Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

Every two weeks I drive from San Diego to Ventura and there is always several interesting cars to see, especially near the the 405 and 101 junction.  For those not familiar with the LA area, that is the area that Mulholland drive(dead man's curve) and Malibu canyon.  Today my pick was what looked like a very nicely maintained original late 60's Porsche 912.  Skinny tires and all.  There was also a Ferrari F12 Berlinetta but I was a bit busy driving and didn't get a photo.  One of these days I will need to get a GoPro hooked up in my 93 MR2 Turbo and drive up Mulholland drive just for kicks. I've never driven that legendary road.  Got to be a bucket list item for most gearheads. 

912.jpg

4 minutes ago, Matt Bacon said:

Slightly hard to believe in this Yorkshire neck of the woods, but a police flatbed recovery truck drove past me at the end of our road with a very immaculate red Cord Roadster on the back... I wonder what the story is there...

best,

M.

The cord that andy saunders customised (it was very rusty) was found in yorkshire too.

5 hours ago, Pete J. said:

Every two weeks I drive from San Diego to Ventura and there is always several interesting cars to see, especially near the the 405 and 101 junction.  For those not familiar with the LA area, that is the area that Mulholland drive(dead man's curve) and Malibu canyon.  Today my pick was what looked like a very nicely maintained original late 60's Porsche 912.  Skinny tires and all.  There was also a Ferrari F12 Berlinetta but I was a bit busy driving and didn't get a photo.  One of these days I will need to get a GoPro hooked up in my 93 MR2 Turbo and drive up Mulholland drive just for kicks. I've never driven that legendary road.  Got to be a bucket list item for most gearheads. 

912.jpg

Pete, you can borrow mine if you want. 

On 20/04/2019 at 12:28 AM, SfanGoch said:

Saw this in Greenpernt while hanging out with my son earlier today, a 1972 Austin Vanden Plas Princess 1300:

20190419_140635.thumb.jpg.7a7aa54f66d45961dced53d92774b5c9.jpg

20190419_140704.thumb.jpg.f45d8960d89ad99fef0c4bbd039a2b92.jpg

Yes that's a 1972, as the British plates are still on with the last letter 'K' on front and rear! I see a bit of rust under the front passenger door! My brother had a new Austin 1300 in the day, it fell apart over the next 5 years or so, completely rusted out! 

On 22/04/2019 at 8:29 PM, espo said:

Looks clean, and very basic. Never seen one before. What is it I'm looking at and how old is it ?  

The 1300 Dolomite is about 1980/1981. A neighbour here had a yellow one!

Edited by PatW

It was a good day on the road but did I take any pictures?  No

Pride of place and something I've never seen this side of Top Gear with Clarkson running it inside the BBC offices: A Peel P50 going about 60-65mph on US 101 north of Santa Rosa.  Of course it was being hauled in the back of a pickup at the time.

#2 a very clean, pumpkin orange early '70s Karmann Ghia in a Costco Parking lot.

#3 a pretty clean 1957 Olds Ninety Eight, white over gold, with just a few blems (cracked driver side window)

beng a    truck  builder and I   know  some one  on the  forum  was  going to  do a   Cat  big  rig  I  was onmy  way to  help a  friendof  mine  finish  up  and  engine  jobo  and on the  way  I  saw  a  Cat   truck .

Was going into town yesterday on a model buying excursion.  Approaching my exit I was passed by a blue Lamborghini and in hot pursuit was a red Camaro; shall we say both were well above the posted speed limit.  My next move was to dial *HP, that sort of behavior is not only stupid but extremely dangerous

Beautiful Spring weather today... saw a variety of interesting vehicles out and about this morning.

On the road saw 4 very clean examples of late GM V8 sports sedans---a black STS-V,  a silver 2nd gen CTS-V, a dark gray G8 GXP, and a blue Chevy SS...love 'em all.    Came out of a coffee shop, and saw a gorgeous bright blue Lexus LC...this coupe looks much better in person than in photos, IMO...the Lexus ragey mouth front end works on it, IMO.  

On the road heading home saw a brown w/ tan top '70s-80s Fiat 124 Spyder--haven't one of those in ages and a gray Nissan GT-R, also an orange w/ black hood Challenger Hellcat and a gorgeous dark red Grand Cherokee SRT, a black Grand Cherokee SRT, and alone in a funeral home parking lot was a new black Rolls Royce Silver Ghost.  The funeral biz must be booming in Ukranian Village (neighborhood in Parma, Oh). 

And for something completely different, at my local independent auto repair shop, there was a Caterpillar tanker truck...never realized there were Cat-branded trucks (red cab w/ a big "CAT' logo in the grille).  

Cleaning out the iPhone....   

Here's some "On The Road Images", these from 2014.   I have more if interested....

image.png.84181a5038c4501d0f95ac02d2c6d34f.png

image.png.9809d7abc115d3fdb14b27eebe74ca84.png

My uncle and I between two of the family Teslas.  The red one was t-boned and totalled shortly after this photo. It was replaced with another red one.

image.png.9235a3aa0edbb2d83ff62722985beb43.png

image.png.3ab3fee9e51b821f883db0d90910cd67.png

image.png.59e27c5c3537effad7b6ba7003798d38.png

image.png.323ef4d417598d009bb7a8d0d895c5af.png

image.png.cb244f07d5047e6a6ae0ecac380c2108.png

image.png.ccad8096480310818bd2b754fa3380d4.png

image.png.1e435ce51f9217073636601b86eafd72.png

Every time I pull up this photo of the Ghia I feel a model coming on!

image.png.06e48c676833bfd7329f23f2f0d49f0b.png

image.png.b8e4a3fc0050fe4bcc111746bd6f809d.png

image.png.3b50b45339bfbbabd0744fcf21b950ef.png

This is the nose of a bus used as decor at Ron's Original Bar & Grille here in town.  It was originally called Ron's School House.  I love it when a newbie asks me how to get to the men's room, and I can tell them, "Go down the hall until you see s school bus, then make a left!"

image.png.9fa3646fa6d385df9ecef49a54b9c1fa.png

image.png.acb5d92613af502bc76d32b4d7d59fcc.png

My '95 Celica convertible.  Recently pulled out of seven year storage in the garage you see here, my house in New Jersey.  Put jumper cables on it and it started and ran!    It's for sale if anyone is interested!

I'm interested Tom!  Not in the cabs though, I can see 4 of those from my window - and a couple of black Toyotas so there's probably at least one Uber out there too on my block :D  I should photograph one of our green cabs though for anyone interested...visitors to our place in Brooklyn are always curious about the boro cabs, which look just like the regular NY yellow cabs, but theyre a disgusting green color :D

In other news, apparently this is the week when everyone in Brooklyn brings their Vettes out of storage:

2v2EkDKN2xue8Lf.jpg

2v2EkD1bvxue8Lf.jpg

2v2EkDpt8xue8Lf.jpg

I keep spotting this McLaren driving around at rush hour - sounds NICE!

2v2EkDpUrxue8Lf.jpg

I've seen a couple of these Fiat Spiders around - I like 'em!  They're a Miata underneath but with Italian styling:

2v2EkDKr3xue8Lf.jpg

This little 4x4 caught my eye - there's a trend lately that I've noticed around here for lowering these little SUVs and putting more interesting wheels on them:

2v2EkD16vxue8Lf.jpg

...but this old beater truck that lives on my block is cooler, to my eyes!  Seems to see daily service and probably has for a number of years now.  Would be a cool one to build in scale, and a fun weathering project!  Probably about a million miles on the thing, all just in this one neighborhood :D :D

2v2EkD1mjxue8Lf.jpg

2v2EkD1Fzxue8Lf.jpg

And finally, here's a weird wrap on a nice expensive Porsche:

2v2EkDpooxue8Lf.jpg

More cool rides and crimes against taste soon! :D

Edited by CabDriver