Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ok guys and dolls, I have lost my mojo. Since Vegas , I have not even had interest in building. What happened???? Been setting up motorcycles, building guns, hot rods. Everything else but building models. Does this happen to other builders? What do you do to get it back? 

I read a book once on creative ‘writer’s block’.  It suggested ‘zooming out’ from your normal area of interest and finding other sources of inspiration aside from what normally grabs your attention.  But, I think, the key there isn’t to just (in the case of overcoming modeller’s block) go build a tuner or a tank or a plane if that doesn’t interest you, but explore some other other areas to find something that DOES get the juices pumping again.  Fall down a rabbit hole of vintage hot rod magazines, or racecars, or look at a bunch of interior pictures or Google weird tubular frames or door handles or interesting rare headlights - anything!

One of my favorite books for inspiring creativity, even though it’s focused maybe more at artists and writers and musicians, is this one (which you can read for free at this link):

https://kingauthor.net/books/Austin Kleon/Steal Like An Artist/Steal Like An Artist - Austin Kleon.pdf

It has a bunch of cool ideas and techniques that we can use ourselves to inspire interesting builds, and I absolutely recommend spending a half hour or so going through it and pondering what tricks might work to light your creative fire.  

5KWyESHHt6QAAAAC.gif.9102eaef0ea1a92b5e314beafb9fdf07.gif

vyrs-PGxKJ0AAAAd.gif.3d2a8573deae3b688fe8ac12a253f3dd.gif

VHTZuJLGB28AAAAd.gif.6a80a9ff3eff66c523938a634470c492.gif

Seriously, If you need a break, take a break. This is just a hobby, don't force yourself. 

Many times I get inspired by this forum, online searches, movies, daily life. You just never know where an idea will come from.

Yeah, Baby!!!

Edited by Oldcarfan27

I have totally quit at least 3 times. Each time I have returned to building. For me it's when I can tune out the world and just  get into a building zone. You may see a car at a car show or on tv or a movie and Bam I need to build that or it may just trigger an idea and you will be back in the thick of it !

8 hours ago, slusher said:

I have finished one since my mother died a year ago. I have 3 to finish and two figures to paint. I have been going back and working slow. The desire is coming back..

Thank you guys. Carl, a good friend just passed. Went to his funeral last week. That really wiped me out and my modeling. Been reading your books and that has helped!  Going on a endurance run on motorcycles today. Rainy, maybe snow but going anyway. Trying to pull my head out. Thanks all. By the way, I really like Austin Powers. 

In May 2020 I finally bought the 1:1 "project car" I always wanted- a 1995 Miata with good paint and bones but some mechanical and cosmetic needs. A year and change of reupholstering, tracking down oil leaks and rough idle issues and it needs nothing (for the time being, anyway, except for a new top. And maybe that Xida coilover suspension. Mmm, coilovers. Wait, what was I saying? Anyway... ) so I was able to return to spending time at the bench. Taking some time away from the hobby often leads to coming back stronger and with renewed focus and new ideas. Building is something that should be done out of desire and not a sense of obligation so don't worry about being in a slump. You'll get back to the bench eventually. 

• Like 1

At least for me, the prospect of working on an unusual project is what keeps me interested.

Since I began building basically nothing except vintage kits some years ago, my interest has remained high.

If I had to build nothing but modern kits, I would have gotten bored and quit years ago.

I went on a ten year hiatus back in the 90s for this very reason.

Steve

• Thanks 1

I started building again about 11 years ago when I retired. But after a couple of years I fell out of it because models were not the same as when I was a kid. Then I found this forum and that got me going again. I've learned a lot from this forum and even now. When I make a painting mess. I still get advice and support. Keeps me going. Thank you guys and gals. 🙂

• 4 weeks later...

this time I am stuck, after finishing a truck and then not being able to go to the model show last weekend.  So I have been looking at this forum for hours this past week, and looking at the new contest car s annual.  But nothing is tripping the trigger.  It is still nice enough outside - kinda - to be doing outside work,, but the early dark evenings still doesn't have me going.  Building a new spray room in my garage, but the modelling has been not happening.  sigh. 

4 hours ago, steveracer said:

this time I am stuck, after finishing a truck and then not being able to go to the model show last weekend.  So I have been looking at this forum for hours this past week, and looking at the new contest car s annual.  But nothing is tripping the trigger.  It is still nice enough outside - kinda - to be doing outside work,, but the early dark evenings still doesn't have me going.  Building a new spray room in my garage, but the modelling has been not happening.  sigh. 

I find that going online and typing in a general topic (junkyards, wrecked muscle cars, abandoned Ferraris, built plastic model cars, etc.) Whatever sounds interesting but not specific. Just peruse for a while, follow where the interest takes you and before you know it, ideas start to form.

In fact, sometimes I have too many ideas and not enough time. I like to download pictures of cars I like and jot down notes of cars I'd like to build. That way, when I am in a dry spell, I'll go back to my references and renew ideas I may have forgotten. 

Try sites like IMCDB (Internet movie car data base), Junkyard Life, HAMB, Cars in Barns, Curbside Classics, Barnfinds.com

Edited by Oldcarfan27

• 3 weeks later...

Patrick, these are good tips.  I just have so much other things going on right now that it is confusing where to put my time, so I procrastinate.  On the matter of getting back to modeling, I started a "background" of a garage (takes up a lot of space on the bench and had to move a lot of stuff to work on it!) so that I can take nice photos of my models.  The foundation of that is now done and details can come later, but now with the cleaner bench, I organized the stuff at the same time, and ready to get back to it.  The weather is going to pot and that helps get the mojo back as well.  I will post up the background in some other threads and move forward!

One thing that has affected me is trying to decide what to build next. I have so many choices that it's tough it was much easier when I didn't have as much stuff.  I get started on one then an ideal pops into my head and I start another. 

Edited by Scott8950

Just happened across this thread and you guy's have some interesting thoughts.   I  lately feel I have lost my "mo-jo" and it's got me a bit discouraged. The last two builds that I'm still in process of have issues and I'm just not enjoying the one I'm doing along with fighting the issues of the other two.  But, it's just not in my nature to give up, so I just keep on plodding away.....if I tried to quit they would just keeo on pulling me back in😂😂

On 12/7/2021 at 1:51 PM, Scott8950 said:

One thing that has affected me is trying to decide what to build next. I have so many choices that it's tough it was much easier when I didn't have as much stuff.  I get started on one then an ideal pops into my head and I start another. 

This. Right. Here. ^^^^

I had about 6 kits that I had started(2-3 years ago) and then BAM! I just lost all motivation. I was still buying kits and accessories and stuff, but I’d just open the box and look at it then put it away. 

There was a topic on the CBP section about “Replica “ builds and I jumped right into it( start another project, like I need anymore going) next thing I know I’ve not only completed my replica build but I have also finished 3 of my started projects, all in less than a couple of months. Once I get all of my projects done I’ve decided I’m going to try and concentrate on ONE build at a time from now on(WOW!, can’t believe I said that with a straight face). Yeah my motivation comes and goes. But it always comes back.