Model Cars Magazine Forum

'32 Ford 3-window coupe — late '50s rod

chepp

Here's something that might have been built in the late '50s. It was the time when a hopped-up Olds or a Caddy was the hot choice before the SBC became dominant for those wanting more power than they could get out of a flathead Ford. This one is more modest than one might expect with a rod having a chopped and filled top, a Halibrand quick change rear axle and a worked-over Cadillac engine. There's no custom paint, not much chrome or polished metal (even the Halibrand is painted black to not attract attention) and it still has the stock gas tank. The tank is not functional -- it might be useful to carry water to add weight, if needed. The real gas tank and battery would be in the trunk but are not modeled.

The paint is a mix of red enamel colors thinned with a "cool" lacquer thinner. The underside is a bit grimy as one might expect for a street driven rod that is a couple of years old as shown with its 1961 license plate. Normally it is street legal but here it is ready for a day at the drags with slicks on standard wheels replacing treaded tires on reversed rims similar to the fronts.

The model started with the Revell '32 Ford 5-window coupe kit but many of the modern rod parts were backdated or replaced with other pieces from a variety of sources. Some include:
Body (mastered by Dennis Lacy), firewall, filled grille shell, radiator, grille and seats from Drag City Casting.
Engine is the old Revell Cadillac 354 parts pack using that kit's B&M Hydro-Stick trans and carbs from Iceman Collection.
The rear axle and various details are from the Revell 22 Jr. kit.
Dzus fasteners holding the hood top on are Model Car Garage MCG-2074.
See the build thread — trakinscale.proboards.com/thread/19196/ford-window-coupe-late-50s?page=1 — to see how it went together and learn more about the origin of parts not mentioned here.

The mid-century modern styled photo background was inspired by 3D-printed breeze blocks made by Maple Leaf Modelworks that matched ones on my 1961-built childhood home in southern California.

Thanks to all who commented on my build thread -- you guys posted some really good advice that made it better.

IMG_4516sm.jpg

IMG_4510sm.jpg

IMG_4508sm.jpg

Edited by chepp
  • Like 8

I was never a fan of that grille, with the bar in the middle, but I have to say that this is the first time I see a rod that actually pulls it off and looks really good with it. I am also pretty sure this is a 3 window coupe, but this is probably a typo. I love the over all look of this hot rod. It has the right attitude. 

31 minutes ago, mrm said:

I was never a fan of that grille, with the bar in the middle, but I have to say that this is the first time I see a rod that actually pulls it off and looks really good with it. I am also pretty sure this is a 3 window coupe, but this is probably a typo. I love the over all look of this hot rod. It has the right attitude. 

The "winter grille." I too like the look of it here. Great looking '32.

Love it, love it, love it! This is my kind of hot rod and you did some great work. Never thought of using the stock fuel tank for adjusting weight transfer and the breeze blocks bring back memories from my childhood neighborhood. More like this please.

38 minutes ago, espo said:

This build really captures look of the era. The background in the picture also fits the time frame. The paint finishes look great, and the stance is perfect. Very realistic looking undercarriage. 

Well said and so true David.  Until I saw the underside I actually thought it was a 1:! car.

Great job Charley👌

6 hours ago, mrm said:

Thanks. I felt the same way about the grille, too. To me it would have been "too much" in chrome. This is a 3-window coupe resin body — I started with the Revell 5-window kit but didn't use the body.

9 hours ago, oldscool said:

Love it, love it, love it! This is my kind of hot rod and you did some great work. Never thought of using the stock fuel tank for adjusting weight transfer and the breeze blocks bring back memories from my childhood neighborhood. More like this please.

Thanks! Here's a pic of the whole photo diorama with two more of my models displayed.

IMG_4520sm.jpg

Edited by chepp

• 2 weeks later...