Model Cars Magazine Forum

Return of the 1/25 MPC '68 Coronet/Super Bee RT Convertible...

1 hour ago, SteveG said:

Yes, the Cragar G/T wheels are in there with just about everything else that was in the original '68 annual version plus even a few tidbits from the '69 kit were tossed in too if I'm not mistaken.   

-Steve

Excellent news. Thanks Steve.

2 hours ago, SteveG said:

Yes, the Cragar G/T wheels are in there with just about everything else that was in the original '68 annual version plus even a few tidbits from the '69 kit were tossed in too if I'm not mistaken.   

-Steve

Will this rendition have the original boot cover from the MPC kit, or the boot cover from the AMT '69 GTX convertible. In rebuilding an original '68 Coronet, I noticed that the boot cover is not the same as the GTX, which seems to be more correct. Either way, it won't stop me from picking up a couple of the '68 Coronet kits.

Steve G., I'm hoping you might be able to shed some light on the chassis aspects of this new, upcoming, Coronet kit. I understand that the exhaust and rear suspension will be separate pieces, but why is it being referred to as a "Promo-style" chassis?

I have a few original MPC convertibles issues. And I think just one hardtop builder. Same goes for the 69 Coronets

Odds are I will not get this new  vert. But if they do a hardtop . I will get a few of them for sure

2 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Cragar G/T's !!!!!!!! YES !!! Those'll find their way onto one of my pending Revell Dart kits !!!!!!!!!! 

I wonder if the @StevenGuthmiller resin interiors (his master/scratch build/modified Charger) will be issued again? 

Any plans for a phantom 1968 Super Bee convertible, @Sport Suburban

Is Ed Fluck not offering them right now?

Something tells me that if this kit is successful, (which I’m certain it will be) he will begin casting them again, if he is not at this time.

Steve

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mark said:

The "fill in the back side" treatment can also be used in removing molded-in exhaust detail (the Coronet kit will not need that with its separate exhaust parts).  Most builders will just swap out the entire chassis instead of doing this, as often a newer kit can be found with better detail.  But I remember the old CAR MODEL magazine articles where this was done, and I can now do this in cases where I couldn't back then, so...

We’ll, I still have a few original Coronet hoods, as well as some Charger hoods with the same problems, so I’ll keep this in the pocket. Thanks again! 

8 hours ago, SteveG said:

-Steve

Aww man…Round 2- take my money!!!    

I think the retro clone route was the way to go- newer tools just don’t have the cool optional parts (and nostalgia value) that the old annuals have. I saw this with the Olds Cutlasses & Nova wagons and REALLY hoped this would be the route they would take with a ‘68 Coronet! 

Those thinking "why didn't they use the existing Road Runner underbody" should probably wait for the new kit along with the rest of us.  The Road Runner ain't perfect either.  It's designed around tires that are way larger and wider than original equipment.  Look at brochures, original ads, period road tests, and correctly restored 1:1 cars, you'll see tires that look too small.  Try to put that size tire on the kit, and unless you cheat the front spindles and rear axle to move everything out a bit, the narrower tires will be too far inside the fenders to look right.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I haven't check on availability -- I thought that they'd sold out. 

As long as he still has usable molds, you should still be able to get them.

I really don't know the status though.

I haven't talked to Ed in some time.

Maybe Steve G can shed some light on the interior status of the upcoming Round 2 kit.

The photos look as if the interior may have a little more detail than my original MPC kit had.

By the way, I just returned from the 24th annual NNL North show in Bloomington MN this afternoon, where my '68 Hemi Coronet R/T received one of the "peoples choice" top 10 awards.

Not terrible considering that there were 327 models displayed in this years show! :)

I suppose that I had better show it off now before they start popping up everywhere! :D

image.jpeg.8252e2f2aa75ab1931a689e5f598c89a.jpeg

image.jpeg.0a82d993a014db029fddf8375ee78942.jpeg

image.jpeg.3a2b2c040a74b825c04c7a3b9785eb64.jpeg

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Like 5

36 minutes ago, Mark said:

Those thinking "why didn't they use the existing Road Runner underbody" should probably wait for the new kit along with the rest of us.  The Road Runner ain't perfect either.  It's designed around tires that are way larger and wider than original equipment.  Look at brochures, original ads, period road tests, and correctly restored 1:1 cars, you'll see tires that look too small.  Try to put that size tire on the kit, and unless you cheat the front spindles and rear axle to move everything out a bit, the narrower tires will be too far inside the fenders to look right.  

Yeah, I ran into that issue with my '69 GTX project. Even with wider tires in the rear, I still had to make the rearend wider. That was a first for me.

5 hours ago, '70 Grande said:

Steve G., I'm hoping you might be able to shed some light on the chassis aspects of this new, upcoming, Coronet kit. I understand that the exhaust and rear suspension will be separate pieces, but why is it being referred to as a "Promo-style" chassis?

Not Steve, but based on what the annual kits came with, I’d call it an “annual-style wire axle chassis”. 

In the case of the annual Coronet kits from ‘68-‘70, they used wire axles front and rear with hole-in-the-engine-block”. 

The promos used essentially the same chassis, but with an insert representing the lower engine, and larger diameter axles with wheels that did not have separate backs, but instead had the axle receiver cast as part of the wheel. 

Some old AMT annual kits included the corresponding lower engine insert (‘70–‘71 Thunderbird, maybe others?), but to my knowledge, none of the MPC kits ever did. It would be neat if Round 2 included a lower engine insert for this kit, as I think it was the same piece used in the MPC Charger promos, too.

And maybe they will do plastic stubs for the front axles instead of a hole in the block? There are benefits and drawbacks to both the front wire axle (hole in block, for one), as well as plastic axle pins (front wheels sag). 

I’m coming around to like “wire axle” builds - not everything I build has to have a super detailed chassis anymore. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mark said:

Good point, cuz yes...do found that the tires included were too big on those kits. remember buying resin redlines which were based off mpc tires to replace these.

3 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

As long as he still has usable molds, you should still be able to get them.

I really don't know the status though.

I haven't talked to Ed in some time.

Maybe Steve G can shed some light on the interior status of the upcoming Round 2 kit.

The photos look as if the interior may have a little more detail than my original MPC kit had.

By the way, I just returned from the 24th annual NNL North show in Bloomington MN this afternoon, where my '68 Hemi Coronet R/T received one of the "peoples choice" top 10 awards.

Not terrible considering that there were 327 models displayed in this years show! :)

I suppose that I had better show it off now before they start popping up everywhere! :D

image.jpeg.8252e2f2aa75ab1931a689e5f598c89a.jpeg

image.jpeg.0a82d993a014db029fddf8375ee78942.jpeg

image.jpeg.3a2b2c040a74b825c04c7a3b9785eb64.jpeg

If Rod or I was there it would probably be the Winnipeg Model Car Club award winner too.

Steve

• Like 1

Here's some comments and details on the upcoming '68 Dodge Coronet kit.  

While Ertl era AMT B-body Mopar kits are highly detailed and jammed packed with separate parts, they just don't have the fun factor the original MPC kits did in my opinion.  

The highlights include a revised grille to better match the 1:1 and now features clear headlamp lenses.  The stock hood has also been redesigned to better match the 1:1 and the underside cut lines have been eliminated along with the unrealistic separate hood hinges. 

The interior has been revised to a platform style, with specific back seats and side trim panels for each version.  Location tabs and slots have been added for easy assembly. 

The engine block axle holes have been eliminated, the accessories are no longer chrome plated and the power steering pump is more realistic. The distributor cap is now a separate part. 

While the chassis is still the simplified MPC annual style, the front metal axle is been eliminated and plastic stub axles have been added.  There are no longer any large gaps in the wheel housings and the exhaust is now separated from the rear axle. 

The body shells have numerous detail improvements to better match the 1:1 including additional panel lines. 

I will do my best to provide some additional photos showing the improvements but keep in mind that you're looking at a work in progress 3D mockup and not actual test shots.   

-Steve

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

Some old AMT annual kits included the corresponding lower engine insert (‘70–‘71 Thunderbird, maybe others?), but to my knowledge, none of the MPC kits ever did. It would be neat if Round 2 included a lower engine insert for this kit, as I think it was the same piece used in the MPC Charger promos, too.

The MPC kits did have a lower engine/transmission insert. At least the '68 Impala and Chevy pickup did. I have both. On the Impala, the exhaust and lower rearend are a separate piece. The promo and the kit used the same chassis. The chassis actually looks decent with some detail painting. 

4 hours ago, SteveG said:

Here's some comments and details on the upcoming '68 Dodge Coronet kit.  

While Ertl era AMT B-body Mopar kits are highly detailed and jammed packed with separate parts, they just don't have the fun factor the original MPC kits did in my opinion.  

The highlights include a revised grille to better match the 1:1 and now features clear headlamp lenses.  The stock hood has also been redesigned to better match the 1:1 and the underside cut lines have been eliminated along with the unrealistic separate hood hinges. 

The interior has been revised to a platform style, with specific back seats and side trim panels for each version.  Location tabs and slots have been added for easy assembly. 

The engine block axle holes have been eliminated, the accessories are no longer chrome plated and the power steering pump is more realistic. The distributor cap is now a separate part. 

While the chassis is still the simplified MPC annual style, the front metal axle is been eliminated and plastic stub axles have been added.  There are no longer any large gaps in the wheel housings and the exhaust is now separated from the rear axle. 

The body shells have numerous detail improvements to better match the 1:1 including additional panel lines. 

I will do my best to provide some additional photos showing the improvements but keep in mind that you're looking at a work in progress 3D mockup and not actual test shots.   

-Steve

I like everything about this, but I think some of us might fight you on that "MPC kits have a fun factor" bit. 😜😜