Model Cars Magazine Forum

You still have models built long ago?

89AKurt

Maybe I'm desperate to show some completed models.  :P  Who still has models they built long ago, when the kits were new, when you were just starting out in the hobby?  I will start out with some Monogram curbsides.  Even though I knew the Porsche was really not a Turbo, I had to have it; modified into a LSR car with an Estes AA engine, and it worked under thrust until it sort of rolled a few times.  The Triumph TR7 is now a collectable kit, and it's the first engine transplant I did.  The 240Z is still a better kit than the Revell, I used the chrome sprue for exhaust tips.

For some reason, I have no complete airplane models to show.  :rolleyes:  I do have a collection of Bandai 1:48 German WW2 models, in boxes.

IMG_5738.JPG

9 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

Maybe I'm desperate to show some completed models.  :P  Who still has models they built long ago, when the kits were new, when you were just starting out in the hobby?  I will start out with some Monogram curbsides.  Even though I knew the Porsche was really not a Turbo, I had to have it; modified into a LSR car with an Estes AA engine, and it worked under thrust until it sort of rolled a few times.  The Triumph TR7 is now a collectable kit, and it's the first engine transplant I did.  The 240Z is still a better kit than the Revell, I used the chrome sprue for exhaust tips.

For some reason, I have no complete airplane models to show.  :rolleyes:  I do have a collection of Bandai 1:48 German WW2 models, in boxes.

IMG_5738.JPG

NICE, Kurt!!…..I don't have any of my own left...…..love that 240Z!!!!

I still have quite a few I built between 1966 and 1970. Many are intact; others have been paint-stripped and are awaiting rebuild. 

Here's an original issue Monkeemobile I built in late 1966 or early 1967, and an original MPC '68 GTO I built in 1968. Both were disassembled, cleaned up, and repaired/restored/touched up as necessary a couple years ago, but they're basically just as I built them back in the day. 

MonkeemobileA48.jpg.b8040e6f6a4701345de384041e8c6de6.jpg

68GTOA09.jpg.628a6d473443b9e4d645c23ed7925812.jpg

Oh man! Don't I wish. This is just a small sample of what I built in the 80's to very early 90's. I probably built close to 100 kits back then, and this is all I kept when I moved out of the folks' house. Unfortunately about ten years later, after being married for a few years and moving a couple of times, I foolishly put these and a few others that I had started/finished in that time to the curb. :(:angry:. Sorry for the picture quality, these were taken long before the digital camera/smart phone era, lol.

Old pic scan.jpg

Scan3.jpg

Scan5.jpg

Scan6.jpg

Scan4.jpg

4 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

These were all built from original kits when they were issued, but they are missing my Le Mans models.

5b9003849e3bd_Scan_20180905(3).jpg.f4fe8d94c4a606b5aa22cbe482562dd4.jpg

Some of these I still have.

All these old builds are great! When I get a minute, I'll try to get some pics of a few of mine. But, for now, I'd like to know more about the fork lift in this pic!

1 hour ago, Bucky said:

All these old builds are great! When I get a minute, I'll try to get some pics of a few of mine. But, for now, I'd like to know more about the fork lift in this pic!

The forklift is a Spanish Joal Caterpillar M30 CHARIOT ELEVATEUR.

5b905a3aee069_Ford_1954_Panelforlift.jpg.56152b5566b11083b844be1a105cfb53.jpg

Edited by Gramps46

1 hour ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Oh man! Don't I wish. This is just a small sample of what I built in the 80's to very early 90's. I probably built close to 100 kits back then, and this is all I kept when I moved out of the folks' house. Unfortunately about ten years later, after being married for a few years and moving a couple of times, I foolishly put these and a few others that I had started/finished in that time to the curb. :(:angry:. Sorry for the picture quality, these were taken long before the digital camera/smart phone era, lol.

I can feel your pain.

I'm guessing I built this in the late 1980's.. I think everything else before that was not very good and was redone or added to the parts bins.  It's the 30th anniverssary of the Maryland Automotive Modelers Association this month and that is when I got back into building pretty regularly.  Now if I just built six models a year that would be 180.  I think I'm a little short of that but I do have a lot of 1/43 kits so I'm probably at 100 or so total in the various display cases.

IMG_2789.JPG

9 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

These were all built from original kits when they were issued, but they are missing my Le Mans models.

5b9003849e3bd_Scan_20180905(3).jpg.f4fe8d94c4a606b5aa22cbe482562dd4.jpg

5b9009099b97a_small_20180905(4).jpg.c1e0f48400c5354f861c193591cc3b27.jpg

And then there was 1961, unfortunately I only have a few of these left, where is the time machine when I need it? 

5b90080d30d35_Scan_20180905(5).jpg.8b746326452e3df1f548401787f14d8a.jpg

Those look great. Not to make you feel too old. It still had three years to go before I was born. I didn't start building until 1970. I only have a couple of built models from then until into my mid 20's. This was due to youthful exuberance, poor packing and multiple moves by the military. I did have several car models from my teen years before joining the military and then those I built before being married. Moving and poor storage damaged most of those builds. The couple that survived would be from 1983-84, the Dale Earnhardt Wrangler T-bird and Bill Elliott Melling T-bird repainted to be Cale Yarborough's Hardee's T-Bird. They survived because they were displayed and were not stored. I still had all those broken and damaged cars up until about 10 years ago. I had planned to sell them on eBay and unfortunately they were accidentally crushed when I didn't sell them. See link below for the pics. I had also built a lot of aircraft after I joined the military (Air Force). I felt they would never survive the first move, so I gave them (50+) and maybe another 20-30 unbuilt kits to a neighbor who built airplanes.

https://public.fotki.com/tharrison351/display-cases/

Yes, I still have every model that I built starting in 1969. Some, like the ones pictured have survived,while others are in various states of rebuild/repair.

I have enough of my old stuff to rebuild to last me for years. Have a bunch of semi trucks,mini trucks,VW's,vans,Tom Daniels,etc,etc.

I have never thrown away any of my model kits,parts etc.  My late wife called it a sickness & she supported it. :)

Fast Eddie Comet. Old Pro Nova.36 Ford Cabriolet,56 F100.GMC stepside,55 Vette,74 Vette,Vans!

i-vi.jpg

h-vi.jpg

oldermodelbuilds026-vi.jpg

ww-vi.jpg

Picture303-vi.jpg

q-vi.jpg

Picture297-vi.jpg

vans0003-vi.jpg

Edited by Lordmodelbuilder

My models from my years before high school are all gone. My niece and nephew destroyed them all including one contest winner.

Some of my post college models remain, but many were casualties of moves. I miss my 1/32 F4 Phantom. 

I expect my current builds to survive at least a little past my demise. 

12 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

These were all built from original kits when they were issued, but they are missing my Le Mans models. [...]

5b9009099b97a_small_20180905(4).jpg.c1e0f48400c5354f861c193591cc3b27.jpg

And then there was 1961, unfortunately I only have a few of these left, where is the time machine when I need it? 

[...]

The middle row, are those IMC kits?   The bottom row, Aurora Maserati is something I just got from an estate; looks like an Aston Martin Monogram kit?  Thanks for sharing!

EVERYONE ELSE, thanks for sharing!  I'm shocked how many of you jumped in here, THANK YOU!  I've been lucky that I haven't moved much in my life, 33 years in my current home.

5 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

The middle row, are those IMC kits?   The bottom row, Aurora Maserati is something I just got from an estate; looks like an Aston Martin Monogram kit?  Thanks for sharing!

EVERYONE ELSE, thanks for sharing!  I'm shocked how many of you jumped in here, THANK YOU!  I've been lucky that I haven't moved much in my life, 33 years in my current home.

The Chaparrals left to right are a slot car body, an AMT, and an IMC.  The Maserati is an Aurora and the Aston Martin is an Aurora also.

8 hours ago, Lordmodelbuilder said:

Yes, I still have every model that I built starting in 1969. Some, like the ones pictured have survived,while others are in various states of rebuild/repair.

I have never thrown away any of my model kits,parts etc.  My late wife called it a sickness & she supported it. :)

Fast Eddie Comet.

i-vi.jpg

Ahhh yes! The old Jo-Han Comet. Love it man.

I still have my very first auto build ever back in 1981. A Monogram 69 Z/28 Camaro.  I decided to convert it into an SS396 this past year but managed to keep almost all of the original parts in the build to include part of  the grille which I graphed in a section and added an SS emblem to. I sourced a couple of parts from an acquired parts kit in order to replace parts missing over the years and to replace the hood which I cut a hole in as a kid.

Before

RSCN0264_zpscpo4bdzp.jpg

After:

Camaro%20Money%20Shots%20006_zpsre7cmwzh

Camaro%20Money%20Shots%20008_zpsqhpg7v2w

Edited by mustang1989