Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Plymouth Fury

StevenGuthmiller

Hello everybody!

After 6 months of trials and tribulations, this project is finally complete.

Those of you who followed this build already know what has been done to this original Johan kit, but for anyone else who may be interested, here is a brief over view.

The only body modifications involved removing the skirts and adding a vinyl top.

The interior was completely reworked including removing the convertible top wells and totally rebuilding the door panels.

The chassis was stolen from a Lindberg 1964 Plymouth Belvedere kit and remains largely as it came from the kit with the addition of a scratch built exhaust system and a set of Torque Thrust wheels fabricated from 3 different sets of wheels.

The engine compartment was largely scratch built using a heavily modified firewall from the Lindberg Belvedere, modified fender wells from the original Johan kit and a ton of scratch built parts including all of the wiring, radiator brace top, a hood latch strike plate for the grille, and torsion bar hood springs.

Many other modified or scratched parts were added to the engine compartment that I won't bother listing here.

The engine is a modified example taken from the Lindberg Plymouth with many added details including scratch built parts such as dip stick, oil filler and breather caps, fuel filters, etc.

It has been completely plumbed and wired and a set of beautiful Fireball Modelworks carbs were added.

Air cleaners (not depicted) are removable.

I need to offer my thanks to a whole host of forum members who helped me along with this project through their advice and generous help with parts!

Thank you to Bruce Coy, (Belugawrx) for providing the beautiful white lettered tires!

Likewise, a big thanks to Bob Spedding, (TooOld) for contributing his expertise in photo reduction and making gauge faces for the dash!

As well, thank you Dan Carlson, (garagepunk66)!

He generously provided a nice package of engine parts, that though I did not use them on this project, I appreciate and will definitely use them on another Mopar build in the future.

Again, thank you guys for all of your help!

It amazes me every day how people on this board will go out of their way to help.

It is greatly appreciated!

So without further ado, the pics! :)

As always, all comments and criticisms are not only welcome, but appreciated!

Thanks!

Steve

image.thumb.jpeg.df408e62728155dfba76836b56105b4f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5057b71e6834c5b0488b6c388679870f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b83fa823becf50ac717ca0b881e932b7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.10f02df5f9d0cb1815dc675005b46ab9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.37711f3605c5c647d52051b5d042437c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bc35378dab32d366ab0c2037c6d18356.jpeg

A few engine pics.

image.thumb.jpeg.2d366c17f1132e68d68170101ff7f00a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.01915ca317c0accddee7bdc165727722.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2b885c01c0b0a889c397abb395cc9ce3.jpeg

Indoor shots.

image.thumb.jpeg.ce085c9b6cb7edd478617d9ecac78c69.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ca5525ee9ecb7d1b0d3700ef0c2f5fea.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4afd0584efb095b3a58bcea5c9f8428e.jpeg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Well I gotta say. It looks good. Love the color combination.

It definitely has the late 60s /early 70s street car vibe to it with the tires / wheels  and lack of fender skirts .

Makes me think of it as Junior got moms hand me down fury in high school and he spent all his money 'fixing it up' at nationwise auto parts

Well done my friend , LOVE all the little details you put into it

Thank you so much guys!

I really value your opinions!

1 hour ago, GaryR said:

BEAUTIFUL! Great work!

Don't remember those Hemi Furies, but that looks great.

Not a Hemi Gary.

It's a 426 "Max Wedge".

Not factory correct for a '65 Fury either, but I took a few liberties with this one. ;)

Steve

That is a awesome awesome build the color the wheels and tires everything it's perfect !! i'm 67 JoHan was the only model company that really put out a lot of Mopar and AMC kits I try to find as many as I can and over the years I have found many but now they are getting more and more money for the old kits it would be nice to see some one remaster these old kits and bring them out again I know 90% of the JoHan molde's were lost over the years so someone would have start over from the ground up.

Wow!   A new high-water mark for all of us I think.   Absolutely beautiful.  And captures so many different little details.   My question is are the emblems done using your method of foiling before paint?  You seem to have the touch on that technique...