Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Want To Work For Revell?

If you want to work for Revell, here is your chance

Exciting news! We have 2 opportunities to turn your passion into a career!!

Revell USA is searching for candidates for 2 open positions! Opportunities include the Design Engineer and Technical Manager positions. Please see our website http://www.revell.com/jobs.html for a complete job description. If you reside or will be residing in the Chicago area and are a qualified candidate, please submit your resume per the instructions on our webpage. If you know someone who may be interested and qualified, please pass on to them. All submissions will be considered confidential. Thank you.

I'm sure the 'Design Engineer' will require you to be on the expert level of 3-D CAD system of some type.

That's why they are having to advertise the position. And....yes...there are folks here that are on that level....but but they are not in Chicago

or have very good paying jobs doing that already.....it's a somewhat hot position today. Hope they get someone good.

I place in nomination the name of Tim Boyd!

Thanks Snake.

I already did one assignment for Revell's Marketing and Engineering VP's about a year ago, after that one, not sure if they would even consider me for another one (smile!).

Seriously, I retired from the auto industry about 15 months ago and my plan at that point was to stay retired unless something incredibly tempting materialized. Nothing has happened since then that would change that plan...

But thanks for the vote anyway!

Let's take this as a good sign that Revell deems their business climate healthy enough to add two people - which given the size of their team today as I understand it, is a significant increase.

Best regards...TIM

PS everyone - if you haven't already, you should read the job descriptions. Gives you a decent idea of the sorts of activities that are required to design, engineer, and bring to market a model car kit. There's a lot more to it than you would think is required....TB

Edited by tim boyd

Bill (aka Ace-Garageguy) would be a good candidate.

Thanks for thinking of me. As critical as I've been of the industry on occasion, I'd really enjoying getting the opportunity to help things.

Almost nothing I'd rather do than work for Revell, but I've trapped myself where I am for the foreseeable future. A full-scale machine shop at the house, plus multiple project cars would make moving to Chicago completely out of the question. I moved everything fairly recently, about one mile, and it took months.

Sure would be a dream-gig though.

These are the jobs on offer:

Design Engineer

Seeking an experienced Design Engineer to create new products for our line of plastic model kits.

As a Design Engineer:

• Manage projects to achieve critical milestone targets.
  • Create product concept design and exploded view drawings.
  • Create 3D CAD models and 2D part drawings with detailed dimensions and tolerance.
  • Assist with selection of materials for new products.
  • Create Bill of Material lists for manufacturing.
  • Validate product designs utilizing rapid prototyping techniques and tools.
  • Assure products adhere to licensing and product safety testing requirements.
  • Research subject matter to accurately design products.
  • Communicate with manufacturers during tool construction and product qualification.
  • Consult with quality and technical staff during validation of tooling and first production.

Key Requirements for the position:

• Bachelors' degree in Engineering or related field.
  • Experience with injection molded plastic part design and complex assemblies.
  • Previous CAD design experience (ProE Creo preferred).
  • Ability to manage multiple projects at once and meet deadlines.

Other desired qualifications:

• Experience with injection mold tooling and rapid prototyping techniques.
  • Experience in scale modeling industry.

Technical Manager

Looking for an experienced manager to lead our Technical team. This is a unique opportunity to work with the best model development team in the business.

As Technical Manager:

• Lead and prioritize work for the department and maintain project log
  • Lead testing and evaluation for new products
  • Evaluate development samples for function, appearance and quality vs. intended design
  • Create test summary documentation for engineering and manufacturing department feedback
  • Maintain safety testing records and lead safety qualification via 3rd party testing labs
  • Perform quality reviews of existing products
  • Lead prototype creation with inside and outside resources
  • Create and validate Bill of Material lists for manufacturing

Key Requirements for the position:

• Previous leadership experience
  • Ability to prioritize and organize work
  • Strong written and verbal communication skills
  • Strong Excel and Word skills
  • Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings
  • Strong experience with model building
  • Strong attention to detail

Other desired qualifications:

• Associates of Science in technical field.
  • Familiar with injection mold tooling and molding process
Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Wow. I just can't move to Chicago (my wife escaped from the Chicago area and does not want to go back).

Otherwise I meet every qualification (except the having done scale model design before).

I am a design engineer at a medeical instruments company. I design small, high tolerance molded plastic parts, manage multiple projects and conduct verification and validation testing.

Just can't move to Chicago :(

"Let's take this as a good sign that Revell deems their business climate healthy enough to add two people - which given the size of their team today as I understand it, is a significant increase."

From what I've heard, these 2 positions are open due to a resignation and a retirement. They're not additions.

Don't have the education qualifications. Have most everything else for the second position. I sort of do this in my industry which is wiring harnesses. I'm often lead person on major projects and have to work with the buyers and the clients. my plastic molding experience is not quite enough ( I ran a Van Dorn injection molder making Mary Kay boxes...LOL) I guess I could write "I bild modelz" on my resumé.

I'd love to have the technical manager job, as I have all of the requirements other than the familiarity with the injection molding process. Have a good job now doing a similar thing with a household name company, and I would never move. Plus I love where I live.

I wonder how being "in the business" would affect someone's enjoyment of the hobby in the same way. Would a person be more excited or less excited to get home and break out the plastic glue ?

JJ

I wonder how being "in the business" would affect someone's enjoyment of the hobby in the same way. Would a person be more excited or less excited to get home and break out the plastic glue ?

JJ

Jeff - I've long wondered about that very point. Several Revell's Executives (past and present) are (were) very accomplished model car builders. TB

JJ

Well, I can say from an IT perspective, many tech jocks I know are doing computers after work as well cuz they can't get enough. So I'd say if some one is truly stoked over scale models, they'd do it for a profession and as a hobby.

I know some guys who surf professionally and love surfing during there off hours as well.