Model Cars Magazine Forum

Eldora Low 1970 Custom Cadillac

Claude Thibodeau

Hi!

Johan's 1970 Eldo as a great body... but a rather simplified chassis. Therefore, I transplanted a 66 Riviera chassis (AMT), but kept the Caddy engine. I suspect it is indeed an Olds engine, from the Toronado twin kit. Anyway, this Eldo is now a FWD lowered  custom. I used the custom parts included in the kit for the grille & rear bumper. Boby smoothed & shaved. Swapmeet wire wheels, probably from Revell's Caddy Escalade. Maisto low profile tires. Testor's Inca gold, with Tamya's pearl clear (to soften the flake reflections) +  testor's Wetlook clear, polished. Interior coated with craft store butternut yellow shade. 

Thanks to Wayne Kady, Cadillac designer, for this timeless classic. 

CT

There was a problem uploading more pix. I'll add some later...

DSCF3636 (2).JPG

DSCF3637 (2).JPG

Yes, yes. Very nice.  Looks like something I would build, actually.:o ;)

And, you're correct about the engine. It is an Olds. You can tell easiest by the distributor being on the back. The Caddy engine is almost a clone of a big block Ford.

, , , and BTW, if anyone has one of those custom grilles from this kit to spare OR the grille/bumper from a '67 or '68, I could use one.

Edited by Can-Con

Hi!

Thanks for the comments.

To Tom's point: indeed, the Eldo, Riv and Toronado were all part of the same "platform program" at GM. They also shared a few components, such as roof strucrure, door frames and glass, and many other bits and pieces. Therefore, since the Johan Caddy and AMT's Riv were of the same scale, the Buick chassis was a shoe-in. The only major difference was at the firewall level, since Riv was RWD and Caddy FWD.

Other tan that, a breeze...

CT

Hi Mike!

Really? Lucky guy, they are rare nowadays.

I think there are slight variations in the design of those, depending the year of the kit. I saw that the 67 Eldo kit seems to have horizontal bars only in the custom grille. My kit was a 70, and the rectangles in this custom grille, oddly enought, mimick the rectangles of the... 67 stock grille! Go figure...

CT