Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

On 2/28/2022 at 1:36 PM, Zoom Zoom said:

Recently in a Porsche 914 thread you ranted about Revell's incorrect B pillars and posted a photo of my orange 914 build without credit (from February 27, 2006 in my Fotki album as it was built for an NNL East theme that spring), only pointing out how obvious the kit's B pillar shape looks vs. a real car (which I don't disagree with at all, and if I build another one I know how to fix it as my skills continue to improve and I have a resin HRM wide body resin kit to build "someday"). Where did you find that photo? You sharing that photo could be interpreted by others as "look at how bad this model looks because the idiot builder didn't fix it". There are plenty of issues with the Revell 914 beyond the incorrect pillar shape, anyone getting a decent result finishing one where everything fits decently and it doesn't sit like an off road vehicle on those lovely 2 piece hard vinyl tires knows the struggle with that kit. It was a fun build despite the issues and completed in about a week as I had some free time to dig into it and correct what I could with it, since it seems there's never going to be a modern kit of a 914 done right.

That photo was pulled from a Google image search of the term "Revell Porsche 914", which led directly to a thread on this very forum.

I didn't think re-posting a photo of a model already posted on this forum, for an example of a kit being discussed on this forum, would be out of line.

Knowing you to be a skilled builder, as do many members here, it seemed to me an excellent illustration that the flaws of proportion and line apparent in the model were very obviously NOT artifacts introduced by a builder, but were errors committed by the kit maker.

My reposting of the photo doesn't even violate the spirit of the definition of "fair use" under US copyright law, below.

"Fair use permits a party to use a copyrighted work without the copyright owner’s permission for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research."

EDIT: What I personally find to be backside-chapping is when photos of my own work are reposted with no context, particularly where there is a clear implication that the work was done by someone else. 

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/28/2022 at 3:01 PM, Rob Hall said:

Neat...Canadian..a Laurentian or Strato-Chef?  Can't read the rear fender badging...looks like a lower trim level.

On 2/28/2022 at 6:20 PM, iamsuperdan said:

Base model Parisienne maybe?

It's definitely a Canadian Pontiac, just look at the windshield wipers. 

BUT, it's all over the place. Looks like kind of a Frankenstein's monster. Laurentian script on the rear 1/4s but the 3 hash marks should be on the front fenders or "C" pillars, not the rear fenders. Plus with so much trim missing, it looks more like a Strato-Chief. 

Probably a Laurentian somebody's taken some liberty's with.

19 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

Saw this last week. 

20220225_115828.jpg

I like the basic look that the owner did with this, but these is actually unusual model Fairlane. This looks to be the base Fairlane with the two-door post but what makes it unusual is the roof design is shared with the Falcon of that period.  

3 minutes ago, espo said:

I like the basic look that the owner did with this, but these is actually unusual model Fairlane. This looks to be the base Fairlane with the two-door post but what makes it unusual is the roof design is shared with the Falcon of that period.  

Yeah, the '66-67 Fairlane shared a lot with the Falcon of that era.  I think the wagons had the same wheelbase. 

1 minute ago, Rob Hall said:

Yeah, the '66-67 Fairlane shared a lot with the Falcon of that era.  I think the wagons had the same wheelbase. 

I vagally remember seeing Falcons that shared more than a few trim parts with some Fairlane's and even the last Falcon Ranchero's had the Falcon nose, but the body was a Fairlane and the next year the Ranchero was built as a Fairlane.    

1 hour ago, espo said:

I vagally remember seeing Falcons that shared more than a few trim parts with some Fairlane's and even the last Falcon Ranchero's had the Falcon nose, but the body was a Fairlane and the next year the Ranchero was built as a Fairlane.    

66-67 Ranchero front clip, yes.

IIRC the Fairlane and Comet 2-door post cars in 66-67 shared wheelbase with the Falcon coupes as well.

I saw this monster on the interstate today. I think they are built by a company between here and Chattanooga. Also saw a U-Haul towing a engine less Karman Ghia and a VW Thing. I haven't seen one in years, it also driving on the interstate.

IMG_20220304_144524.thumb.jpg.54f5c94b705c813feda4170e25a58414.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roger U said:

I don't know what make this is. Emblem on the side of the hood says OneTwenty

IMG_2180.jpeg.97d6eaa6c5aab208c2dcb7fe63ffbb18.jpeg

'41 Packard. The 120 was what was considered a 'junior series" as opposed to the senior cars which were the 160 & 180. The 120s had a 282 CID straight eight, the senior cars had a 356 CID straight eight. Great cars, which don't bring a lot of money compared to earlier Packards. I've worked on a few late 30s/early 40s Packard and they are well built and ride like a dream.

I need to run a constant video feed because I SEE interesting cars but I don't have time to get the cell phone up and photo them before they've passed.  Sunday in the Russian River area, Sonoma County CA there was a BRG TR-6 with a camel colored interior and followed very shortly by a pumpkin orange 71 Ply 'Cuda with black hockey stick graphics and black interior.  Both of them were very well maintained.

Edited by The Junkman

Not on the road but in a body shop I stopped at. This shop owner has done a lot of miner body and paint projects for me in the past. He had a fiberglass '32 Hiboy in the shop getting ready for paint. The power train was a 350/350 with open headers. I go back in a few weeks for some work on my Charger and I'll try and remember to take some pictures.