Model Cars Magazine Forum

What was the worst movie you saw at the theater??

slusher

The Russia House. Saw it back in 1990 in the theater with my high school buddies. Thought Sean Connery and Michelle Phifer would be good, kinda like a James Bond type plot. So bad, I think it's the only movie I ever walked out of. Maybe if I saw it today, maybe.

Jeff 

54 minutes ago, stinkybritches said:

It's a tie between the DiCaprio version of The Great Gatsby, and Hail, Caesar! I was so disappointed with Hail, Caesar! because I always have high expectations for a Coen brothers movie and this was so boring. 

I'll second that!

I love the Coen brothers, and I can't remember a single one of their movies that I've seen that I didn't find exceptional..........Except for Hail, Caesar!

Steve

My worst was Catch 22 from 1970.  The previews made it look good, but I found it plain gross.

Teenagers from Outer Space is right up there.  We really enjoyed it as 10-year-olds, but when I saw it as an adult, I was apalled at the acting and effects.

Ed Wood was a visionary.  His dream was to be a film maker.  He wasn't going to let a small detail like no talent get in the way.

I've never walked out of a movie I've paid to see (yet); the closest I came was for John Landis's first film, Schlock! aka Banana Monster. Saw it in a nearly empty theater as a double feature with Attack of the Killer Tomatoes (way better). Funny thing was, I saw it again in a theater full of people and everybody was laughing their heads off - including me. Herd mentality? ONE funny bit: where Schlockthropus almost gets run down by a '61 Falcon, and he trashes it - perfect Laurel and Hardy tribute.

Two more come to mind: Eyes Wide Shut - my friend was getting pissed off at me because I was laughing at the ridiculousness of all the hooded, robed shenanigans - I kept thinking about the secret society having a bunch of seamstresses busy with the costumes: "Darn it, Marge, I have to let the judge's robe out again!" "Hey Myrtle, at least we don't have laundry detail this time - yecch!"

Second: The Adventures of Hercules, the second Lou Ferrigno version. Again with the unintended laughter; again I was pissing off the friends I came with; this time it was in a magnificent old movie palace in Mexico City. It was just so incongruous to see cheapo junk on the screen in that beautiful place - all marble lobby/stairways and neoclassical designs that would have been right at home in New York or Hollywood. Wish I could remember the name of it.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Chaplin (at the time) was the worst movie I saw. I was only 14 at the time though. Me and my friend got in through the fire exit, we had no specific plan on what film we were going to see, we just decided to sneak in and watch whatever was showing that night. We went up a flight of stairs and snuck in from behind the screen, I remember staying low cos we weren't sure if our shadows would show through, Lol. We took a seat on some props behind the screen and watched the first half hour (back to front!) before we were board out of our minds and left the same way we came in! xD I've seen Chaplin since (the right way around) and it's a pretty good movie. A couple days later we did the same thing and watched "A few Good Men" and watched the whole film, but we managed to sneak up the aisle to get a seat that time.

9 hours ago, stinkybritches said:

It's a tie between the DiCaprio version of The Great Gatsby, and Hail, Caesar! I was so disappointed with Hail, Caesar! because I always have high expectations for a Coen brothers movie and this was so boring. 

DiCaprio does so many of those "period" movies, where period wardrobe is necessary.  He ends up looking like one of those little kids who found a trunk full of old clothes in grandma's attic.

12 hours ago, alexis said:

I dis walk out of the Burt Reynolds/ Dolly Parton Picture, "Best Little Whorehouse in Texas".

I foolishly thought, "It's Got Burt AND Dolly! How bad can it be?" 35 minutes later I got up and walked out.........

The main purpose of Burt Reynolds' later films (Smokey & The Bandit on) was to entertain Reynolds, Hal Needham, and their circle of friends during the making of the film.  Entertaining the people who watched them was only a secondary concern.

15 hours ago, alexis said:

I dis walk out of the Burt Reynolds/ Dolly Parton Picture, "Best Little Whorehouse in Texas".

I foolishly thought, "It's Got Burt AND Dolly! How bad can it be?" 35 minutes later I got up and walked out.........

That movie was bad but Dolly looked good but I couldn’t watch much of it on tv..

A black and white movie named " Devil Girl From Mars"............Made I think way back in the 50's.       Absolutely Dire!

There was another named 'Earth Versus The Flying Saucers".        Curled up laughing when the aliens suits were described as 'Solidified Electricity"

A great movie was the original "Day the Earth Stood Still" with Michael Rennie playing the lead role.   The new version with Keanu Reeves paled by comparison despite 50 years developments in special effects and CGI. Just shows that it is not always desirable to deviate away from the original movie story line.

A couple of years ago my wife dragged me to a movie against my better judgement.  It stunk so bad she wanted to leave.. but I made her stay though the end as punishment !

Funny thing.. I asked her today and while we remember the event, neither of us can remember the movie!  Probably a good thing. 

5 hours ago, DonW said:

For the first half hour of 'From Dusk Till Dawn' my wife and I thought this was the worst we had seen - then the penny dropped and we got the message that it was a spoof, and ended up really enjoying it!

That’s odd,I thought the beginning of the movie was great.Saw it with a friend.Then bam,the vampires came out after Selma Hayek’s very sexy dance..Shortly after that point, we walked out.That was the only time I ever walked out on a movie.

18 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

That’s odd,I thought the beginning of the movie was great.Saw it with a friend.Then bam,the vampires came out after Selma Hayek’s very sexy dance..Shortly after that point, we walked out.That was the only time I ever walked out on a movie.

So between us we liked all of it and none of it!?