Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1959 Chrysler Imperial: Finished

David G.

Hello Everybody!

This is my version of AMT's 1959 Chrysler Imperial.

Imperial_00.jpg.5e75ee9bf696e08284c9cf0b4cacd590.jpg

This kit is over sixty years old and is in surprisingly good shape for its age.  It's a rather simple kit having a chassis plate, body, and a rather shallow interior. The dashboard and steering wheel are nicely detailed. The inclusion of a hard-top landau roof and boot provide the option of building it as a hard top or top-down convertible. There is no up-top for the convertible. There are, however two sprues (one of then plated) of extra customizing parts, most of which will go into my parts box for use on future projects.

The colors I used are Tamiya TS-42 Light Gunmetal and Tamiya TS-40 Metallic Black straight from the can. For those who may be interested in all the gory details of my build process, here is a link to the build thread.

One of the bigger challenges with this kit was getting the grille / bumper assembly to fit up flush against the hood in the middle section. Accomplishing this required a good bit of file work.

Imperial_59.jpg.d3e69e4caf2c7db258cb301b364bbec2.jpg

The glass canopy doesn't have the greatest fit but from most angles it looks just fine. This shot also shows the gold tint I put on the crowns above the headlights.

Imperial_56.jpg.1ce597671d0419c06020fd190398a579.jpg

A profile that looks like 70 miles per hour even when it's sitting still.

Imperial_57.jpg.8319ab90f2e317cac908f4f8bbbe130c.jpg

Custom clamshell exhaust tips, continental bulge, a subtle gold tint on the eagle crest and tail fins!  What's not to like? I also corrected the rear bumper by adding the joining seam between the rear and side portions of the bumper.

Imperial_58.jpg.c145077fd4bf3a6249e952b27181f747.jpg

"LND YAHT" Yup, that says it all.

Imperial_60.thumb.jpg.49a8aaf7a592fea662e77c21361f78f5.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment.

David G.

• Like 2

Really enjoyed following along as this came together. Turned out excellent! I love how certain photos almost look like the old colorized illustrations or black and white photos from the dealer brochures. Be proud of this one!

21 hours ago, Zippi said:

Well that's a good looking version of the 1959 Chrysler Imperial Dave.  Nice color and detail work.

Thank you Bob, glad you like it.

21 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi David!

Great build, bravo! 

The licence plate says it all! And to say that I saw those mastodons roam my city streets back then. Gas was cheap...

CT 

Thank you Claude. I used to drive an old mastodon myself until I sold it to a man in Russia in 2014. Now I drive a Dodge Charger. Not a mastodon but still a full sized car.

20141020_102641_800.jpg.c187c628cfb1c7f28481cb2584bfa355.jpg

20 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Looks great. Have this in the works myself.

Thank you Lee, I hope to see it soon.

19 hours ago, espo said:

Turned out beautifully. I enjoyed watching you over come the problems of the fit and finish of this build. Great looking paint finish and cleanly detailed chrome and trim. 

Thank you David. I know the quality of your work and your comment means a lot to me.

17 hours ago, grodudulle77 said:

Nice build David !! 👍😀

Thank you Philippe.

17 hours ago, oldrevellfan said:

Nice car ! 👍

Great atention to detail 👏

Thanks Gilles, I appreciate that.

16 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Very nice!

Thank you Larry.

16 hours ago, Speedpro said:

That's some serious heavy metal right there! You did a great job. Very clean work.

Thank you for your kind comment Paul.

8 hours ago, Geno said:

Whoa..............that baby rocks. Absolutely amazing build David.

Thanks Gene, I'm glad to know you like it.

5 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Really enjoyed following along as this came together. Turned out excellent! I love how certain photos almost look like the old colorized illustrations or black and white photos from the dealer brochures. Be proud of this one!

Thank you Rusty, I'm quite pleased with the way it turned out. And thanks again for the tip on fitting the grille assembly, I don't know if I'd have worked that one out on my own.

2 hours ago, 1959scudetto said:

Very nice build, David !

Thank you Helmut, most kind of you to say so.

28 minutes ago, ChrisR said:

Looks great!!

Thank you Chris.

Kindest Regards to All,

David G.

21 hours ago, happy grumpy said:

Excellent build, color, execution, and photography.I love that era where design was everything.

Thank you Mario, I appreciate your kind comment.

14 hours ago, Dominik said:

as i trashed mine (kidding - i sold it while i can't get my mood on it to finish), i know about the quality of the kit.

i like your finished one! very nice, well done!

Yes, this kit certainly has its challenges but in the end it was worth the trouble. I'm glad to know that you like the way mine came out, thanks Dominik.

13 hours ago, Kah puts said:

Absolutely gorgeous. 

Thank you Glen.

David G.

In the early 80’s One of the first real cars I ever painted was a car just like your build, only it was white, original  paint was lacquer checked , the hood, roof and trunk had to be stripped to bare metal, lot of work for a twenty year old kid, I never want to see that car again ! , but I could look at your build all day ! Nice job !!