Model Cars Magazine Forum

worst commercials - i have to mute the tv

youpey

30 minutes ago, mchook said:

1877 kars4kids

This one KILLS ME! If you haven't seen it DON'T WATCH IT, it will be stuck in your head all day.

Absolutely!  I hate that one! I have to turn the radio off when it comes on in the car!  It’s one of those ear worms!

3 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Absolutely!  I hate that one! I have to turn the radio off when it comes on in the car!  It’s one of those ear worms!

Plus . . . I'm sorry, but they are exploiting those kids to get sympathy donations.  I DO NOT like that.

I have not watched a commercial in the last 30 years. DVR everything I watch and fast forward them. And before DVR when I had basic cable with 4 VHS tape decks just for that reason, never to see a commercial ever.  

So I guess all commercials are the worst to me......LOL They are a waste of my time. 

I know a lot of people don't like paying for subscriptions, but youtube premium is literally a godsend to me. Ten bucks a month and I can watch all the videos I want with absolutely no commercials. And the Liberty Mutual commercials make me want to reach through the screen and choke the life out of both of them.

On 6/4/2021 at 2:57 PM, webestang said:

I have not watched a commercial in the last 30 years. DVR everything I watch and fast forward them. And before DVR when I had basic cable with 4 VHS tape decks just for that reason, never to see a commercial ever.  

So I guess all commercials are the worst to me......LOL They are a waste of my time. 

Yup thank the lord for DVR.Just fast forward right through the commercials.

1 hour ago, NYLIBUD said:

Safe lite glass repair,Safe lite repair safelite kill me.Lol🤢🤮

Rip off company...  windshield for my Hyundai   $450 plus disposal and consumables  (that's a blank check there!) 

Local company who came to my house...  $250

On 5/31/2021 at 6:50 AM, NOBLNG said:

This seems to be mostly on the US channels. It’s like the drug companies want you to decide what drugs you should be on and then convince your doctor that you need them.

Years ago, my 2 year old son made us laugh hard when he said to his pediatrician, "Ask your doctor if Boniva is right for you!"

Ice T annoys me when he says "Car Shield saves me money on car repairs". With the amount of money you have 'T', you should be able to afford to fix it yourself. Or maybe you could afford to buy better cars!

I feel a bit aprehensive about those life insurance commercials with the end-of-their-career actors on them. Seems like whoever their spokesperson is, invariably passes on soon after and the company simply moves on to their next victim.

14 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Ice T annoys me when he says "Car Shield saves me money on car repairs". With the amount of money you have 'T', you should be able to afford to fix it yourself. Or maybe you could afford to buy better cars!

I seriously wonder how that works when you actually need work done!  Many years ago my  car pool mate had a third party warranty like that.. when he needed his alternator replaced, he couldn’t find any shop that would work with it!

36 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I seriously wonder how that works when you actually need work done!  Many years ago my  car pool mate had a third party warranty like that.. when he needed his alternator replaced, he couldn’t find any shop that would work with it!

It depends entirely on the company and the circumstances.

Years ago (mid 1980s) I owned a full-service garage that worked with some of them.

One replaced the gearbox in a Porsche 924 for a pretty hefty price (back then) with zero squawk.

Same company bought a clutch in a Ferrari 328 a few years later.

But they refused a claim on a Mondial after the owner, drunk, backed it...hard...into a parking-lot sleeper and cracked the transaxle housing.

As with many things, doing reasonable due-diligence research will sort out the scams.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

5 hours ago, Xingu said:

I think a lot of the commercials are funny and clever........then they show it to me 50 times a day and it gets old really fast.

That's true.Sometimes they play the same commercial more than once during the same break!  Crazy!  This probably happens because computer picks which ones to play, when in the past they were likely arranged by humans. Back in the day, there were fewer commercials per hour, and much wider selection was shown.

Edited by peteski

4 hours ago, Xingu said:

I think a lot of the commercials are funny and clever........then they show it to me 50 times a day and it gets old really fast.

True,.  some are really lame from the start and I think they could be more creative then that..

On 6/2/2021 at 11:16 AM, youpey said:

i actually saw one that made me chuckle for a second. it was for car insurance. i think farmers. 

it said if you want savings, just phone it it. and it showed someone painting their house and he said something like. "im phoning it in", and then proceeded to just throw the paint straight from the bucket into the door. 

i rarely laugh at things on the tv anymore, but i thought that was good. i rewind the commercial and watched it again, but it wasnt as funny the second time. im sure after i have seen it 900 times, i will hate it like the rest

Saw that one today for the first time. To me it looked like a ripoff of the old Geico "So simple even a caveman could do it." The caveman was funnier. 

"With an ingredient originally found in jellyfish! Healthier brain, better life!”  Prevagen and all other "brain supplement" commercials, with smug and annoying old geezers spouting off about brain science.  (Full Disclosure:  I'm an old geezer myself.)

That stuff is taken orally, just like the sandwich you had for lunch.  It travels the same path as that sandwich, and most likely never gets anywhere near your brain.

It's made of compressed fish oil and calcium, stuff you can buy a lot cheaper without the trade name...and aggravating TV commercials...attached to it.  And it is expensive.  Just out of curiosity, I checked the price of Prevagen in pharmacies and almost had a heart attack.

For some fun, do a search on "Prevagen" and "FDA."  The Food & Drug Administration has been chasing Prevagen and similar companies for years over deceptive advertising. 

But Prevagen is only one example of "miracle cure" quackery in TV advertising that irritates me.  These are the modern version of Dr. Feelgood's Medicine Show back in the 19th century.  Except that in the days before we had an FDA, Dr. Feelgood's medicines contained opium and cocaine.  They did make the patient feel better, at least temporarily.  

58 minutes ago, youpey said:

i hate the folgers covid work from home commercials. the one with the annoying kid or the guy not wearing pants. so dumb

Hopefully the covid-based ads will be dying a quick, unlamented death soon.