Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

10 hours ago, High octane said:

And how long does the air supply last in that portable concentrator?

There is no tank on the Inogen system. These devices literally extract oxygen from the air and delivers it to you via the canula that you wear. Inogen offers several different models that can deliver various liters of oxygen in whatever level your doctor prescribes. My wife is currently on 2 liters. The only limit with that system is how long you battery lasts. Normal battery life is four hours so I certainly would recommend buying an extra battery. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Looking out my home office window, watching the snow falling in big fat wet flakes, while the birds and feral cats take turns having breakfast at the feeders. 

My cat's asleep in front of the heater, and I'm having my second cup of coffee. Think some ham and eggs sounds about right.

Some days, life is pretty fine.

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Looking out my home office window, watching the snow falling in big fat wet flakes, while the birds and feral cats take turns having breakfast at the feeders. 

My cat's asleep in front of the heater, and I'm having my second cup of coffee. Think some ham and eggs sounds about right.

Some days, life is pretty fine.

Ace, are you in Arizona now?

35 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Back and forth for the time being. Probably won't be completely moved until the end of 2020.

Retiring where you want, that's gotta be what it's all about......... :D

There were some F-14 fighter jets doing acrobatics overhead today, fun to see but very LOUD.... Always enjoy watching any kind of aircraft.

2 hours ago, JollySipper said:

There were some F-14 fighter jets doing acrobatics overhead today, fun to see but very LOUD.... Always enjoy watching any kind of aircraft.

Didn't they retire the F-14s several years ago? Sure they weren't F/A-18s? :unsure:

17 hours ago, JollySipper said:

You would like it here TJ. Our office is at the end of one of the runways at Andrews AFB. When the airshow comes to town I get a week of fly-ins, practice, two days of shows and then fly-outs. Watching the WWII bombers fly-in is probably my favorite.

21 hours ago, JollySipper said:

Just be glad they aren't F4 Phantoms !LOL

I remember in the late 70's living in a small trailer park in Wi that was set in a small valley.

One weekend a month they would come swooping in and shake the pictures off the wall!

Flashed back a little first time it happened!

20 hours ago, Xingu said:

You would like it here TJ. Our office is at the end of one of the runways at Andrews AFB. When the airshow comes to town I get a week of fly-ins, practice, two days of shows and then fly-outs. Watching the WWII bombers fly-in is probably my favorite.

I would love seeing that from time to time...

17 hours ago, OldTrucker said:

Just be glad they aren't F4 Phantoms !LOL

Oh yes, the phabulous Phantom.  Jet noise is the sound of freedom, and that amazing bird did its part very well.  Had the joy of working on RF-4C and F4-D's/E's while at Udorn RTAFB,  Then worked on E's at Seymour Johnson AFB, D's again at Kunsan AB, Korea, and the last of the RF-4C's at Shaw AFB, before they were phased out by the F-16.  I talked with an F-16 pilot who had transitioned from the Phantom, he said the difference is like a Porsche and a 3/4 ton pickup.  The F-4 is my second favorite aircraft, very closely behind the C-130 Hercules.  There are some beautiful, and somber. memories of these bent-wing bug-suckers doing their thing.

Edited by TarheelRick

1 hour ago, TarheelRick said:

Oh yes, the phabulous Phantom.  Jet noise is the sound of freedom, and that amazing bird did its part very well...

Yup. Old friend of mine, now gone, was a Wild Weasel Phantom driver in SE Asia.

In the late '70s, Phantoms were still operating from Dobbins in Marietta, Ga. My shop was across Hwy. 41 from the end of one runway. Often, just at dusk, pairs would launch in full AB, with the cones of purple-orange fire in the tails brilliantly visible against the darkening sky.

23 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yup. Old friend of mine, now gone, was a Wild Weasel Phantom driver in SE Asia.

Very interesting. I didn't think any F-4Gs were used in SEA so I did some quick research. They weren't--first one not flying until 1975. But I did turn up that 36 F-4Cs were converted to "Wild Weasel IV" at some point. No date given but it's possible that some or all of those 36 were used in SEA. If so, your friend flew a very rare bird. 

The main USAF WW airplanes were the F-105F and G (taking over from F-100F, I believe).

The earliest Wild Weasel concept began with the 6234th TAC Fighter Wing, Korat RTAFB, Thailand in 1966 with the F-100F Super Sabre. Sometime later in 1966 the 355th TAC Fighter Wing, Takhli RTAFB took over the Wild Weasel Operation with their F-105F/G /Thunderchiefs (Thuds - the sound they made when they hit the ground).  The 18th TAC Fighter Wing modified several of the F-4C's into Wild Weasels.  The F-4E was updated into Wild Weasel duty following the end of the war.  These ruled the arena until the F-16C picked up a comparable role around the turn of the century.  Some of this information comes from my leaking memory, but most is found in a book titled "USAF Fighters, American Aircraft Designs" by J P Vieira. Pretty good read if you have any interest in these type aircraft..  Only reason I initially bought it was I recognized the F-4D #463 (pg 089) and RF-4C #597 (pg 095) as two of the lovely pigs I humped while in Thailand and #234 (pg 089) was one I worked in Korea.  BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH, sometimes I miss those days.

8 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Very interesting. I didn't think any F-4Gs were used in SEA so I did some quick research. They weren't--first one not flying until 1975. But I did turn up that 36 F-4Cs were converted to "Wild Weasel IV" at some point. No date given but it's possible that some or all of those 36 were used in SEA. If so, your friend flew a very rare bird. 

The main USAF WW airplanes were the F-105F and G (taking over from F-100F, I believe).

It's funny how many people have told me over the years that Phantoms never flew in the Wild Weasel role during the Vietnam war.

Everybody seems to know about the Thuds and Super Sabres though.

Never mind that I saw operational aircraft in theater, knew pilots and crew, became good friends with one of the pilots, and almost married his daughter.

The way I remember it:

The first operational Wild Weasel F4-C Phantom was delivered to the 67th Tactical Fighter Squadron at Kadena, on Okinawa, in October of 1969.

3 years later, late '72, the 67th TFS was sent to Korat Royal Thai Air Force Base, and flew point with Operation Linebacker II. Over 450 missions, if I recall correctly.

Kinda broke my heart in the late 2000s, seeing Vietnam-era Phantoms being converted to target drones at BAE in Mojave, Ca.

Image result for BAE in Mojave, Ca

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

It's funny how many people have told me over the years that Phantoms never flew in the Wild Weasel role during the Vietnam war.

Imagine how glad I am now I did a little research before I told you the same thing. :lol:

Somewhere around here I have a whole book on Wild Weasel but I'm not sure I could lay hands on it on demand so I didn't check that one. 

For some reason I'm associating 67th Squadron with Tactical Recon, flying RF-84Fs and maybe RF-101s. 

ETA: More research: Apparently 67 FS and 67 TRS two different outfits. :wacko:

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

...For some reason I'm associating 67th Squadron with Tactical Recon, flying RF-84Fs and maybe RF-101s. 

ETA: More research: Apparently 67 FS and 67 TRS two different outfits. :wacko:

There were a lot of people involved with a lot of aircraft from a lot of outfits.

This from WikiPee (slightly different from my remembry, but close enough for a model car forum) :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korat_Royal_Thai_Air_Force_Base

"In February 1972, the 67th TFS returned on temporary duty to Korat from Kadena AB, this time being equipped with the EF-4C aircraft. The EF-4C was the initial Wild Weasel version of the Phantom. It was a modified version of the F-4C, designed in parallel with the F-105G Wild Weasel program. The EF-4Cs suffered from certain deficiencies which limited their combat effectiveness. For example, they were unable to carry the standard ARM. Consequently, the EF-4C was seen only as an interim Wild Weasel aircraft, pending the introduction of a more suitable type. In February 1973, after the end of combat operations in Vietnam, the 67th TFS with its EF-4C Wild Weasels were withdrawn and returned to Kadena."

Far as I recall, nobody called 'em EF-4Cs. They were just Wild Weasel Phantoms or F4-C Wild Weasels. Deployment was delayed because of numerous development difficulties resulting from a lack of physical space in the aircraft with its 2 engines, and some electronic incompatibility issues I should remember but don't.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

4 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

"Standard" should be capitalized in that sentence. It's not an adjective; they're talking about the AGM-78 Standard missile. 

Well, it IS WikiPee, ya know?  Kinda half-right sorta is usually close enough.   :D

EDIT: Pretty sure, kinda halfway, that later Phantom Weasels could carry the AGM-78 ARM.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I Finally did the brakes on my Jeep Cherokee.And installed a new steering damper.I have to get the truck inspected.I haven’t had it inspected since last July. Ooops ???..But now I’ve got some front end work to do.Its lifted about 6,1/2 inches, riding on 35x12.5 tires.

Edited by NYLIBUD