Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

20 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

Just noticed the cross hanging on the fence and what appears to be another on the ground. That makes me presume this is not the first fatality at that particular site. The world is in too much of a hurry...

Yup, noticed that too.

Problem is that any fool with enough bucks to buy a car that'll do over 120 might think he's automatically Mario Fangio, and wreaking death and destruction is often the end result.

You can't fix stupid. You can just hope it removes itself from the gene pool without taking too many innocent souls with it.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

You can't fix stupid. You can just hope it removes itself from the gene pool without taking too many innocent souls with it.

Amen! I've been introduced to a few in my lifetime. One in particular always seemed to have a horseshoe up his sleeve while others suffer the wrath.. 😡 someday.. POW 💥 Karma will come a knocking.. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

image.png.5baba6e1ec5f94a1d78bc73f02747238.png

Just noticed the cross hanging on the fence and what appears to be another on the ground. That makes me presume this is not the first fatality at that particular site. The world is in too much of a hurry. This morning I was going into town cruising along the interstate a bit above the posted (77 in a 70). I was passing cars, looked in my rearview and saw the top of another car. First chance I had I moved over and allowed it to pass. No sooner had it got past me when another car sped past me, whipped into the right lane passed the first one, then back into the left lane and took off down the interstate.

This highway has the nickname Blood Alley.  There was a run of head-on accidents, ADOT got Federal funding to get that high concrete median built, which made me have to U-turn now.  Has anyone seen such a median anywhere else?  It hasn't helped.

40 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

... ADOT got Federal funding to get that high concrete median built ... anyone seen such a median anywhere else? ...

Is it just my faulty old eyes, or does that median resemble a potential Dukes of Hazzard launch ramp for fast downhill folks?

• Like 2

HOA's.. 😡  we had a few storms blow through with high gusting winds. A few of us neighbors had a shutter or two break loose. The two busybodies we have that walk the beat went out as soon as the storms past and started writing up violations without giving anyone a chance to act on fixing their issues.. I can't wait till the next meeting. We have individuals who habitually violate the codes and yet nothing is done or said to those individuals. That's going to change! One rule we have is that there is to be no work vehicles with business markings allowed to park overnight anywhere in the neighborhood or in your own driveway. Yet a Mr. & Mrs. Of the same household drive and park daily their two different businesses branded vehicles wherever they dang please.. Others have been reprimanded and even fined for doing so..  RULES APPLY TO EVERYONE EQUALLY.. 

Edited by A modeler named mike
Cleaned it up not to offend
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

That's all well and good, but as you said, more often then not those Darwin Award Recipients also take some some innocent lives along with theirs.Or better yet, they survive the crash while others perish.  It is just not cool!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Russell C said:

Is it just my faulty old eyes, or does that median resemble a potential Dukes of Hazzard launch ramp for fast downhill folks?

I've been wary of that from day one!  Yes, the sign post sure won't stop a launch.  So if I'm several cars back in the U-turn lane, I would be dead.

I don't have a big problem with handicap parking spaces, I do wonder if some are mentally handicapped.  A place I do business at all the time, got new pavement.  They also deleted one parking space for other people, with the diagonal line box, and made the end spot (behind me) really narrow.  Next time, if there is no HC sign at the diagonal box, guess what?  Oh wait, the ramp......
IMG_8608.thumb.jpeg.6b74a5768eb3cd8d84fd01475fc38ddd.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, A modeler named mike said:

HOA's.. 😡  we had a few storms blow through with high gusting winds. A few of us neighbors had a shutter or two break loose. The two busybodies we have that walk the beat went out as soon as the storms past and started writing up violations without giving anyone a chance to act on fixing their issues.. I can't wait till the next meeting. We have individuals who habitually violate the codes and yet nothing is done or said to those individuals. That's going to change! One rule we have is that there is to be no work vehicles with business markings allowed to park overnight anywhere in the neighborhood or in your own driveway. Yet a Mr. & Mrs. Of the same household drive and park daily their two different businesses branded vehicles wherever they dang please.. Others have been reprimanded and even fined for doing so..  RULES APPLY TO EVERYONE EQUALLY.. 

That is extreme, demand seeing the By-Laws and make them point out where they can do that.  I'm having the same heartburn about my County doing selective enforcement by the building department.  Some time ago, had a client who was going to build his home on the last lot, at the end of a street, pie shape, hillside, custom design to every setback line except the front.  The HOA design review committee was the homeowners in the immediate vicinity, when I walked in, could tell the old woman hunched over the plans was going to be the problem child.  She was on the left side, said he needed to save some Scrub Oak trees by reducing his footprint, then unrolled her sketch over my blueprints! 😳  I let the customer answer, since he was going to have to coexist with her.  Then the guy on the right, said he needed to save the trees! 😠  I said in a dripping with sarcasm voice, "tell you what, why don't you both buy the lot, then split it so you can save the trees?!?!"  Her look was worth it. 🤣  I have begged off homes in HOAs by doubling my going rate.  I don't live in an HOA for this reason.  Recently got this email:
image.png.0e1f7632321080cac568b9fb6275e3d5.png

• Haha 2

On 4/11/2024 at 8:28 AM, iamsuperdan said:

We're trying to get them rerouted, as they're on railcars right now...

image.jpeg

Lets hope they stay on the rails as well :P 

A customer, anticipating his new '15 F150 in late 2014 had to wait a little longer...

1214trnwrkfrdssk_zpshfgawrhc.jpg.b8b45533f4a83b863c2b0b408bc764a7.jpg

15f1oops.jpg.46369bd5e7456dffe2c9045a36acadea.jpg

due to a wreck in Saskatchewn   :wacko:     Local wreckers won their bids for some of the carnage.

Edited by mk11

2 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

... I don't live in an HOA for this reason...

I don't either. Old neighborhood, some semi-slum houses that have really gone downhill due to a change in "demographics" in the last ten years, some getting bought cheap, resto'd and yuppified, sold on by Sotheby's and other hotsy-totsy realtors.

Clown just bought the ex-rental house next to me, came by with a master plan to get streetlights put on all the slightly dark spots, and trying to get a new HOA up and running.

I wouldn't sign his streetlight petition, telling him one reason I don't live IN THE CITY anymore is that I like it DARK at night. Then he starts whining on about how I'll feel safer. Listen mister...even though I look like an old fossil to you, the only person not safe on my property is someone I didn't invite. And...I've lived here 10 years without having anyone telling me what color I can paint my own dammmmmed mailbox, and he can take his HOA and stick that with the streetlight proposal.

I don't think he likes me anymore.   B)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

That is extreme, demand seeing the By-Laws and make them point out where they can do that.  I'm having the same heartburn about my County doing selective enforcement by the building department.  Some time ago, had a client who was going to build his home on the last lot, at the end of a street, pie shape, hillside, custom design to every setback line except the front.  The HOA design review committee was the homeowners in the immediate vicinity, when I walked in, could tell the old woman hunched over the plans was going to be the problem child.  She was on the left side, said he needed to save some Scrub Oak trees by reducing his footprint, then unrolled her sketch over my blueprints! 😳  I let the customer answer, since he was going to have to coexist with her.  Then the guy on the right, said he needed to save the trees! 😠  I said in a dripping with sarcasm voice, "tell you what, why don't you both buy the lot, then split it so you can save the trees?!?!"  Her look was worth it. 🤣  I have begged off homes in HOAs by doubling my going rate.  I don't live in an HOA for this reason.  Recently got this email:

It's all a lie.. Don't buy into it! I can't wait to be out from under our HOA.. Just have to convince the wife.. Already have the other house with no HOA. Its a no brainer for me.

3 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

THAT is some seriously hysterical satire, there, Kurt!   Fortunately, that snowflake can't possibly believe that tripe-trope.   😵🤮

We moved about three years ago. We had built our forever dream home in 2000. HOA by laws weren't really a problem and enabled us to get rid of the basketball back boards removed that kept popping up in the driveways. The area was starting to look like a school playground. Problem came up a few years ago when it was time to repaint our home. Ours and our good neighbors next door were both shades of beige and brown and were basically painted the body of the home one color and the trim a contrasting shade and we kept them the opposite of each other. HGTV decided that a light green shade was the latest and greatest color for a home, and we were tired of the beige anyway. The Architectural Commitee got their BVD's in a bunch since we were supposed to only use Earth Tones per the HOA bylaws. Green and grass I guess doesn't equal earth tone description. The worst part was the head of the committee was the only person that didn't like it and his home was about 5 or 6 years past time to repaint and the trim paint was flaking off his house. He did get a little huffy when I pointed this out to him as I recall. At the HOA Meeting with most of the homeowners voted in our favor. So, when we decided to downsize and move, we sold the home to a great younger couple with a family, and they were really nice people and loved the house. They wanted to paint it a white color and dark trim. You can guess where that went and who was leading the charge. The new owners contacted us as they had in the past when they had made some changes inside that better fit their family's lifestyle. We still had the papers from when the home was built and listed the exterior colors when first built. Guess what color the house was, white with blue trim. Wish I could have been at the HOA meeting when they presented their new color scheme. Not sure about the black door, but it's theirs to do with as they please. 

• Like 2

Decided to count how many fenceposts my fence have since it has been bad since we moved here. Since this is a homebuilt fence i cant buy the style it is and i have to make it myself. Found out that if i make 600 posts i will have 5 spares to fix the existing fence.... As a bonus we are expanding it and adding more fence sections and are going to have the same style so in total i will have to make 3000 identical posts... atleast i know what i am going to do during my vacation....

More of a head scratcher than an irk but it does irk my wife since she has to deal with it. Amazon let's us know when a package is delivered to her mom who is 94 years old to make sure she is aware of it. Today we get the notice but her mom said there's no package. We look at the picture they took and there is no package in the picture!

So what did the driver do with it? And why would he/she take a picture of......nothing? So many questions on this situation. The wife goes to her moms Amazon account and says there was no delivery. Amazon said they have until Monday afternoon to verify there was no delivery. It takes that long? <sigh>

On 4/26/2024 at 11:03 PM, 89AKurt said:

have you seen the old british tv series called prisoner? i think this letter is the plot line, lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Do these HOAs have legal status? Why can’t you just tell them to go boil their heads?

People who own properties in the UK that have what’s called “Listed” status have to follow certain rules but not “ordinary” homes.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/what-is-designation/listed-buildings/#:~:text=Listing marks and celebrates a,it is to be listed.

Never heard of such organisations as HOAs here in the UK.

steve

19 hours ago, Earl Marischal said:

Do these HOAs have legal status? Why can’t you just tell them to go boil their heads?

People who own properties in the UK that have what’s called “Listed” status have to follow certain rules but not “ordinary” homes.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/what-is-designation/listed-buildings/#:~:text=Listing marks and celebrates a,it is to be listed.

Never heard of such organisations as HOAs here in the UK.

steve

We have similar rules and guidelines here like your "Listed" status. They are referred to as a Historical site or a Landmark. Those structures have special guidelines that must followed to the tee to insure the preservation of historical accuracy when repairs or replacements are made to any portion of those structures. Not all communities have an HOA.. Each Home Owners Association has a set of bylaws/rules that apply to each property equally under the scope of the HOA. There's no opting out and there's yearly dues that must be paid. If you don't pay and fall in the rears they can place a lean on your home which must be settles before they ok the sale of your home. You must sign an agreement when buying a home under an HOA. At this time they supply you with a copy of the bylaws.  An HOA usually has board members made up of individuals who own and live in the community. These members are voted in annually during a special meeting. An HOA can be a good thing IF you get board members who are not busy Buddies, know it alls or just downright pain in the arses. I was on our HOA architectural board for 2 years.. Never again. People acted as if you owed them a rubber stamp on their request even if was obviously against the bylaws.. Can't wait to be out from under their thumb! Just know you're lucky you all don't have them.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Parked my little smile-inducing daily driver away from the mob this afternoon at Home Depot. Returned to my car, and a 5'4" 200 lb driver was extracting himself from this compensation-mobile in the next space. He rolled coal at me with his eyes.

I was happy to see license plate frames from a local dealership that is known for overcharging for third rate garbage and spearing people with high interest rates on used vehicles. Hopefully he will be underwater with this pile until 2028 or so.

PXL_20240430_024354195.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Rodent said:

Parked my little smile-inducing daily driver away from the mob this afternoon at Home Depot. Returned to my car, and a 5'4" 200 lb driver was extracting himself from this compensation-mobile in the next space. He rolled coal at me with his eyes.

I was happy to see license plate frames from a local dealership that is known for overcharging for third rate garbage and spearing people with high interest rates on used vehicles. Hopefully he will be underwater with this pile until 2028 or so.

Compensation for inadequacies no doubt. 😂

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Rodent said:

You can never park far enough from morons... They're like magnets, one always deems it necessary to park with you.. from my observations over the years it seems that it's the the behemoth individuals that roll out of the tiniest cars, always makes me chuckle..

• Like 1

23 hours ago, A modeler named mike said:

from my observations over the years it seems that it's the the behemoth individuals that roll out of the tiniest cars, always makes me chuckle..

Back when my family owned the service station, I was working there one morning and my brother-in-law asked me to move an RX-7 into the service bay.  He was so big he couldn't get into it!  I used to bust his chops that if he won a new car it would be an RX-7

• Haha 1