Model Cars Magazine Forum

Foose Ford Pickup photos...

The hood has been pie cut, I call it wedge sectioned. The cab is mildly chopped and the cowl has been smoothed. I think the biggest obstacle to stockness would be the altered wheel openings.

Edited by samdiego

Kit looks great to me. The only thing I'm unsure of is the molded-in suspension and rear fenders.

Can't imagine wanting to make this new kit "stock". It would be like the proverbial George Washington's axe: if the frame, engine, wheels, suspension, tires, hood, fenders, roof, and tailgate are replaced, is it still a new-tool Revell kit? Lol. Better to just start with a stock AMT '53 and update that instead.

Kit looks great to me. The only thing I'm unsure of is the molded-in suspension and rear fenders.

Can't imagine wanting to make this new kit "stock". It would be like the proverbial George Washington's axe: if the frame, engine, wheels, suspension, tires, hood, fenders, roof, and tailgate are replaced, is it still a new-tool Revell kit? Lol. Better to just start with a stock AMT '53 and update that instead.

What he said.
When it's stock, everyone wants a custom.
When it's custom, everyone wants a stock.
LoL!

BTW, if anyone thinks there is no other version that Revell can use after the "Foose" licensing expires, I think you shouldn't put money on that. The next version could be a "generic" custom. Possibly with different wheels/tires, and decals
I have to believe they desire a second version, tho I have no way of knowing for sure.
Is there any examples of other models, second + version altered from first?  My CRS is preventing me from citing examples.

Jon, I agree with you and have said so, in other threads about this kit. Simply providing a "smoothie" tailgate, different wheels and a set of chromed Valve Covers and Air Cleaner, of slightly updated design, would yield a Custom Ford Pickup kit, after the Foose Lic expires.

I have no crystal ball, but it seems to be a prudent direction to take with the tooling, going forward.

From the Built, and in construction examples I've seen so far on the 'net, I'd say that this kit is already a winner. Looks like is goes together smoothly, and without any drama. Sits flat on all four wheels, and the cab and bed appear to (in photos, anyway) go right onto the chassis. Engineering looks to be great.

P.S. one of the Slixx Hometown Sponsor sheets has some "Sanford & Son" door markings that would look great on this kit. S&S for the 21st Century. You just KNOW Lamont would drive it.

BTW, if anyone thinks there is no other version that Revell can use after the "Foose" licensing expires, I think you shouldn't put money on that. The next version could be a "generic" custom. Possibly with different wheels/tires, and decals
I have to believe they desire a second version, tho I have no way of knowing for sure.
Is there any examples of other models, second + version altered from first?  My CRS is preventing me from citing examples.

They do that all the time (release a generic version once licensing has expired). So, when is Revell gonna release a generic version of the Rat Roaster '32 roadster ? -RRR

I don't think the point of people wanting to make it stock is to do a 53, but instead a 56. Many have said the old Revell suffers from build and proportion issues. If someone wants to uncustomize this to make a stock 56, I say have fun with it. It's just plastic.

BTW, if anyone thinks there is no other version that Revell can use after the "Foose" licensing expires, I think you shouldn't put money on that. The next version could be a "generic" custom. Possibly with different wheels/tires, and decals

How hard would it be to have a panel body tooled up to fit on this chassis? I am thinking that would be one way to milk the tooling costs for this- a new body and some wheels and presto, another hot rod kit!

Testors boyds smoothster. Spins off van and coupe version. Now lindberg kits.

They were always Lindberg kits, they were the ones that tooled them in the first place, just like that "Lincoln Mint" Dodge Charger.

Jon, I agree with you and have said so, in other threads about this kit. Simply providing a "smoothie" tailgate, different wheels and a set of chromed Valve Covers and Air Cleaner, of slightly updated design, would yield a Custom Ford Pickup kit, after the Foose Lic expires.

I have no crystal ball, but it seems to be a prudent direction to take with the tooling, going forward.

From the Built, and in construction examples I've seen so far on the 'net, I'd say that this kit is already a winner. Looks like is goes together smoothly, and without any drama. Sits flat on all four wheels, and the cab and bed appear to (in photos, anyway) go right onto the chassis. Engineering looks to be great.

P.S. one of the Slixx Hometown Sponsor sheets has some "Sanford & Son" door markings that would look great on this kit. S&S for the 21st Century. You just KNOW Lamont would drive it.

The problem with a "smoothie" tailgate is you're either going to have to obliterate the Foose logo that's on it already, or tool a whole new bed, the tailgate is molded in the one piece bed itself.  I'm not sure obliterating the Foose logo would be considered "viable" these days, look how many reissues of things we've gotten in the past 5 years tied to Ed Roth, Daniels, etc; along with the whole "Barris Memorial Edition" stuff at Round2.

Beyond that if this truck and the Eldorod sell well, wouldn't that portent further Foose kits coming along?  Perhaps moving along that list we were presented originally during the voting process, there are still what four more projects that Revell must have at LEAST scouted at the time so they would know where the car was and who owned it to be able to access it for measurements/3D scanning.

I would think these kits have a market that extends far outside the normal hobby genre as they can sell them at pretty much any 1:1 car show, particularly one that Chip happens to making an appearance as, and I suspect considering the amount of diecast and now plastic replicas of his cars exist there's a "collectors" market for items with his name on them.

The steering linkage is located on the same tree as the chassis, next to the stabilizer bar.

100_3554.JPG

I already completed my kit. I know very well what's in it. What I meant by missing steering linkage is, that there is nothing that connects that steering rack to the steering wheel. The steering column ends in the floor of the cab and nothing comes out on the other side. It is a free-flowing steering rack, which is not even attached anywhere to the frame. It hands in there on its two ends, which get glued to the disc brakes.

I am saying this just as a realistic review. Not bashing the kit at all. I think it is a solid effort and the end result is a very nice and realistic looking model. 

The problem with a "smoothie" tailgate is you're either going to have to obliterate the Foose logo that's on it already, or tool a whole new bed, the tailgate is molded in the one piece bed itself. 

All that would be needed is the section of tooling that presently has the name engraved into it.  For all anyone knows, Revell may have already planned ahead and cut tooling inserts for an alternate (post-Foose licensing) version.  Blank tailgate, blank license plate, different wheels, maybe some other different parts, just enough to differentiate it from the current version.

Looking at the specs for the 1:1 truck, I didn't see anything about a top chop, but the cowl and hood have been reworked.  I'll be sticking the Foose chassis under another truck; plans for the leftover '56 cab include measuring and checking to see if the roof can be made to fit an AMT '53 cab.  If it does, then it's just a matter of seeing what can be used from the old Revell '56 pickup kit to bring the rest of the '53 up to '56 spec. 

"I don't think the point of people wanting to make it stock is to do a 53, but instead a 56."

Gotcha--I guess I wasn't clear enough; what I meant is that it might be easier to make a stock '56 out of an AMT '53 (windshield swap, grille swap, etc) than to try and reverse-engineer the Foose '56. So people could buy the AMT and the Foose kit, and transplant the '56 features onto the '53.

if the Foose license expired, I could see Revell releasing the truck without engine decals (no Roush logos) and with a different wheel/tire and tailgate treatment. The interior colors, unique to the FD100, are decals--so they could be easily changed or discarded.

Looks like I was wrong yet again. I was going from memory when I watched the show. Guess I am not as sharp as I used to be.

I had to look it up to be sure what was in the real truck, but the engine in the kit is definitely an FE (big block).

The giveaway as to FE or not is the way the intake manifold forms part of the valve cover gasket seating lip. The FE is the only V8 engine I'm aware of that uses that unusual design.

Image result for Ford FE head and manifold

Looks like the hood is pie cut sectioned, but what about the cab?  Mayyybe  a guy could sneak an AMT hood on here and make it closer to stock. AMT chassis and Revell y block to bring it even closer...

Just my opinion, but to me it looks like there is a very slight "pie cut" section on the cowl, if not the cab itself.  If the top is chopped, it's a minimal amount.  The height of the window openings vary about 1/32" between this cab and the AMT '53 Ford.  Same goes for the width of the cab through the middle of the doors.  From the looks of it, it shouldn't be too tough to slice the roof off of the Foose cab just below the bottom of the side window openings (taking the top of the cowl along with it), do the same to the AMT '53, then piece the two together.  The curvature of the hoods in the two kits at the cowl are incredibly close considering these were created over 50 years apart, by different companies, using completely different design methods.  Nothing matches exactly of course, but they're close enough to be encouraging... 

There seems to be a lot of confusion about the Foose Truck. I think it would be best to do a little research on the 1:1 to see all of the changes that his father directed to be done. Even people that seem to know something about the truck are confused about what all was really done. It would take a great deal of work to return this to an exact stock '56 pick-up. Why not just enjoy it for what it is, and if you would rather than just use the parts you like and through the rest in the parts box for the future.   

There seems to be a lot of confusion about the Foose Truck. I think it would be best to do a little research on the 1:1 to see all of the changes that his father directed to be done. Even people that seem to know something about the truck are confused about what all was really done. It would take a great deal of work to return this to an exact stock '56 pick-up. Why not just enjoy it for what it is, and if you would rather than just use the parts you like and through the rest in the parts box for the future.   

can I get an AMEN?

Some people want a better stock '56 pickup than is currently available, and this kit might make a contribution to that.  It's more a case of using parts of this one to get there, than it is of trying to convert it.

Well fellows, my friend Randy Meyer seems to have found an elegant solution to making a stock 56. He is a real stickler for detail, so now that he knows the 2 parts are compatible he will surely work on making sure it's accurate. Just shows with a little ingenuity what can be done.

29:518638949097

He says that the width is very close, but the very rear of the cab the Foose cab is about 1/32 narrower than the AMT 53 cab. He was pretty amazed with how well the rest of the 2 cabs lined up as far as contours and dimensions.

Well fellows, my friend Randy Meyer seems to have found an elegant solution to making a stock 56. He is a real stickler for detail, so now that he knows the 2 parts are compatible he will surely work on making sure it's accurate. Just shows with a little ingenuity what can be done.

29:518638949097

He says that the width is very close, but the very rear of the cab the Foose cab is about 1/32 narrower than the AMT 53 cab. He was pretty amazed with how well the rest of the 2 cabs lined up as far as contours and dimensions.

Wow! That is a killer idea!! 

Because you might want a stock 56. The Revell stock 56 is proportionally challanged. A friend of mine just put an AMT front clip on the Foose cab and it fits very well. 

Just my opinion, but to me it looks like there is a very slight "pie cut" section on the cowl, if not the cab itself.  If the top is chopped, it's a minimal amount.  The height of the window openings vary about 1/32" between this cab and the AMT '53 Ford.  Same goes for the width of the cab through the middle of the doors.  From the looks of it, it shouldn't be too tough to slice the roof off of the Foose cab just below the bottom of the side window openings (taking the top of the cowl along with it), do the same to the AMT '53, then piece the two together.  The curvature of the hoods in the two kits at the cowl are incredibly close considering these were created over 50 years apart, by different companies, using completely different design methods.  Nothing matches exactly of course, but they're close enough to be encouraging... 

That's basically what Randy Meyer did here.

FB_IMG_1497020906579.jpg