Model Cars Magazine Forum

New From Round2/AMT 2020

stavanzer

It was the perfect storm. Chinese New Year is officially one week. BUT.......they allow one week to travel home, one week NY and one week travel. So best case is three weeks. Add the virus in and you have a mess. I have issue that things are back to norm today....we'll see. 

20 hours ago, Motor City said:

John,

Other than the Corvette, I don't recall any GM cars coming standard with disc brakes in '67.  In fact, special 15" wheels were used on the intermediates that had that option, as did large Chevy and Pontiac models.  I believe the 4-piston calipers were used for all of the GM disc brakes in '67 and '68 except possibly the Corvette, which I think were made by Delco.  The 4-piston caliper brakes were made by Bendix, though Delco made some of the master cylinders.  My '68 Eldorado came standard with these brakes.  GM went to the more conventional brakes starting with the '69 model year.  

You are correct. GM used the 4 piston calipers thru the '68 model run on the passenger cars and went to the single piston "slider" calipers starting in 1969 models. I ordered a new '68 Bel Air and ordered it with the Disc Brakes which were the 4 piston caliper design. This required 15" Wheels and I paid very little to up grade those to the 7" wide Rally Wheels.  

3 hours ago, Dave Van said:

It was the perfect storm. Chinese New Year is officially one week. BUT.......they allow one week to travel home, one week NY and one week travel. So best case is three weeks. Add the virus in and you have a mess. I have issue that things are back to norm today....we'll see. 

The Lunar New Year was on 25/01 this year... You're right about the timing .

2 hours ago, Muncie said:

The disc brakes in the Cutlass kit are custom optional parts.  Custom  disc brakes were a common part in AMT kits about that time.

oc64 c02

The custom intake setup (Judson superchargers?) looks bonkers! I really hope that ends up in the box!

IIRC the Cutlass didn't have molded in front seats, but console was molded in. I don't see front buckets on the trees. My HT and convert aren't handy at the moment, I'd guess they had to redo them too. 

Promo likely long gone, hard to even find original Cutlass ht promo for 64. I've never seen a promo convertible in person. 

OK guys, finally time for me to spill the beans on the new Round 2/AMT 1964 Cutlass convertible kit.  Here is my understanding.....

1.  This project has been underway for several years (I recall posting an intentionally very vague hint about it here...what....2 or 3 years ago???)

2. The project involves a newly tooled body, patterned off the original annual kit, that matches up with the rest of the original kit tool.  The body is not a modification of the Streaker funny car body, it is all-new tooling.  

3. The remaining features of the original annual kit, including that way, way cool Judson supercharger unit, are to be included in the kit, again based on what I have been told.  

Now...two comments:

*   I acquired the original annual AMT 1964 Cutlass convertible annual kit sometime in the mid-late 1970's and always thought it was a cool kit of a really, really handsome car.  Never in a million years did I ever dream it might be available again as a new kit.  Is this a great time to be involved in the hobby, or what?    

*  Reading the comments from some who post here, the assumption seems to be that the model companies do not listen to kit buyers and don't understand what we want to see in kits.    That is completely, utterly wrong.  My observations are that nearly all ideas are looked at, and the ones that are judged to be viable are added to an existing list of project ideas.  Many variables determine which of those ideas are then prioritized at the top and slated for development, and then development can take many months, or sometimes years, to bring to the market, especially when one factors in the quality expectations of today's adult kit buyers. And while this is going on, the model companies generally remain mostly or completely quiet about their plans.  And anyone from outside the companies who might be advised about the project must also remained tight lipped as well.  Just some things to keep in mind when your favorite pet project idea doesn't hit the stores six months later......

Cheers....TIM 

well put, Tim!

Maybe there is hope for a '64 442 variant as well.  It wouldn't be too difficult to also tool up a '65 442 body and interior for another kit that is sorely lacking.

Possibly they will consider doing the same with the '65 Dynamic 88.  That kit has the optional wheels used on the '64 Cutlass auto show concept car.

18 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

1.  This project has been underway for several years (I recall posting an intentionally very vague hint about it here...what....2 or 3 years ago???)

I remember that, but just assumed that it would be a much older "street rod" type model. You kept the lid on real good, old friend! B)

4 minutes ago, Motor City said:

It wouldn't be too difficult to also tool up a '65 442 body and interior for another kit that is sorely lacking.

You can get a resin '65 4-4-2 now from MCW. I bought one last year and am very pleased with the quality, and the price was quite reasonable. I should try to get that thing built this year. 

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

You can get a resin '65 4-4-2 now from MCW. I bought one last year and am very pleased with the quality, and the price was quite reasonable. I should try to get that thing built this year. 

I want to get one of those... I have a resin '65 ht and a resin '64 wagon from R&R that I got close 20 years ago...they are a bit rough. 

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I remember that, but just assumed that it would be a much older "street rod" type model. You kept the lid on real good, old friend! B)

Hi Snake,

How about posting photos of the '65 442.  Does it include chrome grille and bumpers, and the correct interior?

CUT-65ht  1965 Olds 442 Ht. (1/25th scale)  $40.00
      (stock body, hood, grill & bumpers, interior, wheels, & vacuformed glass)
     Use Lindberg '67 442 kit for chassis and engine.

Edited by Motor City
update

13 minutes ago, Motor City said:

Hi Snake,

How about posting photos of the '65 442.  Does it include chrome grille and bumpers, and everything else needed to build as a stock promo-style kit?

Here is the MCW pictures of it, parts aren't chromed. 

https://mcwfinishes.com/shop?olsPage=products%2F1965-oldsmobile-442

MCW also has photos of a built up on their old website.

http://www.mcwautomotivefinishes.com/resin/gallery.html

Edited by Rob Hall

No, no chrome in the MCW '65 4-4-2, BUT it is WAY nicer than the old R&R resin of years ago. I had one and swapped it off several years ago. I knew my skills weren't up to making a model out of it that I'd have been proud to display. 

I'll be waiting with great anticipation for this kit!

I've been keeping an eye on ebay for several years just in case a presentable '64 Cutlass convertible or hard top presented itself, and now I'm glad that I didn't drop the &250.00 or more that these kits can command.

But, be fore warned.

The whining and complaining will commence in very short order!

I can hear it already.

"If Round 2 is going through the work of tooling a new body, why didn't they whip up a new interior, engine and chassis?"

I guess that there will always be some that will never be satisfied with taking what they can get. <_<

Steve

I was just looking and unless I missed something, there isn't that much difference between the standard F85 convertible and the 442 for '64. Looks to be mechanical stuff you would not see in a model, like  beefier motor and chassis upgrades. The only real difference is  the 442 emblems/badging that are added. These could be replicated if someone does a photo etch set. 

12 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I've been keeping an eye on ebay for several years just in case a presentable '64 Cutlass convertible or hard top presented itself, and now I'm glad that I didn't drop the &250.00 or more that these kits can command.

But, be fore warned.

I can hear it already.

"If Round 2 is going through the work of tooling a new body, why didn't they whip up a new interior, engine and chassis?"

There will be the inevitable posts from clueless people on Facebook that buy the kit thinking it's a new tool and then whine about the molded-in-one-piece chassis and wire axles....people need to learn the history and inform themselves....

13 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

But, be fore warned.

I can hear it already.

I guess that there will always be some that will never be satisfied with taking what they can get. <_<

Steve

Without the body they had a useless tool, where they paid for, so it's good business sense to tool up a new body (and probably clear too) , cuz now it can make money.