Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

7 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

It sucks when stuff breaks during this pandemic. The head of my HOA sent out a panic email to our development email chain asking if anyone knew a plumber who could install a new water heater quickly. 

He’s a decent guy in a jam so I dropped him a reply that if he was really stuck, I knew how to do the job. He responded with gratitude that he had a plumber on his way there. 

I will not touch a Hot Water Heater myself. I think I could do it having watched ours being replaced a few times. With the soldering of pipes and playing with Natural Gas lines not to mention getting the exhaust to the roof and not blow anything up I would rather pay the right person for the job. 

35 minutes ago, espo said:

The Refrigerator was purchased new from the Furniture Mart on March 18 this year, and started turning my ice cream to soup by April 18. I consider this a rather short life span for any appliance. I want them to replace it with a new Refrigerator because of the defect in the one we purchased.   

i did not remember it was new. Sounds lilikethey should replace the the fridge no questions asked....

5 hours ago, espo said:

Well the refrigerator saga continues. We got lucky and the repair guy was here Friday at 5 P.M. Seems the Condenser on our 30 day old Reffer is leaking and freezing up, parts on order now. I'm calling the Furniture Mart Monday to give them the opportunity to replace it with a new one before I call Channel 41 News. And just when you think nothing else can go wrong you just have to go to the basement and find out your Sump Pump has died. Fortunately I have a few skills and bought and installed a new one. The water wasn't getting onto the floor yet, but the settling cracks in the floor did show moisture. The new pump ran for a couple of hours steady before it got to the point where it was going off and on pumping the water out from under the foundation. I'm almost afraid to ask what tomorrow will bring. 

A sump pump is one thing that I like to have a spare new one "on the shelf" just in case. I have found that Mr Murphy will always cause important equipment (like a sump pump) to fatally malfunction 10 min after the stores close on a saturday night. A water heater, a fridge/freezer or a furnace ceasing to work is inconvenient but water getting into your house is destructive and can get expensive very fast.

9 hours ago, Toner283 said:

A sump pump is one thing that I like to have a spare new one "on the shelf" just in case. I have found that Mr Murphy will always cause important equipment (like a sump pump) to fatally malfunction 10 min after the stores close on a saturday night. A water heater, a fridge/freezer or a furnace ceasing to work is inconvenient but water getting into your house is destructive and can get expensive very fast.

You are correct about the possible damage. Every ones situation is different. In our case the pump may have been out for a time, I just don't know for how long. We often spend evenings on our back deck and we could here it run from time to time and we would joke that the sound was from "The Belly of the Beast". We have been experiencing a lot of evening rain showers and just haven't enjoyed the deck for a couple of weeks, so I can't say that it was working or not. We are situated near a body of water and the basement level is only a couple of feet above that level and there are springs in the area so our pump get a workout when we get heavy rains. We are lucky since a new Minards opened near use about a month ago and they have an amazing amount of in stock equipment and better pricing that the other two home suppliers I have used for years.  The actual installation is very simple, even I can do it. 

We had to have our sump pump brought up to code because the EPA told the city that all houses needed a sump pump instead of the water going into the sanitary sewer. Well ours only needed a couple of ground hoses re-directed and a couple of out of date drains cemented shut.                                                                                                                                                                                                                        While they were doing that I asked if there was any kind of back up system if the electric went out. They said that they had one that ran of regular old city water and explained how it worked. The wife and I decided to have it put in. It wasn't cheap (1000.00) installed, but since than it has paid for itself 100 times over. Twice during a heavy rainstorm with the power out for several hours it worked great keeping our finished basement dry. Found out that it was a great investment.

2 hours ago, Cornpatch said:

We had to have our sump pump brought up to code because the EPA told the city that all houses needed a sump pump instead of the water going into the sanitary sewer. Well ours only needed a couple of ground hoses re-directed and a couple of out of date drains cemented shut.                                                                                                                                                                                                                        While they were doing that I asked if there was any kind of back up system if the electric went out. They said that they had one that ran of regular old city water and explained how it worked. The wife and I decided to have it put in. It wasn't cheap (1000.00) installed, but since than it has paid for itself 100 times over. Twice during a heavy rainstorm with the power out for several hours it worked great keeping our finished basement dry. Found out that it was a great investment.

Sounds like a great invest indeed. Our sump pump went out a  few years ago and we had a flooded crawl space, what a mess!

On 4/27/2020 at 2:11 PM, Cornpatch said:

I must be missing something with your back up electrical system. You paid aprox. $1000.00 for an electrical back up ? Many area Home Supply places around here offer an eze to install electrical back up using a car battery or some of the newer Lithium Ion battery systems for about $200.00 or less. They're just "plug and play" systems. Plug it in and walk away. We had one of the old style car battery types in a house about 25 years ago and when we lost power for a couple of days during a bad storm the Sump would run when ever it was needed.  

I resolved my sump problem with matching sump pumps, one is a spare, My quick change system involves a union on the drain pipe where I can easily disconnect the pipe . The one way valve is between the union and the pump, When the pump fails I just swap the pumps that are pre plumbed with the same height of pipe to the one way, put the one way on the new pump, reconnect the union end of the pipe to the one way and submerge the pump, reconnect to the union, plug it in and let it do its job. Have an alarm system to alert to high water in the tub.

greg

21 hours ago, espo said:

I must be missing something with your back up electrical system. You paid aprox. $1000.00 for an electrical back up ? Many area Home Supply places around here offer an eze to install electrical back up using a car battery or some of the newer Lithium Ion battery systems for about $200.00 or less. They're just "plug and play" systems. Plug it in and walk away. We had one of the old style car battery types in a house about 25 years ago and when we lost power for a couple of days during a bad storm the Sump would run when ever it was needed.  

No it's not an electrical system. It runs purely on the city water.  It's hooked to the water where it comes into the house, than they run a plastic pipe over to the  sump pump hook it into to sump pump just like it was a sump pump and run it back out to the outside. I really can't explain it the right way, cause I ain't no plumber.  But it works, and that's all I really care about.

3 hours ago, Cornpatch said:

No it's not an electrical system. It runs purely on the city water.  It's hooked to the water where it comes into the house, than they run a plastic pipe over to the  sump pump hook it into to sump pump just like it was a sump pump and run it back out to the outside. I really can't explain it the right way, cause I ain't no plumber.  But it works, and that's all I really care about.

Sounds like a water-powered turbine, which utilizes pressure from the city water to run the sump pump.  Interesting.  Wastes tap water, but it keeps the basement dry.  And the city will be happy you ran up the water bill. Win everywhere. :D

What happened to real journalism?  This is an actual story from a local TV station website:  (I removed the person's name)

Police said the shooting victim, {Name Redacted}, 21, was taken to {Redacted} Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

{City} police said the investigation is ongoing.

The victims name has not been released pending family notification

This is why all the stories on Yahoo are videos as none of the 'journalists' can type!

16 minutes ago, HomerS said:

What happened to real journalism?  This is an actual story from a local TV station website:  (I removed the person's name)

Police said the shooting victim, {Name Redacted}, 21, was taken to {Redacted} Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

{City} police said the investigation is ongoing.

The victims name has not been released pending family notification

This is why all the stories on Yahoo are videos as none of the 'journalists' can type!

I know what you mean. The local TV station, while I like them, they just cant get the wording correct when they are describing some event that has taken place. Also the banner that runs at the bottom of the screen has many errors in their grammar and even spelling. I have found if you have a general idea of what type of event they are talking about you can still figure it out. 

Ya know.. with all that’s going on and trying to hold it together, stuff still happens!  

With the major winds yesterday I had a huge tree come down. I live halfway down a major hill and when we have winds over the mountain, the air at ground level can be still, with the wind roaring by higher than the trees. And times it dips down with bad results.  

AF85F877-5B3A-4086-8BAF-7DFEE912B37E.jpeg.4ac7721fe9630becb5c07df39cae610d.jpeg

F7355AF5-6A4E-424E-AD6A-1C29F855DBB8.jpeg.e5a650bc7553817aef5e7b8532957bda.jpeg

7AB994B0-C96E-4317-8A5E-20978E648213.jpeg.fd3b653e4efcde8c263101de88f20a8d.jpeg

We lost a huge cherry tree at the back of the property. Didn’t even notice. Last time I looked out yesterday all the neighborhood deer were huddled under the bushes right there as they often do. This morning my wife gets an email from our back door neighbor that we lost a tree! Crud!

This is the second time this has happened, nailing the nice fence both times!  I am putting a notice out on the town board offering free cherry wood for anyone who wants to cut it up. We will see how that goes!

And it’s all Ron’s fault for all the tree talk! ?

Since the start of the virus lockdown in the uk the same 2 drunken neighbours have had a bonfire every night. We have had one night when we could open out windows without having to put up the the stink of god knows what they are burning. I have trouble sleeping if i cant open my windows at night so i'm really getting stressed by it now. One bonfire every few weeks would be ok but every night is beyond a joke and theres no point complaining to the council as they are pretty much closed at the moment.

5 hours ago, stitchdup said:

Since the start of the virus lockdown in the uk the same 2 drunken neighbours have had a bonfire every night. We have had one night when we could open out windows without having to put up the the stink of god knows what they are burning. I have trouble sleeping if i cant open my windows at night so i'm really getting stressed by it now. One bonfire every few weeks would be ok but every night is beyond a joke and theres no point complaining to the council as they are pretty much closed at the moment.

Yes, I have that same problem here. Although it seems to have stopped last week (well, because the weather was rainy). I think boredom makes them do it.  But like you said, if I open the windows, and the wind is blowing the smoke in my direction, my house stinks like I was living in a smokehouse.  Disgusting!  So we have a COVID-19, which is a pulmonary disease which makes breathing difficult, and here we are polluting the breathable air with stinky smoke!  There is no logic, for some people.

If bored, build some models, not burn bonfires.

Edited by peteski

I am slowly getting used to the new format of this forum and I find it more user friendly.  However I do find it quite tiresome to open a "WIP" forum post and find pictures of a completed model that should be in the former "Under Glass" section.  The "WIP section is just that, a place to post progress and photos of a project that is a work-in-progress, not a finished build.  To post a finished build, scroll on down the page to where it says "Model Cars, NASCAR, Model Trucks, etc and post your finished build there.  Only takes a few seconds more, but it makes the forum more sensible.

Haven't been able to buy dishwasher detergent the last couple of weeks. Grocery store had empty shelves again yesterday. What's up with that?! I use the powdered kind but didn't see the tablets/pods either. Wife went to a different store today and said the shelves were empty there too. Things you would never give a second thought about and now all of a sudden it's another toilet paper fiasco.

8 minutes ago, TonyK said:

Things you would never give a second thought about and now all of a sudden it's another toilet paper fiasco.

It’s a funny thing.. for us it’s been napkins. I’ve haven’t had much of a problem with toilet paper or paper towels, but no napkins anywhere. Oh well we just use paper towels for now.

So a long time ago when i was a teen i had braces to fix my teeth being al over the place.
When i had them removed after they had done their job i got 2 metal wires glued to the back of my teeth to get them to stay that way.
Yesterday i bit down on something and a piece of that went up behind the wire and with a snap it had come loose, no problems it happens sometimes.

But yesterday when it happend i could not get a appointment to any dentist at all to fix it.
My normal would not fix it as they blamed on "material shortage"
No problems i thought i can just call the denstis that are in the city i live in now..
Nope they will not accept any new patients right now because of corona...

So here i am and having to bend that piece of wire out of the way a few times every hour so it will not stab my tounge.
A bit annoying but i can live with that, i have no other choise anyway apparently..
Wonder how long it will take untill i can get it fixed...

5 minutes ago, PierreR89 said:

So a long time ago when i was a teen i had braces to fix my teeth being al over the place.
When i had them removed after they had done their job i got 2 metal wires glued to the back of my teeth to get them to stay that way.
Yesterday i bit down on something and a piece of that went up behind the wire and with a snap it had come loose, no problems it happens sometimes.

But yesterday when it happend i could not get a appointment to any dentist at all to fix it.
My normal would not fix it as they blamed on "material shortage"
No problems i thought i can just call the denstis that are in the city i live in now..
Nope they will not accept any new patients right now because of corona...

So here i am and having to bend that piece of wire out of the way a few times every hour so it will not stab my tounge.
A bit annoying but i can live with that, i have no other choise anyway apparently..
Wonder how long it will take untill i can get it fixed...

Like you I also endured Braces in my teen years, and that was in the last century,. I have know understanding of your medical system there but I would think some one would be able to help you since this is a medical emergency. I once had one of those metal bands come lose and was stabbing the inside of my cheek.