Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT's "junk" '63 Corvette

roadhawg

I don't get on here as much as some, so I miss a lot of content. I saw a post from a week ago where the AMT 1963 Corvette was call "junk". Calling a kit "junk" is a bit harsh, I think, but I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion.....even if they're wrong. I built this one a little over a year ago and I never got the impression that it was junk at all. Challenging, maybe, but what fun is life if there are no challenges? 

This is built 100% OOB. No added details at all. The only things that were not in the box was the paint (Tamiya Pure White), the decal set (from Speedway Decals), and the BMF. I just threw it together as a test run for the 2021 annual 24 Hour Build. Could it be better? Well, yeah, of course........but it's far from junk! Thanks for looking. 

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

Edited by roadhawg
  • Like 7

Looks darn good. I built a 63 way back in the late 70s. Not sure if it is the same one of today. I bought another. Seeing yours makes me want to build it. 

Looks far from junk. Nice work.

Looks like a wonderful representation of a '63 Split -- GREAT WORK on that bad boy! Hard to beat white with red interior on just about any year 'Vette.

I hope that the member who posted the "Junk" thread sees your build, and hopefully they'll build themselves a sweet shelf kit.

Looks really great in white, as the saying goes, one man's trash is another man's treasure. You did a really good job on it and yes this kit can be challenging, but having build a few of these, there are way worse kits out there. What matters to me is the body shape, if it's good, the rest is just extra work to fix things. A challenging kit can be greatly rewarding, what you did with yours is a perfect example.