Monogram '53 Corvette vs AMT '53 Corvette?

• You cannot reply to this topic
32 replies to this topic

#21 Sport Suburban

Sport Suburban

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Full Name:Raoul

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:46 AM

I recently finished my 55 Corvette based on the Monogram 53 Corvette. I used the photoetched set from Model Car Garage. The headlight mesh looks great and was a real pain to get the curves correct untill it hit me.

My wife had some medical issues that prevented her from swallowing pills. So she crushed them in between two spoons. That's when it hit me. I took the two clear mesh lenses that monogram gives you in the kit. Then I put the photo etch mesh in between them and pressed them together. This pressed the mesh into the correct shape!! Then I glued them in place.

Also Monograms kit inclued parts for both the 53 engine or the 54 engine. So you can build it as a 54 Corvette if you wanted too.

#22 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,154 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:17 AM

Good info and great tip, Raoul!

B)

#23 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,867 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:12 PM

I recently finished my 55 Corvette based on the Monogram 53 Corvette. I used the photoetched set from Model Car Garage. The headlight mesh looks great and was a real pain to get the curves correct untill it hit me.

My wife had some medical issues that prevented her from swallowing pills. So she crushed them in between two spoons. That's when it hit me. I took the two clear mesh lenses that monogram gives you in the kit. Then I put the photo etch mesh in between them and pressed them together. This pressed the mesh into the correct shape!! Then I glued them in place.

Finally. Great tip. Thanks.

Edited by sjordan2, 02 December 2012 - 12:13 PM.

#24 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allphin

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:17 AM

I built one of these when it first came out and I don't remember any issues , BUT,  that was a long time ago and my menory isn't waht it used to be.

might have to give it another try (must resist the urge of another project idea :wacko:  )

#25 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

The Monogram kit isn't exactly "new" either.

IIRC, it was based on a die-cast kit they made back around '79 or '80.

Monogram first issued metal bodied car kits in the fall of 1977:  1948 MGTC, 1953 Corvette, and the 1956 Thunderbird.  These had diecast metal bodies and hoods,, with pretty well detailed styrene everything else.  In 1983, recognizing the rather poor reception these kits (as well as with the 1980 release of the '48 Jaguar XK-120, '32 Duesenberg Boattail and '31 Packard dual cowl phaeton) got with diecast metal bodies, the company reworked the tooling so that the body shells and hoods could be shot in styrene, which resulted in the kits we still have today (of the second set of metal bodied kits, only the Jaguar XK-120 was ever reissued with a plastic body).

Of the Styrene plastic '53 Corvette kits, the AMT glue kit is probably the least attractive, having been tooled in a very trying period for AMT, and first released in 1974 or 1975.  It just doesn't look right in the eyes of a lot of modelers.  Monogram's, while 1/24 scale, just has the look, as does the AMT '53 Corvette snap kit, which itself is an unassembled version of a "retro-promo" that AMT/Ertl did about 20 years ago, to mark the 40th Anniversary of the first Corvette--this one is quite nicely done, but of course, is a curbside--but like the Monogram kit, it just has "the look".

Art

#26 DR Dubois

DR Dubois

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

These are some shots of the Monogram and Revell 1/24 corvette kits.

The Monogram kit has most parts in red plastic, the body/hood in white and chrome parts. The hood on mine is too small for the opening but overall the details are nice. The Revell version is molded all in white and chrome, and the hood fits a little better but still too small. Hope you can see enough details to compare.

DSCF0131_zpsd85dee57.jpg

DSCF0132_zps1bf563b2.jpg

DSCF0133_zps6b1d5e4f.jpg

DSCF0135_zps689166de.jpg

DSCF0137_zpsb7d93ca7.jpg

DSCF0138_zps36efa5e8.jpg

DSCF0139_zps5e58bed7.jpg

DSCF0140_zpsaa3aa994.jpg

#27 DR Dubois

DR Dubois

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:34 PM

DSCF0142_zpsc2088c30.jpg

DSCF0144_zps7d20bc52.jpg

DSCF0146_zps062c3600.jpg

And the Revell kit...

DSCF0147_zpsfd208a8a.jpg

DSCF0149_zps15febfab.jpg

DSCF0150_zps5d9393d9.jpg

DSCF0151_zps88380784.jpg

#28 Phildaupho

Phildaupho

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Full Name:Phil Dauphinee

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

I have experience with three of the '53 Corvette kits being discussed. A number of years ago after recently returning to the hobby, I decided to build a '53 Corvette for my brother as he often said how much he liked the first Corvettes [I later found out he meant the '56 & '57 Vettes]. Anyway, I remember being in the hobby shop and trying to decided between the AMT and Monogram.  As a kid I had always favored AMT but the salesperson convinced me the Monogram kit might be a better choice. Both myself and my brother were very pleased with how the model turned out. I made my own mesh headlight covers that were better than what comes in the kit but not accurate. I used the excellent Model Car Garage photo-etched covers on a later custom project.

I am currently working on a trans-kit project that specifies the use of the AMT kit. I have to say it is an OK kit but I definitely prefer the Revell/Monogram for the body and trim items in particular. Something I do really like about the AMT kit however, is the very cool looking up-top and side curtains. By coincidence I am also helping a nine year nephew build the AMT Snap '53 Corvette. I consider this a great snap kit for a beginner and think in many ways results in a more realistic looking '53 Corvette than the AMT glue kit.

#29 Guest_boyfiat_*

Guest_boyfiat_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:31 PM

I thought I saw in one of the car-mags that the '53 Corvette was going to be issued (w/ 'wire screens' over the headlights).  Am I crazy?  Regards; boyfiat (formerly fiatboy).  (actually the screens were nylon)

#30 unclescott58

unclescott58

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • Full Name:R. Scott Aho

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:02 PM

I don't know if this exactly fits with topic be discussed here or not? But, does anybody know if anybody has made a model of the 1954 Corvette Corvair fastback coupe show car? Or is there a conversion kit for either the AMT or Monogram kits to convert them into the Corvair? Also how about the '54 Corvette "Waldorf" Nomad?

Scott Aho

#31 ChrisBcritter

ChrisBcritter

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • Full Name:Christopher Brame

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:03 PM

Biggest peeve for me was that the AMT kit's wheelcovers were flat-faced (no detail past the rim; all details even with it or recessed) - like Jo-Han wheelcovers. Monogram got them right.

#32 lordairgtar

lordairgtar

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:36 AM

Can the AMT snapper body be used on the AMT glue kit?

#33 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:12 AM

I don't know if this exactly fits with topic be discussed here or not? But, does anybody know if anybody has made a model of the 1954 Corvette Corvair fastback coupe show car? Or is there a conversion kit for either the AMT or Monogram kits to convert them into the Corvair? Also how about the '54 Corvette "Waldorf" Nomad?

Scott Aho

Mini-Exotics/R&D Unique did a 1/24 scale resin transkit to convert the Monogram 1/24 scale '53 Corvette to the Motorama Corvair (Corvette fastback), but those are hard to find anymore, as R&D Unique closed up shop several years ago.

As for the Corvette Nomad, while that has styling cues from the '53-'55 Corvettes, it was actually a much larger car, built as it was on a stock 1954 Chevrolet station wagon chassis.  As a result, it's longer, AND taller than any Corvette.  That said, someone did do a resin kit of that car back in the late 1980's, don't remember who now, but it was a limited run kit.

Art