Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1963 Impala - Advanced Custom Version

Impalow

Thanks guys!   I'm really happy with how this thing is coming together. 

I did make a little boo-boo with my lighting, evidentially I didn't read the https://evandesigns.com/ clearly and I can not run the flickering LED's off the same battery as the solid and color changing LED's. (they all flicker... ?)

Luckily since my first order they have introduced some new smaller battery holders, I think I'm going to be able to make one of those work to power the flickering screens while still keeping the larger battery to power the head and taillights.

So now I'm waiting on my new order to arrive, I really love their website and products... makes adding some lighting effects a somewhat "easy" task... plus they check your order to make sure you are ordering compatible components.

I was able to take some time and get the tire decals done, these are really delicate and not easy to keep round, however I absolutely love the look... exactly what I was going for.

tires.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Impalow said:

Thanks guys!   I'm really happy with how this thing is coming together. 

I did make a little boo-boo with my lighting, evidentially I didn't read the https://evandesigns.com/ clearly and I can not run the flickering LED's off the same battery as the solid and color changing LED's. (they all flicker... ?)

Luckily since my first order they have introduced some new smaller battery holders, I think I'm going to be able to make one of those work to power the flickering screens while still keeping the larger battery to power the head and taillights.

So now I'm waiting on my new order to arrive, I really love their website and products... makes adding some lighting effects a somewhat "easy" task... plus they check your order to make sure you are ordering compatible components.

I was able to take some time and get the tire decals done, these are really delicate and not easy to keep round, however I absolutely love the look... exactly what I was going for.

tires.jpg

Love these tires. What was your source for the tires and the decals  ?? 

9 minutes ago, espo said:

Love these tires. What was your source for the tires and the decals  ?? 

Same here!   They are from Plastic Performance Products = https://www.banditshobbies.com/store/p7369/PLASTIC_PERFORMANCE_PRODUCTS_%23GRFM%3A_Gold_Ring_Firestone_Modified_Style_Model_Car_Racing_Tire_Set_(4).html

I buy a couple sets every year at NNL East- (note they come with only one small tire, so to get a true set of bigs and littles you have to buy 2 sets... and you end up with 2 extra bigs)

Edited by Impalow
cant spell.... art school..

• 8 months later...

hey guys! remember this thing?    I'm finally starting to get some bench time in again!  I really want to get this one wrapped up before all the fall shows.

So I started working on the "payload" for this hauler... taking all the ideas tossing them into a blender and this thing came out..

VettePS2.jpg.e1f3b8e86f58c627376b7820fd9ee1ae.jpg

Relatively crude Photoshop but i think the idea comes across..   Early 70's formula car chassis, with a rearranged 1963 corvette body... narrowed, shortened, cab-forward'ed and  open-wheel'ed.  Obviously not white... thinking some sort of complimentary paint scheme.  My own design 3d printed chassis, clam-shell opening body.. thinking 348/409 mid-engine with Can-am stacks out the split window...

Something about this just feels right, and should be small enough to fit on the back of the hauler (well I'm designing it to make sure it fits... haha)

Again I say the last thing I need is another WIP but this part of the main project so... here we go!

VetteStart.jpg.846bc49a1817735dcb52ae2532596bad.jpg

Ill probably start a separate thread for this once I get a bit farther down the road... but figured I'd post here since its directly related to this project!

Edited by Impalow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe Handley said:

That one is an AMT 1/32 Stingray.

52 minutes ago, chris chabre said:

Thats what I figured haha At first I thought my eyes were messing with me

Yup!   with all the compound angles going on with the rear portion of the stingray roof.. instead of chopping/narrowing I'm just going to use the 1:32 scale roof as a donor... That is at least the plan at this point, hopefully I can pull it off!!  Currently the body is a bit too narrow for even the 1/32 roof, so I may have to do some trickery.. but I do have some ideas.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Impalow said:

Yup!   with all the compound angles going on with the rear portion of the stingray roof.. instead of chopping/narrowing I'm just going to use the 1:32 scale roof as a donor... That is at least the plan at this point, hopefully I can pull it off!!  Currently the body is a bit too narrow for even the 1/32 roof, so I may have to do some trickery.. but I do have some ideas.

Oh, that's a great idea!

Crazy work ! 

So pleased your also building the rod, if anyone can pull it off its you !  

Cant wait for more Eric, I get a lot of inspiration from your threads,  ( although that usually involves me getting WAY over my head with a project I cant finish, so your a Bad influence too !!   ☺️  )