Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint Strippers - What to Use?

For those in Europe, the EU Authorities do a much better job than the US in protecting the residents and the environment from nasty chemicals. Thus when you can even find the same trade products as available in the US, yours will be formulated differently.

I found that out when attempting to align maintenance practices and storeroom inventories between the USA and European plants.

• 1 month later...
On 7/22/2021 at 9:42 AM, Rodent said:

I have had several instances of Tamiya sprayed directly over styrene that is pretty much impossible to remove with any of our "known" strippers. 

Steve, a couple of years ago I wrote a model column on paint stripping for Australian Street Rodding magazine.  I tried oven cleaner, caustic soda, brake fluid and iso-propyl alcohol.  The only thing that budged Tamiya for me was Dettol disinfectant, diluted 50/50 with water.  It took overnight and then takes a LOT of wiping and scrubbing to get the sticky mess off but off it did come. My first coat of Duplicolour primer after the strip revealed no issues.  I'm not a fan of the smell and the clean-up is tedious but if you have old Tamiya, I think it is your only option.

Cheers

Alan

Interesting. . .  Now to find the indgredients list.

EDIT: looks like I found it: https://www.livestrong.com/article/166094-dettol-antiseptic-ingredients/

Ingredients in Dettol Antiseptic

Active ingredient: Chloroxylenol BP (antiseptic, disinfectant)
    Isopropyl alcohol (antiseptic)
    Pine oil
    Castor oil soap
    Caramel coloring
    Water

I wonder if it is the Isopropyl Alcohol that is doing most of the paint removing work?  After all, Many people have success using it for removing Tamiya spray paints (lacquers).

Edited by peteski

I thought I would give the Purple Super Clean a try.  I've had my body parts in the drink for 48 hrs and nothing so far.  The body was painted with acrylic paint and cleared with acrylic lacquer.  Just how long does this process take to start seeing results? 

20210910_115044_resized_1.jpg

Update on the Purple Super Clean.  I took a toothbrush and went over the body yesterday and it's starting to take the paint off.  I'll take a look see when I get out in the garage this morning to see how well it's done. 

Looks like the Purple Super Clean did a pretty good job.    

20210913_084903_resized.jpg

Edited by Zippi

• 2 months later...
On 9/13/2021 at 7:48 AM, Zippi said:

Update on the Purple Super Clean.  I took a toothbrush and went over the body yesterday and it's starting to take the paint off.  I'll take a look see when I get out in the garage this morning to see how well it's done. 

Looks like the Purple Super Clean did a pretty good job.    

Bob I know I am a little late with this for you. I see you are in a northern state. If it is not warm where your purple pond is at ( above 60) it will strip paint slower. Room temp of 70 plus is better. Around 90 to 95 works very fast. I do not have central air and the fastest I stripped any paint was a warm summer day. 

• 2 months later...

I recently had to replace one of my strip tanks. As I started searching i stumbled upon these at WalMart. If you're like me you have your paint striping tanks at your bench and have to carry them to the nearest sink for cleanup. This container has a built in handle for easy transport. And they're a good size, big enough to fit a Buick Riv easily inside.

• 3 weeks later...

Did I buy the wrong stuff? Car and some parts have been soaking in this for a solid week and it did nothing at all. Zilch! I could have soaked it in water and got the same results. It was painted with enamel. This was the only stuff at Walmart. Is the right stuff only at the automotive store?

20220317_144209.thumb.jpg.76da7706ee961a1f168d4da62dfcbb3f.jpg

Edited by Mike C.

4 hours ago, Mike C. said:

I guess not all purple degreaser is created equal. O well, auto parts store it is............

Make sure not to use the stripper in cold environment. Cold reduces potency of all the strippers.  Use them at warm room temperature (80-90 deg. F).

11 hours ago, peteski said:

Make sure not to use the stripper in cold environment. Cold reduces potency of all the strippers.  Use them at warm room temperature (80-90 deg. F).

Sorry, I know it's off topic, but my mind went other places after reading your post. Lolz. 🤪

Okay, carry on with the topic at hand....

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a limit on how long the paint has been curing? My Galaxie body and parts have been soaking for a good week now and now only seems to have darker splotches all over it.  It was painted with enamel and probably has been curing for a few years now. I'm getting ready to try the brake fluid route next.  Which one am I supposed to use now DOT 3? Did They change the formula for the Super Clean or something? 

1 super clean.png

Mike, there are multiple types of paints and multiple types of paint steppers. Certain combinations of paint and strippers work well, others do not.   As I said earlier, even the temperature of the stripper can affect its potency.

There is no list of which stripper works the best with which paints.  At least no list I know of. I don't even have my own list compiled.  I have and use about half a dozen of various stripping liquids.  it is not an exact science, but more like an experiment.

You mentioned "enamel", but no specifics.  What brand of paint is it?  Maybe someone can offer some specific advice once we know more about the paint.  As for the paint age, sure it can be harder to strip decades old paint, but usually there are ways to strip even old paint.  However there seem to be some paints or primers out there which are very difficult to strip.

12 hours ago, peteski said:

Mike, there are multiple types of paints and multiple types of paint steppers. Certain combinations of paint and strippers work well, others do not.   As I said earlier, even the temperature of the stripper can affect its potency.

There is no list of which stripper works the best with which paints.  At least no list I know of. I don't even have my own list compiled.  I have and use about half a dozen of various stripping liquids.  it is not an exact science, but more like an experiment.

You mentioned "enamel", but no specifics.  What brand of paint is it?  Maybe someone can offer some specific advice once we know more about the paint.  As for the paint age, sure it can be harder to strip decades old paint, but usually there are ways to strip even old paint.  However there seem to be some paints or primers out there which are very difficult to strip.

This is the enamel I used. I'm relatively sure I used some kind of primer but I can't be certain which. I just got this stuff off the shelf at Home Depot.  I'm soaking all the parts cover (to keep evaporation at bay) at room temperature. Maybe I'll move them on top of the heater and see if that helps.

20220331_092522.thumb.jpg.6822630d7584ef81315f0f6d45dd9921.jpg

I don't have any experience stripping that specific paint.  If Super Clean doesn't work (even warmed up), then I would move onto other strippers.  Next up for me would be Scalecoat Wash Away paint remover, or Testors ELO (used to be called Floquil Easy Lift Off) paint remover. ELO contains an ingredient from the same chemical family as DOT3 brake fluid.  Do not immerse your model in those strippers - follow directions on the bottle.

Also, have you tried 91% (or even better, 99%) Isopropyl alcohol?  Again, it works the best when slightly warm.

14 hours ago, peteski said:

I don't have any experience stripping that specific paint.  If Super Clean doesn't work (even warmed up), then I would move onto other strippers.  Next up for me would be Scalecoat Wash Away paint remover, or Testors ELO (used to be called Floquil Easy Lift Off) paint remover. ELO contains an ingredient from the same chemical family as DOT3 brake fluid.  Do not immerse your model in those strippers - follow directions on the bottle.

Also, have you tried 91% (or even better, 99%) Isopropyl alcohol?  Again, it works the best when slightly warm.

I'll have to try the alcohol. After that I might just toss the thing.