Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

1 hour ago, Mike C said:

Well, my manager called me into  the office today and told me about how they've been doing salary adjustments to give us a fair market value salary. So I just got a very nice raise today of 8.25%! This has nothing to do with the regular merit raises we get from out annual reviews. That's due next Feb. WOOPEE!

Smart company!  With employment up (national unemployment rate 3.7%) employers are hurting for new hires so wages are going up.  It makes sense to pay your employees before another company hires them away.

Getting lots of overtime (256 hours in 3 weeks) and being trusted enough by the company to look after a brand new multi million pound seacat alone. Also as part of this having 3 weeks to do one nights cleaning. Something I never thought I'd be doing so I wont let their faith in me be misplaced. When I finish the deep cleaning it WILL be perfect as I'm using my modellers eye while doing it, instead of my usual just get it done eye

Edited by stitchdup

14 hours ago, slusher said:

How you doing Nick? Hopefully your lung is improving...

Thanks for asking Carl as I'm almost up to speed and attending cars shows, cruise  nights, working a little around the house, etc. Just went to the docs this morning and got a prescription for some meds to get rid of my cough, and not just to suppress it.

9 hours ago, High octane said:

Thanks for asking Carl as I'm almost up to speed and attending cars shows, cruise  nights, working a little around the house, etc. Just went to the docs this morning and got a prescription for some meds to get rid of my cough, and not just to suppress it.

Good to hear your getting better. Sorry to hear the cough may be holding you back...

Fired up the 66 Buick Special and the wife and I drove out of town to the small farming community where our son lives to visit with our youngest granddaughter and return a welder and other body tools I borrowed from my son!

Had a nice short visit and cruised on back home making a stop to visit out late grandson and leave a new remembrance for him.

The car still isn't running quite right, surges a little at times and the brakes need to be gone over and re-bled and adjusted. Think I'll go ahead and add a dual chamber master cylinder while I'm at it!

Just wish I knew more about tuning this dang odd fire V6.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a great experience with…wait for it…the phone company (Verizon).

Six or eight years ago we had trouble with our house landline when it rained. The phone would be static-y or get no dial tone at all until it had dried out, which could take several days or a week. I called and a guy came out and did stuff and didn’t fix it, so I called again and a second guy came out and correctly traced the problem to the wire out on the pole in the backyard. He replaced the whole wire—problem solved until recently.

We had some heavy rain a month or so ago and the problem was back. Both guys who had worked on the phone back in the day gave me their cards, but I couldn’t remember which one of them had actually fixed it. It’s just about a complete waste of time to try to contact Verizon through their normal complaint channels (just try talking to an actual human being!) so I dug out my old wallet and found the two cards. Both the office numbers now were either disconnected or only had an answering machine. Tried both cell numbers, again just “leave a message.”  After several attempts, I finally got an answer on one of them. Turned out to be the guy who had changed the wire, who remembered me. Unfortunately he was now assigned to another part of the state but he told me to call the other guy, who’s now the service manager here in town.

Okay, I tried that number several times over a couple of weeks and only got “leave a message” again. Finally yesterday in desperation I did leave a detailed message describing the exact problem, with my work number as a contact. Didn’t hear anything back.

When I got home, my wife said they’d come and fixed it (within 2 hours of my call) and had gone right to the box on the pole and hadn’t screwed around checking the lines inside the house at all. Works perfectly now! You can’t ask for better service than that.

Last evening I got a robo-call from Verizon (first time the phone had rung in weeks) asking me to rate their service and my satisfaction. I “pressed one” on every question and then recorded a glowing verbal review and thanks.

I just called the same cell number of the guy I called yesterday. Still no answer, so I left a lavish message of thanks and praise.

We live in an age when we’re amazed when things actually work as they’re supposed to—or even better—but boy does it feel good when it happens!

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Had a great experience with…wait for it…the phone company (Verizon)...

We live in an age when we’re amazed when things actually work as they’re supposed to—or even better—but boy does it feel good when it happens!

Good on you for appreciating professional to-the-point service. Yup, it's rare. And it sure is nice when you get it.

On 10/29/2019 at 8:48 AM, Rob Hall said:

Enjoying the fall weather...cool at night, 50s-60s during the day..trees in color and leaves falling.... first pic from my backyard yesterday, other pics from a Lake Erie beach I visited yesterday after work.  (Fairport Harbor, Oh).

IMG-2956.jpg

IMG-2958.jpg

IMG-2959.jpg

IMG-2961.jpg

IMG-2964.jpg

Great pictures Rob, thanks for sharing...

• 2 weeks later...

My space heater I've had for years sparked and smelled and quit putting out heat so had to buy a new one. Looked at Amazon where the reviews from people can be real handy. Found one for $24 that fits nicely on my workbench in the garage. Has a "fan only" setting that I can use in the summer.

Also pleased that it has no beeping when used. Seems many things I've bought lately have to beep when you plug it in, when you turn it on and off, etc. I have no clue why manufacturers think they need to add this.

Edited by TonyK