacquers? Can it be used as a thinner for acrylics? I might have to get a bottle for some experiments.B)

3 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I'm there with you Bill!   I've been preparing a house to sell and it's a lot harder than I remember the last time!   I had thought about retiring from my day gig and flipping houses, but this give me second thoughts!

Weird thing is that though I was just flat whipped last night, I felt great today (other than the old standby lower back pain). Looking back, I think I just got dehydrated. I was sweating like a pig, but didn't drink much water because it was cool. I also remember offloading some dark yellow exhaust liquid, so that kinda has to be it.

At the end of summer, I did some pretty heavy work for several days out in AZ., and it didn't bother me at all...BUT...I'm very conscientious about staying hydrated in the desert.

40 minutes ago, OldTrucker said:

Weather turned too soon and don't have anything painted for a winter build.

Guess I'll spend the winter with guitar in hand a lot!

Get a kit molded in good color and learn to polish plastic. I have several plastic-polishing projects lined up for the winter. B)

3 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

If you look at the label it will show that it contains sodium hydroxide (Lye). Caustic chemical. Same stuff that is in oven cleaner, and the purple stuff.  I'm not surprised that it removed "chrome" from plastic parts.  But is smells much better than the other stuff. I buy the lemon scented version (for cleaning floors too). :D

On 11/23/2018 at 8:04 AM, Classicgas said:

Model builders that insist on adding spark plug wires that resemble either a daddy long legs spider or a water fountain.

Haha, this made me laugh!  I can picture exactly what you mean too!

Today's irk: the (admittedly temporary) air mattress in our new apartment lasted precisely a month before deciding it prefers to be UN inflated all the time.  Sleeping on the floor until we get a replacement isn't super fun

Everytime the local news reports how low gas prices have dropped, Speedway must issue a 9-1-1 alert and they lead the area jacking prices.  Gassed up the G8 on the way to work at $1.99/gallon (some areas were $2.03 and the highest $2.10.  On the way home tonight, every station was $2.45/gallon.

17 minutes ago, HomerS said:

Everytime the local news reports how low gas prices have dropped, Speedway must issue a 9-1-1 alert and they lead the area jacking prices.  Gassed up the G8 on the way to work at $1.99/gallon (some areas were $2.03 and the highest $2.10.  On the way home tonight, every station was $2.45/gallon.

thats not bad when you consider the average price in the uk is $7.15 a gallon

23 hours ago, OldTrucker said:

Weather turned too soon and don't have anything painted for a winter build.

Guess I'll spend the winter with guitar in hand a lot!

Oh!  The horror!  :D  That will be my next few months, too!

13 hours ago, HomerS said:

Meh, gas here in the Edmonton area is currently 93.9 cents per liter. I think that works out to about $3.55/gallon which is about $2.67 US. Cheapest it's been in at least a couple of years.

15 hours ago, HomerS said:

Don't matter much to us any more. We have had this current car for 8 years and only put a little over 20,000 miles on it!

This irk was from a few days ago,  the cheap $60 compressor I bought didnt even last two months, stopped working while I was spraying 2k clear, great timing really.  I should of known better, but it had decent reviews.

Recent Irk, DHL and USPS,  cant do the one thing they are getting paid to do, and that is move parcels from one location to another, without losing them. 

Edited by martinfan5

Waiting all day for something really important to come in my mail.Only to find out that the government decided to halt all USPS business,close NYSE,close certain banks,and federal offices,along with the Supreme Court.All this to honor the funeral of George Bush.I have never heard any other president getting this type of recognition before.I guess he will be remembered as a great man...Now Mr.GB Jr,is a whole different story.:D:P