Model Cars Magazine Forum

2017 America's Most Beautiful Roadster...and the Winner is...

Here they are, folks...the 13 picks for america's best for this year.    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/2017-ambr-contenders.1047964/

PLEASE TO NOTICE: the THIRD car down, James Hetfield's "Blackjack", was built by Josh Mills here in Marietta, a shop I've worked with for several years.

Though I had NOTHING to do with this particular build (other than cheering from the sidelines as I was engrossed in building an electronics-laden '47 Caddy convertible) it's indicative of the kind of work produced on a regular basis by this shop.

Am I bragging? Yeah, probably kinda. It's nice to have worked alongside somebody who is producing cars at this level, and to be thought of as "good enough" to be a part of the team. :D

The car I'm rooting for, Blackjack...

This is an all-steel ORIGINAL '32 Ford roadster, about as period-correct hot-rod as you can get. NOTHING significant on this car is newer than 1949, and everything is either built from old junk, or it's NOS, barn-finds, etc. Even the finned "hot" cast-aluminum cylinder heads for the flathead were made in Atlanta in the post-WW II period. Mills and his small crew designed, hand-fabricated and upholstered the Carson-style removable top, too.

The car is not actually black. The body, hood and grille shell are a rich dark brown, with only the frame and suspension pieces being black. The photos really don't do it justice.

1932 Ford Roadster side, James Hetfield.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Nice car, I prefer the blue pick up though, not sure why just something about it  speaks to me

I agree, the blue pickup is a knockout, and it's closer to what I would build for myself, of if I were the designer for a client.

Still, the point is that no matter WHICH car here appeals most to a particular onlooker, it's quite an accomplishment to be one of the years top picks...especially when the shop is a hole-in-the-wall, with hardly room to swing a cat in.   :D

These cars are the best of the best, with no excuses made as to fit, finish and function.

What a breath of fresh air...Eighties-style billet is nowhere to be seen (it had its place but enough is enough), not one of those "let's pile all of the rare parts onto one car" monstrosities in sight, and you can recognize what all of these started out as.  You might want to say one car should have smaller front tires or another should have a different color interior, but that's just personal preference.  Every one of these cars looks like someone had a vision, and followed through on it. 

The Time Merchant RPU is probably my fave, but just about all of them speak to me.

The 2 fat fender customs are works of art.

And I actually prefer the Gord Gray built 32 to the Blackjack car. IMHO it has a better stance and profile. But that Hot Rod Lincoln roadster and Muroc Roadster are excellent as well.

The Time Merchant RPU is probably my fave, but just about all of them speak to me.

The 2 fat fender customs are works of art.

And I actually prefer the Gord Gray built 32 to the Blackjack car. IMHO it has a better stance and profile. But that Hot Rod Lincoln roadster and Muroc Roadster are excellent as well.

I agree entirely.

Only point I'd like to make about the comparison between Blackjack and the Gord Gray car is that the latter is more of a contemporary hot-rod with a heavy period influence, and Blackjack is pretty much a top-of-the-line hot-rod exactly as it might have been built in 1949, and the stance as-presented is the result of many hours of tinkering with the suspension (and a conscious decision to NOT use a dropped front axle). 

Josh Mills' (the builder of Blackjack) real specialty is building period-perfect cars that are recreations of past practice, rather than contemporary interpretations of period work. To really appreciate exactly what Mills is doing, you have to understand that he only uses parts that would have been available new or as junk during the period he's aiming at. What that produces is a very subtle (and often un-noticed) blending of period used parts in a way that would have given a car its own character long before catalogs were full of bolt-on individuality. The wide-five wheels on Blackjack, and hubcaps made up of several different vintage Ford bits cross-pollinated is an example of his style.

The exquisite chopped '35 Ford he built for himself (that I fell in love with, and that was the reason I went to work with him) is about as 'period' as you can get, with everything done, again, exactly as it would have been in 1949 or so, with no modern technology whatsoever...and even so, the car was his daily driver for quite a while.

Image result for Josh Mills 35 ford

I agree entirely.

Only point I'd like to make about the comparison between Blackjack and the Gord Gray car is that the latter is more of a contemporary hot-rod with a heavy period influence, and Blackjack is pretty much a top-of-the-line hot-rod exactly as it might have been built in 1949, and the stance as-presented is the result of many hours of tinkering with the suspension (and a conscious decision to NOT use a dropped front axle). 

Josh Mills' (the builder of Blackjack) real specialty is building period-perfect cars that are recreations of past practice, rather than contemporary interpretations of period work. To really appreciate exactly what Mills is doing, you have to understand that he only uses parts that would have been available new or as junk during the period he's aiming at. What that produces is a very subtle (and often un-noticed) blending of period used parts in a way that would have given a car its own character long before catalogs were full of bolt-on individuality. The wide-five wheels on Blackjack, and hubcaps made up of several different vintage Ford bits cross-pollinated is an example of his style.

Don't get me wrong, the Blackjack car is great. And executed very well. And I can appreciate the unconventional use of parts. I would love to have it in my garage.

Edited by Mr. Metallic

Definitely wouldn't object to having any of them in my garage.  As far as aftershck yeah it isn't really a 36 ford but it does have a reasonable looking design. I remember a 1932 ford titled undisputed. The problem is that they made a lot of changes to 32 ford design for what seemed change for the sake of changes.inluding no padding for the seats. May have been great as far as execution but to me it just didn't look right.

Possibly the "Black Jack"name is not derived from the paint color of choice but is a reference to the fact that it is knock you out georgeously beautiful and refers to the small hand held gangsters hand held weapon which was a small hand held leather pouch affair filled with lead shot and would be used to knock an opponent out cold.Just say'in that could be the basis of the name.

• Like 1

I can appreciate all of them but none of them really have that 'gotcha' factor for me. Maybe Aftershock comes close but even it seems like a plagiarized Figoni et Falaschi bodied Talbot Lago or Bugatti. Don't get me wrong I'd put any one of them in my garage but none of them really bowl me over. 

Does anyone know if  AMBR has to be an 'American made car'? Hmmmmm.

A choice bunch this year.  The only thing I'm not really crazy about is the nose on "Probiscus".   I like a nicely done billet rod, but one trend I'm glad to see gone is that stretched out funny  car style that looked like it was left out in the sun too long. 

If I had to pick a favourite, it would have to be Aftershock.   Is it really a '37 Ford?  Is it really a hot rod?  Don't care, it's still beautiful.   If that and the Packard are the start of a trend to neo-classics, it's a trend I can get behind.