Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some crazy bidding on MPC One Arm Bandit!

5 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

More power to 'em.

But don't be surprised if it gets re-listed a THIRD time, due to another non-payment!

Some bidders just end up being "tire kickers"

If that's the case that stinks for the seller - he can't even leave the non-payer negative feedback!

BTW, does anybody know what happened with the molds for this kit?

Interesting the high bidder on the first auction has good feedback....normally they seem to bid on vintage kits. The kit may be worth it if the box was in better shape. As it is, I don't really seeing that box being that displayable. Also note that someone with a feedback of 1 but having bid on 121 auctions seems like someone who gets a thrill running up an auction.

5 minutes ago, iBorg said:

Interesting the high bidder on the first auction has good feedback....normally they seem to bid on vintage kits. The kit may be worth it if the box was in better shape. As it is, I don't really seeing that box being that displayable. Also note that someone with a feedback of 1 but having bid on 121 auctions seems like someone who gets a thrill running up an auction.

While not all that different, they placed 127 bids on 36 auction listing,  Like many who do not snipe, this bidder places multiple increment bids on the same auction. 

I miss the days when eBay was more open about allowing members to look at other member's histories.

6 hours ago, misterNNL said:

Gotta be quite rare. Never new it even existed till right now.

It is nowadays, but when I was a kid (in the late '70s) I built one of them, and they were plentiful.   I think I got it at Woolworth.  Around the same time I also built the Creepy-T.  Id di manage to score couple of these few years back for much more affordable price. One of them even has a box in decent condition.

The chassis in that kit looks like it too dates back to the King T...wonder if Round 2 could piece this one back together.

It took me a few months back in 1999 to figure it out, but you only need to be high bidder at the end.  These four-days-to-go whizzing matches are unproductive.  Decide what it is worth to you, if it is still in your range in the last few minutes then throw in a bid.

I've got to wonder if one of the bidders throwing in incremental bids isn't a proxy for the seller, and the relisting isn't due to the proxy coming out on top last time around.  Some stuff has been selling extremely high lately, but the relisting doesn't pass the smell test...

On 3/5/2021 at 8:09 AM, Mark said:

It took me a few months back in 1999 to figure it out, but you only need to be high bidder at the end.  These four-days-to-go whizzing matches are unproductive.  Decide what it is worth to you, if it is still in your range in the last few minutes then throw in a bid.

Yup, "sniping".  Have been doing that almost as long as you have.  "Nickel and diming" is counterproductive for buyers, and very desired by the seller.  Sniping does not  guarantee your win.  The high bidder who place the bid earlier, could have bid quite a bit higher amount than what shows as the high bid.  That is eBay doing automatic "proxy bidding".  When you snipe with what you decided to be your highest amount, but the last bidder had a (hidden) higher amount, eBay "outsinpes" you and the other person wins.

1 hour ago, Kromolly said:

Um... what am I missing here?  $640?  I mean, it's rare and nostalgic

You got it, plus "sealed" means the owner never has to deal with possible melted clear parts, missing parts, etc. These rarely become available, so the market sets the price.

$640 is what, a few cases of dupe modern kits? 2 MFH kits? A Pocher Lambo or 911? Lots of guilty parties here. I’ve looked for one for a long time. Too old to build it at this point. Glad they have the money to buy it. Doesn’t make them a sucker. 

And it is getting even more interesting.  It appears that the same kit has been listed for the 3rd time.  At least I assume it is the same kit becuase it has the same photos of a dented box and the copy in the listing seems the same.

The fist 2 auctions ended with the same price, but different buyers.  I guess we'll have to wait and see how this one ends . . .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265086559477

And this time there's another one of these kits offered for sale, by another seller.  The box looks to be in better shape than the one I have been discussing here.  Up to $245 already.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203299762418

51 minutes ago, peteski said:

And it is getting even more interesting.  It appears that the same kit has been listed for the 3rd time.  At least I assume it is the same kit becuase it has the same photos of a dented box and the copy in the listing seems the same.

The fist 2 auctions ended with the same price, but different buyers.  I guess we'll have to wait and see how this one ends . . .

And this time there's another one of these kits offered for sale, by another seller.  The box looks to be in better shape than the one I have been discussing here.  Up to $245 already.

Hmmm. That could indicate "proxy" bidders who are working with the seller, bidding it up, and going too far.

4 hours ago, peteski said:

Shenanigans!  Someone is playing games with the bidding... yes, proxy bidders driving the price up.  Let's hope they don't succeed.  Prospective buyers should walk away from this disingenuous behavior.