Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2020 Kits !

Mr mopar

17 hours ago, highway said:

Oh yes, the wonder broken up TRA NS AM on the decal sheets! :lol: The only thing I still don't understand is how MPC without that licencing was able to use the Trans Am names on the box art, because quite a few of those old late 70s and early 80s Trans Am kits have "Firebird Trans Am" on the box even into the AMT days.

One thing that I'm disappointed in with the Rubicon is I think Revell completely messed up more than just the spelling on LIFEGUARD with this kit. It's just my opinion so you can agree with it or not, but now that I have watched the unboxing video this has went from a "can't wait to see what's inside" to a "meh, I don't really care if I pick one up or not and probably won't" because I think Revell could have sold to many more by keeping the previous issue's off road parts in the kit as well as the new factory stock parts and day two add ons such as the snorkel and more aggressive tires than what you'd probably roll off the dealer lot with. I for one was planning on buying a few if the Baja Claw tires from the previous issue would have been included as options in this issue just for tires for the parts box without leaving me with a kit without tires and wheels I could have still built as a factory stock or a slightly modified in progress rig with a mix of the parts from both the new parts and the previous issue parts. As I said, this is just my opinion so I don't really care if anyone agrees with the way I feel or not, but I just see it as one more thing in a long line of things Revell messes up, and just not a misspelling on the decal sheet! Good job Revell, because I know for sure you lost at least a solid few kits you would have sold to me just because you couldn't make this kit be built optional ways. 

Ditto for me. I was hoping they would have made this a 3 in 1 kit- Stock, Off Road and Custom- and I would have likely bought a couple of them, now I doubt I will buy one.

This kit is a little off putting to myself for a couple of reasons. #1 I just don't care for the lower cut body sides found on the soft top Jeeps, and I know that's a personal problem. #2 the fact this will probably be priced in the $30 + range and no engine. Again a personal problem. I just feel at this price point it should have an engine, and some other  off road goodies might ease the pain a little. 

14 hours ago, Chris in Berwyn said:

Say, how is this kit?  Back in 1979 or so I didn’t like the nose on this car, but now I have a soft spot for it and if it’s a decent kit I’ll get one.  

Per the Firebird...  I never liked the nose on this car!   Years ago a friend of mine in NJ had a brother who ran an auto repair shop in Tennessee.  Cars down there were rust free, especially clean of the dreaded rear window surround rust commonly found on up North cars!   He wanted a nice reliable daily driver, so his brother rebuilt the car top to bottom for him.  He flew down and drove it home.   It was a very nice car even though I didn't like the nose!  

I bought my first new car (also the first car I bought) in '79.  First choice would have been a Firebird like James Garner drove in The Rockford Files.  Probably wasn't going to happen anyway (the insurance would probably have killed the idea) but the '79 styling definitely killed it.  I don't think Garner ever used a '79 on the show either...the last handful of episodes had him in a white GMC Caballero as I recall...

5 hours ago, espo said:

This kit is a little off putting to myself for a couple of reasons. #1 I just don't care for the lower cut body sides found on the soft top Jeeps, and I know that's a personal problem. #2 the fact this will probably be priced in the $30 + range and no engine. Again a personal problem. I just feel at this price point it should have an engine, and some other  off road goodies might ease the pain a little. 

$21.99 at a few online hobby retailers.

You are correct, no engine, remember, this is a reissue of the Off road version that was released in 2015 which is tooled from the Metal kit series that Revell and started out as the Tomb Raider Metal body kit.

Edited by martinfan5

17 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

$21.99 at a few online hobby retailers.

You are correct, no engine, remember, this is a reissue of the Off road version that was released in 2015 which is tooled from the Metal kit series that Revell and started out as the Tomb Raider Metal body kit.

Thank you for the background info on this kit. I was relating it to the other Wrangler kits that I have seen. My reasons my seem petty to some, but I have to really like a models subject before I open the old wallet. What I would really like to see is a kit I could build to represent our '09 Wrangler, JK model, 2 door with the Hardtop. With the information you have given me and the past models I have built I have never liked the way a plastic model turns out if based on a Die Cast model. 

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Thanks for the info. I had looked at that when it first came out. I wanted one in the worst way, but at that price I'm past my pain threshold. I have heard that those that had built one were very impressed by the kit.   

2 hours ago, espo said:

Thanks for the info. I had looked at that when it first came out. I wanted one in the worst way, but at that price I'm past my pain threshold. I have heard that those that had built one were very impressed by the kit.   

That's the U.S. MSRP after a couple levels of grubby up-charging occurs. The actual kits sells for a few pennies over $35 in reality, plus another $8 or so shipping from Hong Kong.

1 hour ago, niteowl7710 said:

That's the U.S. MSRP after a couple levels of grubby up-charging occurs. The actual kits sells for a few pennies over $35 in reality, plus another $8 or so shipping from Hong Kong.

I wouldn't mind that price at all. Order directly from Meng or? I found one on ebay for $32.98. But, shipping was $15. Then there were the stupid prices too.

1 hour ago, Plowboy said:

I wouldn't mind that price at all. Order directly from Meng or? I found one on ebay for $32.98. But, shipping was $15. Then there were the stupid prices too.

Keep in mind the kit box is probably about 1 and half size bigger than normal kit Japanese style kit boxes, its big a kit box, its close to being about the same size as some semi kit boxes are.

You can ship from Hong Kong for about $11US, same kit price.

https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/eufebppg8ykynhqyitql.html

Edited by martinfan5

On 3/15/2020 at 3:58 PM, Can-Con said:

They were able to because they had paid for the licencing for a few years. It seems to go back and forth between the companys  a lot in those days.

Even GM had contemplated changing "Trans Am" to just "T/A" for the 3rd generation cars so they  wouldn't have to deal with the SCCA, who have always owned the rights to the name, not GM.

On 3/15/2020 at 7:42 PM, 1972coronet said:

Which is why Dodge employed T/A on their 1970 Challenger --- can't copyright numbers nor acronyms .

Steve, I am quite aware that the SCCA owns the name to the Trans Am and not Pontiac/GM because I have loved anything associated with the screaming chicken for almost 40 years and have almost every kit made of the car except for a few of the annuals that have eluded me. I also know other than PMD for the real cars, the only model company that ever ponied up the money to SCCA for the Trans AM name was Monogram and like John said for the Challenger though that version of their car ran in the Trans Am series also, it was known just as a "T/A". That is also why most all of my Trans Am kits are older issue Monogram kits, because while I have thought of picking up the newer reissue of the 70 for the expanded decal sheet for interior details and such, I still have an original Monogram decal sheet for the "Trans Am" names that have been left off ever since the Revell/Monogram merger because Revell never would spend the extra to call the Trans Am what it truly was after they bought Monogram who had the licencing from the SCCA. That name on those cars are one rivet I can't skip counting!  

17 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

I'll have to look at this, Thank you. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wheels are too Foose-y for me, but good to have this kit back, specifically with the bird bath hood. That might be the only Satellite specific parts still remaining.

latest?cb=20170516141952

182 parts in the 3'n1 '62 Impala...no complaining about no getting your moneys worth with this kit.

44 minutes ago, Casey said:

Wheels are too Foose-y for me, but good to have this kit back, specifically with the bird bath hood. That might be the only Satellite specific parts still remaining.

latest?cb=20170516141952

182 parts in the 3'n1 '62 Impala...no complaining about no getting your moneys worth with this kit.

Casey, is this release different then the last release under Previous ownership?

2 hours ago, Casey said:

good to have this kit back, specifically with the bird bath hood. That might be the only Satellite specific parts still remaining.

Maybe the single four barrel-atop the aftermarket intake is still around ( including the non-stock air cleaner ) , and maybe the Satellite / Road Runner tiller . Body and interior tub were modified to Satellite Sebring / GTX livery back in '95 or '96 (along with the much-welcomed firewall details , and the superior-to-earlier-offerings Six Barrel induction / Holley 2300's) .