Model Cars Magazine Forum

Automotive (and other) toys from our childhood

5 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Being one of 11 kids growing up we didn't get any fancy board games for us to lose the parts of.  (We always had socks and under wear as kids, that was important. ) 

I was just talking to my sister about game night and the card games we liked to play. Water Works, Pit and Mille Bornes when we were younger. Uno , Phase 10 and a few other when we were older. 

Mentioning Uno brings up a good story. Back in the late 70's, early 1980's, I belonged to a young people's AA group. We were sober. But, still nuts. During that time we use to rent a camp in northwestern Wisconsin, which had a bunch of small sleeping cabins and a main lodge, every Memorial and Labor Day weekends for serveral years. There where lots of practical jokes, late night water balloon fights, blowing off fireworks, etc going on. And a lot of card playing. Including Uno. 

One of the guys in our group hated Uno. Big time. So we were quite surprised on one of these trips, when he pulled out new pack of Uno, and asked if anybody wanted to play. There were several affirmatives, and questions about why this guy wanted to play Uno? We're sitting in the main lodge, next to the large fireplace with a good fire going as this is happening. This guy opens up his new pack of Uno cards and starts spraying the cards into fire. And when he was done, turns to those around him and says, "there's what I think of your damned Uno." And walks away. 

It may sound mean. But, somehow it seemed funny at the time. It also maybe one of those things where you may have needed to be there find this story funny or even interesting. And there are better and more interesting stories than this, from those trips. But, for what ever reason, it's one of those fond little memories I will always have from those silly camping trips. 

3 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Mentioning Uno brings up a good story. Back in the late 70's, early 1980's, I belonged to a young people's AA group. We were sober. But, still nuts. During that time we use to rent a camp in northwestern Wisconsin, which had a bunch of small sleeping cabins and a main lodge, every Memorial and Labor Day weekends for serveral years. There where lots of practical jokes, late night water balloon fights, blowing off fireworks, etc going on. And a lot of card playing. Including Uno. 

One of the guys in our group hated Uno. Big time. So we were quite surprised on one of these trips, when he pulled out new pack of Uno, and asked if anybody wanted to play. There were several affirmatives, and questions about why this guy wanted to play Uno? We're sitting in the main lodge, next to the large fireplace with a good fire going as this is happening. This guy opens up his new pack of Uno cards and starts spraying the cards into fire. And when he was done, turns to those around him and says, "there's what I think of your damned Uno." And walks away. 

It may sound mean. But, somehow it seemed funny at the time. It also maybe one of those things where you may have needed to be there find this story funny or even interesting. And there are better and more interesting stories than this, from those trips. But, for what ever reason, it's one of those fond little memories I will always have from those silly camping trips. 

Sounds like the ultimate COOP FERRAY!! to me! :lol:

11 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

IBuilt one of these about the same time...

Vintage General Electric Educational Projects Kit, Project 3 ...

Hmmmmm...I think I may have posted these back at the beginning of the thread....

Yup. Oh well.

OMG!  I had one of those too!  I may still have it around somewhere.  GE had a number of these projects(you can see this one was #3)  I learned about transistors from this.  Of course that was before they had IC's .  Thanks for the reminder! 

Edited by Pete J.

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 4:38 AM, DonW said:

Anyone remember this?:

Mouse trap Game First Edition: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games

I wanted this so badly when I was a kid.

Finally my birthday came around and Mum came through!

I loved it, played with it for hours. Happy memories, apologies if its already been posted!

FYI: The Diver is 1/25th scale

greg

12 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

I love this Scott. I said we played it I didn't say I like UNO.  I do not play that anymore but I like the burning of the cards trick. 

I used to have a drag racing game when i was a kid. It had an orange 4 lane track and came with 4 half inch long dragsters. I dont think i ever played it as intended but from my hazzy memory you had to roll dice before moving your car. I think my one may have been incomplete too as it was a reject from a charity shop my mum helped out at. I hope someone here might have pics of it as mine is long gone

33 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

I used to have a drag racing game when i was a kid. It had an orange 4 lane track and came with 4 half inch long dragsters. I dont think i ever played it as intended but from my hazzy memory you had to roll dice before moving your car. I think my one may have been incomplete too as it was a reject from a charity shop my mum helped out at. I hope someone here might have pics of it as mine is long gone

I had one of these as a kid. (Channeling Mitch Hedburg:) I still have it, but also, I had it as a kid:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-SOX-MARTIN-DEALER-PROMO-DRAG-RACE-GAME-PLYMOUTH-ROADRUNNER-GTX-CUDA-MOPAR/174101625199?hash=item288943f96f:g:HzQAAOSw09pdy3qD

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/20/2020 at 9:14 AM, Tom Geiger said:

CD1ADAA5-1B29-4655-A24E-2A672D6ACDA1.jpeg.cc7dd9ddf5c372f8ca2838c178aa25fc.jpeg
Per old toys... maybe some older folks remember these!  This one sits up in the corner of our bedroom!  I’ve owned it a long time, someone put it out for trash and I saved it.

Reminds me of the Tot Rod I found at a second hand store near by. I knew it was unusual and for $60, I bought it for my young children. 

This is a photo from online, ours is buried in the garage. Similar condition. 

320856568026.jpg.ff0349aa10c7267c6d905f20f6bf0db4.jpg

On 5/4/2020 at 12:43 AM, Pete J. said:

Far and away one of my favorite toys.  No wonder people my age are mechanically inclined!

VINTAGE TOY 1938 GILBERT ERECTOR SET NO 7 1/2 ENGINEER'S SET METAL BOX

I agree. And I also think it contributed to my mechanical abilities and ingenuity!?

And some more I've collected after I was a kid. All of this stuff was found at thrift stores for only a few bucks each.

The AFX set contained multiple cars, making it well worth the $1.99 I paid for it back in the late 80s. 

aurora-afx-mario-andretti-challenge_1_c2295d9dc7d1300cbcc22c2fc99fcbc3.jpg.4a9689d9352943948ae6474de99490e2.jpg

The  cliff hangers set was more dear at $8.99, but it contained both cars and was complete. 

926514406_s-l400(48).jpg.87ac8affdd1b7ba508b1bd1abfd716f7.jpg

Tournament_of_Thrills__Model_Vehicle_Sets_16de5b42-2080-4051-b063-230bf4ba9406_large.jpg.ea54928da12a721c0a2b1cd542e4e715.jpg

Both of these Mattel sports games are a holy grail for me as I had friends back then who had some and I always wanted them. Both are original issues.

510a195.jpg.cacf6d0721cefb5c2680267966f4cb45.jpg

Mattel-FootballI.jpg.01797e6b1910b8bd75d7a662f20a0889.jpg

Giant Sizzlers set was a replacement for a copy I had when I was a kid. Came with 3 cars (one still in the package) and all of the parts. Got it during the stores 1/2 price day. Total cost $1.50!!!ncboxart3.thumb.jpg.b15504126e9615762c888c294ad64972.jpg

My Grandmother thought I was artistic when I was young and got me some of those "Color by numbers" oil paint kits. The biggest problem was trying to figure out what the painting was supposed to be when finished. No it wasn't my fault as anyone who was forced to do these will tell you. If you didn't need glasses before you would afterwards. 

On 5/4/2020 at 1:43 AM, Pete J. said:

Far and away one of my favorite toys.  No wonder people my age are mechanically inclined!

VINTAGE TOY 1938 GILBERT ERECTOR SET NO 7 1/2 ENGINEER'S SET METAL BOX

I have my Dad's Erector set from the 1940s, or perhaps the '30s. It's in a red metal box like that. In the '60s, my folks gave me a new set, and many of the parts in that one are aluminum, not steel. 

The ancient instruction/idea book is cool. Many of the machines shown therein are things I'd never seen before, and haven't since, 

34 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I have my Dad's Erector set from the 1940s, or perhaps the '30s. It's in a red metal box like that. In the '60s, my folks gave me a new set, and many of the parts in that one are aluminum, not steel. 

The ancient instruction/idea book is cool. Many of the machines shown therein are things I'd never seen before, and haven't since, 

I wonder if the Erector set is a licensed version of Meccano, or a "just different enough" version to avoid having to license it...

91070.jpg

https://alansmeccano.org/

best,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon

Erector Set was originally patented by Alfred Carlton Gilbert and first sold by his company, Mysto Manufacturing Company, in 1913. In 1916, the company was reorganized as the A.C. Gilbert Company in 1916. The brand continued its independent existence under various corporate ownerships until 2000, when Meccano bought the Erector brand and consolidated its worldwide marketing with its own brand.