Model Cars Magazine Forum

Foose Ford Pickup photos...

I was thinking of making the cut just a bit closer to the greenhouse, but this is pretty much how I envisioned it.  The idea of joining the '53 front clip to the Foose cab sounds good, though. 

From a different thread on this forum....

More on the Chip Foose F100 body mods (from a June, 2006 special one-off magazine issue called "OverHaulin' from PriMedia:

Body

* sectioned 2" from cowl

* tipped the roof forward

* pie-cut the hood

* pulled front fender openings forward and adjusted angle to match newly-sloped roof and hood

* raised the running boards

* shortened pickup bed with 1936 Ford stake pockets

Additional build details

* Art Morrison rear subframe; C5 Corvette front subframe  

* Corvette suspension parts 

* BFG g-Force T/A KDW tires with Y-speed rating (up to 186mph)

* Roush Performance 451 ci crate motor based on 427 FE Side-Oiler.  

* MagnaFlow stainless steel exhaust system 

* Bowler Performance Transmissions Ford C6 tranny 

* Ford 9" rear with 3.73 gears

Chip's intent with this basic design was to take the iconic 1956 Ford F100 design elements and tweak them into a more idealized design vision, not constrained by the practical work aspects and 1950's design and assembly technology.  I think he (and his father Sam Foose/the build team) did a masterful job on this.  It's probably tied with Chip's '65 Impala build (recent Cobo Autorama Ridler winner) as my two favorite Foose projects.

TIM

Edited by tim boyd

From a different thread on this forum....

More on the Chip Foose F100 body mods (from a June, 2006 special one-off magazine issue called "OverHaulin' from PriMedia:

Body

* sectioned 2" from cowl

* tipped the roof forward

* pie-cut the hood

* pulled front fender openings forward and adjusted angle to match newly-sloped roof and hood

* raised the running boards

* shortened pickup bed with 1936 Ford stake pockets

Additional build details

* Art Morrison rear subframe; C5 Corvette front subframe  

* Corvette suspension parts 

* BFG g-Force T/A KDW tires with Y-speed rating (up to 186mph)

* Roush Performance 451 ci crate motor based on 427 FE Side-Oiler.  

* MagnaFlow stainless steel exhaust system 

* Bowler Performance Transmissions Ford C6 tranny 

* Ford 9" rear with 3.73 gears

Chip's intent with this basic design was to take the iconic 1956 Ford F100 design elements and tweak them into a more idealized design vision, not constrained by the practical work aspects and 1950's design and assembly technology.  I think he (and his father Sam Foose/the build team) did a masterful job on this.  It's probably tied with Chip's '65 Impala build (recent Cobo Autorama Ridler winner) as my two favorite Foose projects.

TIM

As Tim has pointed out there are many alterations to the body of the Foose truck. The biggest challenge from my point of view would be the roof section. I say this because of the extensive work done just in front of the windshield. This area had major surgery done. Could it be restored to something close to a factory body ?? This is beyond my skill set. I'm sure there are many here capable of doing this, but it would be hard. As for putting the Foose roof on the '53 AMT Ford, that's a start but you still have the issues of the '53 body. The body almost looks to tall and the hood and grill area has never looked correct to me. I for one would love to have a bone stock '56 Ford with the Big rear Window kitted. I have owned two different '56 Fords thru the years, one a standard small window and the other had the big window. So if Revell or Moebius would kit a stock '56 Big Window I think they would have a winner on their hands.  

I think the cowl right under the windshield is the most radical alteration of the entire truck.  Stock there's a "ski-jump" from the hood up to the windshield and the Foose truck gets rid of that.  The windshield sits much closer to the flat part of the hood/cowl. 

Image result for foose 1956 ford f100

Image result for foose 1956 ford f100

Edited by Brett Barrow

Ok, I stand corrected on the front axle. I had only a brief look at the parts trees and didn't see the hole.

That's a good price with the 40% off Hobby Lobby coupon. Unless Hobby Lobby gets an additional price break that the hobby shops don't get, they're making $1.22 at the coupon price.

Ok, I stand corrected on the front axle. I had only a brief look at the parts trees and didn't see the hole.

That's a good price with the 40% off Hobby Lobby coupon. Unless Hobby Lobby gets an additional price break that the hobby shops don't get, they're making $1.22 at the coupon price.

They hope that you also buy paint and supplies at full retail. We are generally cheap and get just the one item.

They hope that you also buy paint and supplies at full retail. We are generally cheap and get just the one item.

That was me yesterday! Walked in, bought my one Foose pickup kit , paid and walked out. Went next door to Ollie's and picked up another Dan Finks Speedwagon kit and used my 15% off coupon, got the kit for $6.79 plus tax!

There are times when I will buy something at full retail at HL in addition to using the 40% off coupon, but more times than not I don't.

As Tim has pointed out there are many alterations to the body of the Foose truck. The biggest challenge from my point of view would be the roof section. I say this because of the extensive work done just in front of the windshield. This area had major surgery done. Could it be restored to something close to a factory body ?? This is beyond my skill set. I'm sure there are many here capable of doing this, but it would be hard. As for putting the Foose roof on the '53 AMT Ford, that's a start but you still have the issues of the '53 body. The body almost looks to tall and the hood and grill area has never looked correct to me. I for one would love to have a bone stock '56 Ford with the Big rear Window kitted. I have owned two different '56 Fords thru the years, one a standard small window and the other had the big window. So if Revell or Moebius would kit a stock '56 Big Window I think they would have a winner on their hands.  

Are you sure you aren't talking about the Monogram 55 Ford? Because the AMT 53 has always looked pretty good to me. And I've built a few of them, including the blue 1994 box art model. On the other hand, the Monogram kit has all of those issues you mentioned. Especially in the roof area above the drip rails.

Edited by Dave Darby

Are you sure you aren't talking about the Monogram 55 Ford? Because the AMT 53 has always looked pretty good to me. And I've built a few of them, including the blue 1994 box art model. On the other hand, the Monogram kit has all of those issues you mentioned. Especially in the roof area above the drip rails.

I had the same thought: the AMT '53 always looked fine to me, but the roof on the Monogram '55 looks way too flat.

I had the same thought: the AMT '53 always looked fine to me, but the roof on the Monogram '55 looks way too flat.

You are both correct. My Bad, I misspoke on this one. As you pointed out the '55 is very disproportioned front end. I actually  have an AMT '53 Ford F-100 sitting on my side board for a build this year sometime. I was at the Hartland Show this weekend and picked up a Foose F-100. Guess what I'm starting next. This kit is really great and looks like what a '56 shoulda kouda looked like. As mentioned before I personally think the '56 F-100 was Ford's best looking truck but that is only my opinion.    

Just finished mine in about three weeks. It was a fun build - paint is Tamiya Metallic Orange over a silver base. 

Thanks Revell!

Jim Kampmann

IMG_7897.JPG

IMG_7898.JPG

IMG_7894.JPG

Outstanding build. I love the way the body looks. You picked my favorite color so I'll just have to do something different with mine. I will be getting more as my allowance allows.