Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

8 minutes ago, Mark said:

A hobby shop that doesn't sell paint?  Not much of a hobby shop IMO.

Once upon a time, I was driving around in one of the suburbs on the side streets, and spotted a hobby shop.  I stopped in, the whole place was full of D&D stuff, not a model kit to be seen.  On my way out, the guy asked me if he could assist with anything.  I politely said no, I'm not into gaming, I walked in because it was a hobby shop.  He said "it is a hobby shop, if your hobby is gaming".  Not that I drove through there a lot, but the place wasn't around long.  He might have done better to call it a "gaming store" or something else...

This place was more of an rc place but they used to have a large aisle dedicated to models years ago. Admittedly its been probably 5 years since i had been there since they are so far away, but its really horrible now for anything but rc. No paint, only glue i saw was tube glue from testers. i mean, it got me out of the house a while but was a waste of time. At least I know now there aren't any good shops near me left

Around here, there are pretty much two hobby shops left.  One is 100% R/C; they went that way when their distributor opened a retail store a stone's throw from them.  Completely understandable given the circumstances, and they are thriving as R/C only.  The former distributor, turned retailer, closed up shop about three and a half years ago.  They never got into R/C, as a courtesy to the other shop.  They even referred walk-ins asking about R/C to the other store.

The other shop is gaming, model kits, and railroading.  No R/C as the owner is a friend of the family operating the R/C only store.  Since the latter decided not to carry model kits again after the guy up the street closed, both store operators have apparently decided not to step on each other's toes.  Both are doing fine, hopefully things will stay that way for them.

On 3/26/2021 at 10:58 AM, crazyjim said:

I ordered batteries for our land line phones on March 4.  The ebay shipper used DHL and the package has been sitting in Raleigh, NC since March 11.

Just scanning through this and came across this post.  I get my prescription meds through the mail.  Two of my prescriptions earlier this year were also shipped DHL and sat in Raleigh, NC, one for 22 days and the other for 16 days.  When I talked with my local USPS, since both were to be turned over to them for delivery, they verified there seemed to be a problem with that company and the Raleigh distribution center.  Going to get a bit political here - blame it all on COVID.

US postal service AGAIN! Got a tracking number at the beginning of the week that says package will be delivered Friday. Friday it says "out for delivery" but there's no package. Friday evening it says package will be delivered late; whatever that means.

This morning tracking says delivered. No package on porch and no package in the mail lockbox. Scary. Where is it?!

31 minutes ago, TonyK said:

US postal service AGAIN! Got a tracking number at the beginning of the week that says package will be delivered Friday. Friday it says "out for delivery" but there's no package. Friday evening it says package will be delivered late; whatever that means.

This morning tracking says delivered. No package on porch and no package in the mail lockbox. Scary. Where is it?!

that happened to me too. the post office ran a gps trace and told me which street the mailman was parked at when it was delivered, which is not where i live. they told me to go door to door asking if anyone got it.  i told them i wasnt doing that and they told me it wasnt insured, so there was nothing they would do.

about 3 or 4 days later it was at my door. not sure if the person who got it brought it, or they gave it to the mailman and they re-delivered. usps is absolute trash anymore. 95% of my packages from usps are at least 3 to 4 days late, and this was before covid hit. they are just stupid late now

Edited by youpey

3 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I’ve gotten notice that a package was delivered at 7:30 am. It showed up later that day. Apparently the route guy marked it delivered before going out!

I've had that happen more than once...with the USPS, I called the local PO and told them about it....the package showed up a couple hours later.   A couple times, the package had been delivered to a house w/ the same number but two streets over on a street with a very similar name.. 

Edited by Rob Hall

7 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

A couple times, the package had been delivered to a house w/ the same number but two streets over on a street with a very similar name.. 

Amazon contractors are the worst! We don’t buy from Amazon. Our houses sit 100 ft back from the street and we have curbside mail boxes. When we get a package larger than the box, USPS will walk up the driveway and put on front porch. Amazon often does too but occasionally we’ll see boxes at the curb at every other house, left by a lazy contractor. Someone could drive down the street and scoop these all up!

And yes, we’ve delivered packages to a correct recipient in our neighborhood!

Other than shipping delays, I've never had a problem w/ Amazon delivery..I get packages from them sometimes 4 times a week, they always put them by the front door.  With 3 cameras I can see them walking up the drive to the door.    Walmart delivery has been fine also, along w/ Instacart for my local groceries.     

I've had USPS, UPS and Fed Ex leave packages for other neighbors at my door...once got what was clearly an Apple laptop left at my door for a neighbor 5 houses down the street..walked it down.   The most annoying thing is even after over 4 years here, i still get mail addressed to the previous owners. 

USPS managed to "lose" a package that came thousands of miles, after it got put on the truck for delivery.  I got the "label must have fallen off" excuse. 

Even if a label falls off of a package or two, at the end of the day you've got one, or two, or three packages without labels, and an equal number of labels...shouldn't be rocket science to figure out which goes with which.  I wonder if it didn't just get "lost" into the trunk of someone's car...

Ham-handed photoshoppers who distort things way out of proportion intentionally...like they've never seen the "real" version and make up gibberish images they think will appeal to the aesthetically challenged and the stupid...of whom there is no shortage.

Morons in positions of authority and the even more moronic who put them there. EDIT: Don't label this as "political". It permeates every sector of society.

Willful ignorance, or just plain intellectual laziness.

Thing is...we're ALL born ignorant. But it's a choice to stay that way.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

We've had to post a large sign on the front door to NOT put packages right in front of the door as they have blocked the screen door from opening to retrieve it or gotten stepped on as we didn't know it was there when we stepped out the next morning.  Since then, most understood the sign but we've had USPS and UPS take that as put it at the side door so it gets rained on instead.  The front porch is 6x10....there's space!

You can't fix stupid....

11 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

after over 4 years here, i still get mail addressed to the previous owners

My mom died in 1999, dad in 2003. MIL died in 2012, her husband in 1999. Still get stuff addressed to all four of them. I think that J.C. Penney has finally figured out that my mom hasn't purchased anything from them for a while, so they have stopped sending stuff to her.

Ok this happened a few days ago.I totaled my Jeep Cherokee,that I bought from a friend who died from cancer about 8 years ago.I got cut off,jerked the wheel,and flew off the road destroying my Jeep😫😭😤😤😤.My friend and I built this Jeep.It’s beyond fixing,so do I part it out,or take what my insurance gives me?It was a 2000,but it was lifted 6.5 inches,and had top of the line suspension.Good bye Jeep.I will definitely be building another one,in my buddys memory.🤧

C02F1817-87EE-4D0B-8307-11B2B856E7E8.jpeg

72934A95-C4DE-4D73-9F4C-7AE804F3821D.jpeg

5D7FBCEA-CBC3-48F1-B32B-4A08DD9FBA4A.jpeg

245F1089-19E3-4366-B9DE-0F73CFFD97CD.jpeg

7102D11A-DA46-4A82-89F9-22BD5C9FD63A.jpeg

72E4D11B-7071-418E-AE5F-3DD885B5425D.jpeg

FDCC795A-09B6-41AA-9ADC-C9059D7A4494.jpeg

CB0F1A7B-9641-4DDC-8559-9FF2A06DB1E8.jpeg

2A9ABA22-9692-43F7-8A6D-A157B2881E93.jpeg

Edited by NYLIBUD

Might depend on just how bad the door and the door frame is jacked up. The front fender is an easy R & R and maybe fix the mounting points. The big damage appears to be suspension repair and maybe an inner fender. The $2000 replacement offer from your insurance company doesn't sound very realistic unless you have a very big deductible. 

No,I hear you man.I planned on fixing it.But had a bunch of friends,some mevhsnics,all said it’s trashed.😓 The rocker panel is crushed.The picture really don’t show the real amount of damage there is.The suspension isn’t my concern.I can always get a new lift kit.But its Just too much serious inner body damage.I know it’s a unibody,but as I said,just too much damage.And I’ll take what the ins co gives me.I do have full coverage,(collision),I really don’t have the room to part it out.What can I do?Hmmm..Have people come by and pick it like a chicken.Yea my neighbors would love that.I wish I had more room.Right now it’s just sitting dead on my driveway as you can see in the pictures.Oh and I forgot, to add,,the intake manifold on my 09 Crown Vic is cracked.Sure,of course,they’re plastic.And I also lost my wallet the other day somewhere.I ripped my house and cars apart...& nothin.😱😡🤬😳🤯.Omg when does it end???!!!!!

5 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

Oh and I forgot, to add,,the intake manifold on my 09 Crown Vic is cracked.Sure,of course,they’re plastic.And I also lost my wallet the other day somewhere.I ripped my house and cars apart...& nothin.😱😡🤬😳🤯.Omg when does it end???!!!!!

They say bad things happen in threes. So that's three for you--you should be okay for a while. Good luck! B)

Sorry to hear about the Jeep, but I'd think long and hard before just throwing it out, the good bodies and engines are getting hard to find, the junkyards here are loaded with rot boxes, maybe find a way to store it for a while, you have a ton of good parts there and you'd be surprised how much it cost now days to build even a simple one like that, if you do part it they bring decent money and have parted about a dozen when my sons and I used to wheel them

Edited by 440 Dakota

Ron, you should bargain with your insurance company. Did they come out to look at it or just read the book value for that year Jeep?

Back when my daughter totaled our cream puff Corolla we got from her grandfather, the insurance company offered me $1000!  I called and explained it was 43,000 mile garage kept car. I had a receipt for new tires. They came out to look and agreed to the $4500 I wanted.

Is the unibody tweaked at all?  If it’s just the fender, door axle, control arms and rocker, those are replaceable.  Before we discovered how far gone the floor was on my ‘98, Dad and I were talking about replacing the rotted out rockers with square or rectangular steel tubing and there are even kits that give you the brackets and such, you just need to provide the tubing and welding equipment or the cash for somebody else to do that work for you.

I just got "delivery" notification on an eBay item via USPS. Unfortunately the item was delivered in the same town in West Virginia it originated from.

And of course idiot eBay won't let me post a "didn't get my item" complaint because idiot USPS says it was delivered.

Morons everywhere.

AND...another item was mis-sent to a town 80 miles from me.

HOW HARD IS THIS STUFF, ANYWAY?

My insurance and FMLA people through work, my insurance is refusing to cover $80k of antibiotic treatments I had to have for the MRSA I had over the last 6 weeks because it isn't "preventative care" and had to get financial aid through the hospital to cover it then they sent me 16 invoices for what they did cover, though I need to look at them more closely now that I'm off work..........I think they sent me 4 different invoices in 4 batches or 4 of each invoice. 

Then there is the people I have to deal with for FMLA, they approved my claim for time off for when I was i the hospital and the week after before I could get approval to go back to work (call center, not exactly a problem there) and did so with no problem other than finally notifying my boss of that 3 weeks after I was informed of the approval.

Now for the intermittent claim from the daily hospital visits for the antibiotic kept asking for more and more documentation from the Dr's offices involved as well as me GP, who is not involved, in the treatments, but never said what was needed and from whom, then when I would, I've never get a clear answer plus when it was near the deadline for this, the claim rep was out of office until after the deadline and they have formally denied this claim, which puts my employment at risk.  The Dr's offices have since sent in what we "think" they may have needed to fully file the claim and I've sent an email to the rep that I plan on disputing their denial of it since there is nothing on their website or smart phone app to initiate one, plus I CC'd my boss in on it with her permission for good measure.

Edited by Joe Handley