Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scale Auto Web Site

And the forum’s done too...

Dear Enthusiasts,

As we incorporate scale-car modeling content more fully into FineScale Modeler, we have made the decision to shut down the Scale Auto website and Forum on Friday, October 9. 

Scale Auto subscribers will have access to subscriber-only content on FineScale.com, where you will find car, truck, and motorcycle kit reviews, along with how-to guides and building advice, and a continually growing selection of scale-car modeling stories. 

We invite you to sign up for the FineScale Modeler Forum where you can discuss your models and share your experiences.

Thank you for supporting Scale Auto over the years, and I hope to see you over at FineScale Modeler.

Regards,

Tim Kidwell, editor”

12 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

Was there anyone who didn't see this coming?

I’m not SUPER surprised - but you’d figure maybe that if it’s all up and running may as well leave it up there a while...if only because one of the perks of being an SA subscriber was meant to be having access to all the exclusive and extra content on the site for the lifetime of your subscription.  Unless they plan on moving that stuff over, but I seem to recall there’s quite a bit of it on there...

9 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Thinly veiled sarcasm. Maybe, but some of us hoped for the best. SAE  was directly responsible for me getting back into the hobby in 92, and the forum was the first I joined. I am deeply saddened to see all of it gone.

35 minutes ago, Classicgas said:

Thinly veiled sarcasm. Maybe, but some of us hoped for the best. SAE  was directly responsible for me getting back into the hobby in 92, and the forum was the first I joined. I am deeply saddened to see all of it gone.

Wasn't meant to be. It was also the first forum I joined and for a while, it was great. But, it didn't take long for Jim Haught to single handedly ruin it. That forum has had a stigma that couldn't be excised for years. With the magazine being absorbed by FSM, it's no surprise that the forum is being absorbed by FSM also. 

2 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Wasn't meant to be. It was also the first forum I joined and for a while, it was great. But, it didn't take long for Jim Haught to single handedly ruin it. That forum has had a stigma that couldn't be excised for years. With the magazine being absorbed by FSM, it's no surprise that the forum is being absorbed by FSM also. 

My bad. Sorry.  I agree about  Haught.

11 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Jim Haught: Kalmbach's answer to John Dianna. Mind you, the current high foreheads at TEN have made Dianna look like a paragon of managerial restraint.

I am saddened to see SA go down the way it did. I thought Tim Kidwell was doing a good job at bringing the magazine back to relevance. Unfortunately, Scale Auto was never a really good fit in the Kalmbach world of modelling generalists and geriatric train lovers.

The SA forum was the first modeling forum I joined.  It was a really nice forum until they became very strict on content years ago.  I found my posts edited from a couple of paragraphs to a couple of sentences by the moderators.  I then decided to focus on this forum instead of SA.  I would check out SA forum once in a while to find very little activity.

35 minutes ago, carrucha said:

I found my posts edited from a couple of paragraphs to a couple of sentences by the moderators.

Me too!  The editor would edit the posts as though it were the magazine ?.  I’d find a little note at the bottom of a post saying “unnecessarily long post” or something ?

Then they brought in the 3-picture rule, where you could only do 3 pictures per post (but could post multiple posts with additional pictures).  

Apparently the intention was to save bandwidth, so I figured I’d help by instead of posting, say, 9 photos, I’d edit them into a collage with 3 images each (with a combined smaller size than 9 singles) and post that instead

Got an email one day saying I’d been banned for a month for “circumventing the 3-picture rule” ?

I remember when they (he) banned depictions of the General Lee car's roof decoration. I see this as kind of ironic since "He who shall not be named" was a bit Hitlerian about it, and that FSM still allows depiction of Nazi Swastikas on "supposedly historically accurate" war machinery. Hmmmm. I wonder if Fine Scale itself will allow that certain 69 Charger to be depicted with roof top in full view.

I've bought Scale Auto for many years and on their forum too..Fine Scale Modeler is good if you like tanks,planes and ships and belong to IPMS..They can stick their Fine Scale Modeler up their ying yang..I know Model Cars is in trouble and trying to get restarted but here and Spotlight is where it is at..

I was pretty sternly reprimanded by Jim Haught one time for merely posting my opinion in somebody else's thread. After that, I did more lurking than posting. I wonder how many others have done the same thing?

Edited by Bucky

1 minute ago, Bucky said:

I was fairly sternly reprimanded by Jim Haught one time for merely posting my opinion in somebody else's thread. After that, I did more lurking than posting. I wonder how many others have done the same thing?

I once introduced myself to him at a model car event and he said he fully knew who I was. I must have rankled his feathers in the forum over the 69 Charger affair.

On 10/2/2020 at 10:34 PM, Plowboy said:

I really didn’t think about it so I am a little surprised. I remember when you told haught. I will not say how I feel about him but it’s not real alive over there like it once was.  I just don’t see Fine Scale Modeler picking up the SAE subscribers....

I didn’t buy that magazine and left that forum over him a long time ago. IIRC, what pushed me over the edge was when he attacked somebody else for converting a Revell Civic SI kit to RWD because he felt it ruined Civics winter use by doing so??

Edited by Joe Handley