Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

In the last few weeks, I found and bought both the reissued '55 Chevy and the new '71 4-4-2 at HL.  The ones I bought were the only examples of each that I have seen to date, which means that either they haven't gotten any more in, or both are selling like crazy.

The Chevy isn't really "worth" forty bucks plus tax, even with the 40% off it is borderline.  But they did a great job on the packaging, decals, and presentation, and there are times when that wins out.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Joe Nunes said:

Checked our HL yesterday and same kits with lots of empty shelf space.  With all the new kits coming out you would think someone at HL would want to put them on the shelves and sell them. 

Joe

Pretty sure HL operates on the system where a buyer for the company buys from the manufacture, and has the warehouse send X number of each kit to each store.  I kinda doubt there is much ordering at the store level on model kits......or the kits are sitting in a back room wait to be put on a shelf. Major chains all operate this way today. 

• Like 1

Dave, you are correct. I have discussed this situation with the HL folks in our local store and all of the clerks, stockers and the manager stated that they have no say in what model stock arrives with the weekly company truck. They don't like the situation either but that's how the HL system works.  Still I am glad to be able to purchase some desired kits during the 40% off weeks and have plenty to keep me busy while I'm still looking at the bright side of the sod.  😉

Joe

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joe Nunes said:

Dave, you are correct. I have discussed this situation with the HL folks in our local store and all of the clerks, stockers and the manager stated that they have no say in what model stock arrives with the weekly company truck. They don't like the situation either but that's how the HL system works.  Still I am glad to be able to purchase some desired kits during the 40% off weeks and have plenty to keep me busy while I'm still looking at the bright side of the sod.  😉

Joe

The method of distribution with companies is pretty standard. My son works for a big pharmacy chain. They get a warehouse truck once a week. It is full of bins full of product the person in control thinks they need. Because of this he gets stuff that does not sell.....and stuff he needs three times as much as he gets. He has figured out how to manipulate it a little go get things he needs.....but 95% of product coming in is wharf CORP wants the store to have. Thx

I kept going back every week to pick up a 55 Chevy and a 37 Ford and they just never had any stock…in the end I relented and got smart and ordered them on Amazon.  It was a few bucks more, but I already spent a few bucks more in gas hunting them down anyway.

I too would like to see fuller shelves and more of the new stuff, but I’m sure their management know what they’re doing (or are under that impression)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Bill Eh? said:

The NNL East is just over a week away. Does Hobby Lobby run its 40% off every 4th week? if so, will this discount correspond with the weekend of April 21st, 22nd? Not that there might be some kits for sale at the NNL! LOL

They'll be running it next week. Seems to run every other week. 

• Like 1