Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

6 hours ago, TonyK said:

My space heater I've had for years sparked and smelled and quit putting out heat so had to buy a new one. Looked at Amazon where the reviews from people can be real handy. Found one for $24 that fits nicely on my workbench in the garage. Has a "fan only" setting that I can use in the summer.

Also pleased that it has no beeping when used. Seems many things I've bought lately have to beep when you plug it in, when you turn it on and off, etc. I have no clue why manufacturers think they need to add this.

They do it to avoid product liability lawsuits.  Yes, it is a pain, but how many commercials do we see on t.v. from law firms chasing down class action lawsuits?  Those are just the tip of the iceberg, so to speak, of the product liability lawsuits that occur.  As far as an electrical device, if it isn't plugged in, the chances of it causing a problem are highly improbable.

About 6:30 this morning opened the blinds in the model room and saw a strange looking leaf in the street which is about 4 ft away.

Then thought can't be a leaf it is too square.

Told the wife that I thought it was money in the road and she said well go out and look!

Put my shoes on and went around to the street to where it was and it was a 20 dollar bill folded in half laying there!

Hobby Lobby here I come tomorrow!LOL

On 11/8/2019 at 5:26 PM, High octane said:

Taking my grandson to the LHS to pick out another snap kit, and yes he had his eyes on other kits that he's not ready for including big rigs.

image.png.4ca8d3948872e1ce29dad16e2ab98ed2.png

Great lookin' kid, and great lookin' hobby shop! How I wish I still had a good LHS. The nearest ones to me are about a 40 minute drive--each way. 

7 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Great lookin' kid, and great lookin' hobby shop! How I wish I still had a good LHS. The nearest ones to me are about a 40 minute drive--each way. 

Thanks Snake as this hobby shop is 'bout 10 miles from home. I have another 'bout 40 miles and one about 50+ miles. I have plenty to build so I'm not really buying anything for myself and right now I'm in a building slump and have been since mid April. Sighhh.

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned elsewhere,  I went to pay down on the part of the hospital bill I was to take care of and found it missing from the account. Talked to somebody in billing then somebody else at the Dr's office (had an appointment today) and   was told the hospital "Gave me 100% financial aid" on what was left from my hospital stay.  In other words they comp'd or wrote off what I had still left on the books!

14 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

As mentioned elsewhere,  I went to pay down on the part of the hospital bill I was to take care of and found it missing from the account. Talked to somebody in billing then somebody else at the Dr's office (had an appointment today) and   was told the hospital "Gave me 100% financial aid" on what was left from my hospital stay.  In other words they comp'd or wrote off what I had still left on the books!

That's got to be almost as good as winning the lottery. That would have made me go buy a ticket after finding this out.  

3 hours ago, espo said:

That's got to be almost as good as winning the lottery. That would have made me go buy a ticket after finding this out.  

3 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

That's great Joe!   Good for you!

Thanks guys! I was really worried the the balance fell off my account  and was surprised my the assistance since I never bothered to ask for it.  It is a massive relief though and I've knocked out a quarter of the $400 that was left as of last night. Now I've got money to spend on my niece,  200 (it's nearing 100k and will need maintenence and get upgrades if I can too), and my R/C stuff!

6 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

Thanks guys! I was really worried the the balance fell off my account  and was surprised my the assistance since I never bothered to ask for it.  It is a massive relief though and I've knocked out a quarter of the $400 that was left as of last night. Now I've got money to spend on my niece,  200 (it's nearing 100k and will need maintenence and get upgrades if I can too), and my R/C stuff!

Your story reminds me of something I saw in the news a while back. The story was that several wealthy individuals were working with some medical or hospital groups with the goal to pay medical expenses for people with little or no health insurance. Maybe this group is your mystery benefactor.  

1 hour ago, espo said:

Your story reminds me of something I saw in the news a while back. The story was that several wealthy individuals were working with some medical or hospital groups with the goal to pay medical expenses for people with little or no health insurance. Maybe this group is your mystery benefactor.  

I had wondered about that too, now the hospital does have an assistance program.  After having to get a sore on my leg taken care of in 2017 (about the same time Mom nearly died the last time) and put in for that after getting a $1200-$1800 bill for what my insurance at the time didn't cover (at that time, I had my lost last job, got this job and been on unemployment between jobs and on layoff prior to that, still had a car payment, was doing a bunch of running around to visit Mom where she was at, and making less at the time!) and was turned down at the time.  I didn't even  bother trying to apply for it this time, even though I got it and I'm not sure if they based this on what info I turned in 2 years ago or they looked deeper into things now, maybe just trying to get me off the books since we're nearing the end of the year (may be be somewhat of a tax advantage to them for doing so too), although I did joke with Dad that maybe they saw the last name and address matched Mom's and decided to comp me after all the money that has been spent there keeping Mom alive.

All that said, if they are, I do appreciate it....greatly as it has been weighing on me since June when the amount first showed up on the acct. 

• 4 weeks later...

Guess I gotta bump this since nobody has posted for a while.

I went to the dentist today. A new dentist. The old one was gloom and doom about my teeth falling out, 9mm pockets, etc. This new guy did a cleaning and x-rays last week and only found a few 4mm pockets and felt that a couple of them were due to the bone removed when my wisdom teeth were removed. I returned today and they did a "deep clean" on the left upper and lower molars (4 total). It was mostly painless and the feeling returned to my mouth very quickly. Next month, they will do the right lower two molars. Uppers are OK.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, stitchdup said:

Found out last night after collapsing on the way to work, while on the bus and weeks of worrying that i dont have cancer. My lungs are wrecked but its not cancer. wear a good mask when painting and doing filler folks, its worth it

Have to agree here 100%.  All the years (I am 73) that I have made models , sanding them, filling them, painting them and gluing them together, I never wore a mask or anything else. I also did a lot of woodworking, sanding and staining without wearing a mask.

Well about 7 years ago I passed out in the living room, wife dialed 911 and I got a ride to the hospital in the meat wagon, and like Stitchdup the prognosis was that my lungs were shot, almost completely gone. Well I survived, but now I am attached to an oxygen machine 24/7/365. Even when I go out I have to take along a tank of oxygen on a cart. I get 2 hours out of a tank, so if we're going to be out longer than that we have to put a spare tank or two in the trunk. This whole thing is a PITA

Take it from me it ain't no fun.  So as Stitchdup says wear a good mask when doing anything with a model or wood.

Jeff