Model Cars Magazine Forum

2019 Round2 Car Kit Releases

Casey

Guys,

The Vega promo is dirt cheap (under $50.00).  Okay, let me rephrase that for those who complain about $50.00 being a lot of money.  You could probably buy two for that price if you are patient.  Aside from not being able to open the hood, it makes a great model.  I have the ugly Mesa Sand '71 (an orangy tan) and a dark green '73.  There are many out there with scratched paint or molded plastic, broken bumpers, scratched glass.  You can do a lot with these for little money.  It's the same situation with the Monza, Cavalier and Beretta.  

2 hours ago, Motor City said:

Guys,

The Vega promo is dirt cheap (under $50.00).  Okay, let me rephrase that for those who complain about $50.00 being a lot of money.  You could probably buy two for that price if you are patient.  Aside from not being able to open the hood, it makes a great model.  I have the ugly Mesa Sand '71 (an orangy tan) and a dark green '73.  There are many out there with scratched paint or molded plastic, broken bumpers, scratched glass.  You can do a lot with these for little money.  It's the same situation with the Monza, Cavalier and Beretta.  

Agree completely. Year or so ago I bought at the local toy show a Vega and a Monza, both slightly "distressed" but VERY restorable/workable, and I didn't pay over $20 for either one. 

See, I have to say, I'd rather have a later vega; the ones with the "vacuum cleaner grate" front. I call it that, because when I was growing up we had an old Hoover that reminded me of a Vega. Well, in looks. It ran for 25 years, so it was UNLIKE a Vega in other was.

However, I will not turn down an early one. 

I know there's a promo of the "cool" later ones; my brother has it. I bought it for him, and almost tore it down so I could build it like a kit! :)

Vega Army: RISE!

13 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

They obviously though there was enough demand for that Peerless to cut a set of moulds for a diecast, and it's not like it's that big a name.

Exactly, and with most of the hard work done (i.e., setting up masters,) a second set of moulds, especially if done using 3-D printed metal, wouldn't be too expensive.

Charlie Larkin

I'd bet that, as the release date of the first pro stock Vega kit is announced, eBay will see a torrent of annual kits, built, unbuilt and everything in between, from people who had them stashed away for projects.  Those wanting a stock one will be able to get one then.

3 hours ago, hpiguy said:

I've never even seen a Vega in person, I'll still build it. Dragster, stock, whatever.

You must be a youngster. 

Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I saw a Vega on the road. Probably not in this century. :unsure:

The last Vega I can DEFINITELY remember was, in the early '80s I dated a girl whose brother was a serious gearhead who had a hot rod one with a heavily built SBC in it. Never saw it on the street but it was complete and I have no doubt it was running. 

I haven't seen a stock Vega since about the end '86. There were a pair in the townhouse complex I grew up in. One was (of course) a brownish gold, with woodgrain; it was clearly a wagon. the woodgrain tried to hid the hideous amounts of rust. However, it failed.

The other was a green wagon. Also a woody. 

There had been a Pontiac Astre for a while, too. I think it started as silver, but so much primer on there I couldn't be sure. I don't remember seeing it after I got G1 Metroplex though, so I guess the winter of '85-'86 killed it.  The other two made it until the end of summer, at least. 

Yes, Vegas and Hoovers did have the "uck" in common. :)

Stock or pro-stock, somebody is probably going to be disappointed.  The original Bruce Larson kit had the rear wheel wells enlarged for the slicks - including nicely finished molding around the opening.  The pro-stock chassis and interior were basically stock but also modified for the slicks.  It looks like MPC reworked the wheel wells back to stock for the later model year kits  and promos.  Then just roughly hogged out the wheel well opening for one last gasp as the Twister Vega.  I like seeing the new bodies - what can be seen in the Round2 photo looks good.

Edited by Muncie

55 minutes ago, jjsipes said:

Just seen this one in June at Chevrolet Nationals in Carlisle, PA.

Image may contain: car and outdoor

Sweet! Seeing it in that color jangled loose some kind of memory. I think I guy in my dorm in college ('70s) drove a Vega in that color. 

chevy_vega_71.png

I drove one like this from Nashville to New Orleans back in 1980. Of course, all the doors and hatches were closed!

It was 8 years old. It rained really hard somewhere in Mississippi, and the  front floorboards (and my shoes) filled up with water.

I had to stop and bail out the water!! 

Edited by Bucky

I saw a stock Vega wagon Saturday. the guy lives in the area and is at every car event. 

2v2u9CiY5xJcANd.jpg

Wife owned a 74 hatchback when we got married. Awful car with ball steering, heavy clutch. Seems I recall  having to remove the glove box to replace the fuel pump??? We sold it to get a house...so it served us OK. 

Model wise....I'll buy any of them......

Back about 1979  or so. I worked in the lawn and garden dept and a local retailer.

One day had to go load a couple  bags of mulch for a customer.

We walked up to a dark green Vega hatchback,,,maybe a 72 or 73 maybe .. I commented about the  5 lug rallye wheels and  he just smiled. So we talked for a few minutes.

Guys parents had bought it new and it was a hand me down to him with a very tired 4 cyl.. So he decided to turn it up a notch for a street toy. Turned out the car had a smog motor 454 stuffed in it.

I remember he told me the car actually handled fairly well for  being that nose heavy. Was actually very decent on gas.   But,,,,,, was quite the handful  if you even  barely leaned on the gas to much,,. he said you better have it pointed where you wanted to go because you were gonna get there quickly.

weird part is there was no huge tires under it ( maybe a G60-14 )  wasn't real loud when running. And just a small hood scoop to clear the carb and air cleaner.