Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

Back in the early 1900s there was a movement in the USA by the communist party to collect all the wealth in America and give every man an equal portion.

i believe it was John Rockefeller who said that by that very evening there would again be the rich and poor.

Some folks will spend the stimulus check to the last dollar frivolously and be on the food hand out line the next day!

3 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Back in the early 1900s there was a movement in the USA by the communist party to collect all the wealth in America and give every man an equal portion.

i believe it was John Rockefeller who said that by that very evening there would again be the rich and poor.

Some folks will spend the stimulus check to the last dollar frivolously and be on the food hand out line the next day!

When I was in college a few decades ago, a French economist did a study that largely concluded the same thing.  I believe his study was done in the 1700's or 1800's.  His conclusion was that it would take about a generation for the wealth to get to its previous equilibrium.  He also concluded that the people occupying the groups would look a little different, but the economic groupings would reappear.

However, we don't have to go back to the one to three centuries for this example.  The vast majority of lottery winners blow through their winnings in 3 - 5 years.  Or watch ESPN's 30 for 30 documentary "Broke".  It used to be on Netflix, but I saw that it is on YouTube.  The examples never end of people who can spend through a large pile of money in a short period of time.

Walmart had a small amount of toilet paper today for the first time I've seen in over 2 months! Also had my DiGiornio Three Meat Pizzas! Also had diet ginger ale for The Lovely Mrs. Snake! Had a couple other things they're often out of lately, too. And three new magazines to read (2 gun, I car)! AND no line at the checkout*, walked right up! It might have been my best trip to Walmart EVAH. :D

*It seems like if I buy a magazine, the checkout line is short or nonexistant; if there's nothing to read this week, the shortest checkout line is behind three people apparently outfitting the Bolivian Army and paying with post-dated third-party checks drawn on Bulgarian banks. Ain't it always the way! 

I did my weekly supermarket run yesterday and they had packs of napkins, a first since the start of this mess. We have been using paper towels. That’s fine with me but the Mrs. complains daily! 

While I was there a girl pulled a pallet of paper towels out and started to put on shelves and was surrounded by people taking them right off the pallet. She joked that maybe she shouldn’t stock the shelves because people would pick pallet clean in a few minutes. True! 

Meat supply was decent. Not a lot of beef, but enough of everything else. No fresh chicken wings again but tons of big packs of legs. That’s becoming the theme of the pandemic for me.. Buffalo Chicken Legs!

Deli department was shut down for cutting to order but pre-cut packs of cold cuts were out in a cooler case. No open donuts or rolls either, everything in sealed packs. That’s all a good thing. 

It’s amazing the simple things that make our days now!   

Edited by Tom Geiger

I'm very please today! I just got off the phone with my direct supervisor asking if I was willing to come back to work in the school I work at this next fall, they would love to have me come back. I had no problem answering that question with an affirmative. Despite everything that's happened this year. I love my job. And am more than willing to go back. 

So back to torturing the brats next fall. Or is that them torturing me? I can never keep that straight. ?

57 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

While I was there a girl pulled a pallet of paper towels out and started to put on shelves and was surrounded by people taking them right off the pallet. She joked that maybe she shouldn’t stock the shelves because people would pick pallet clean in a few minutes. True! 

My Walmart hasn't been out of paper towels once this whole time. Always plenty on hand. The problem is the packages look just like big packages of toilet paper if you're not paying attention. 

Target ( Tar-ja) run this morning. Getting low on Kleenex again. I buy the 4 pack ones, but they will only let me buy 1 package and the same for all other paper products. The shelves look like pre virus days with plenty of inventory. Employees running around like chicken's with their heads cut off. Masks only covering their mouths and noses out in the breeze.  What could possibly go wrong ?  

2 hours ago, espo said:

Masks only covering their mouths and noses out in the breeze.  What could possibly go wrong ?  

I've seen a BUNCH of that at my Walmart the last few weeks, employees and shoppers alike. It's all I can do to keep from saying, "Are you somehow unclear on the concept?" :unsure:

I kind of get it, though. Getting tired of my glasses being fogged up by my own "exhaust." 

45 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I've seen a BUNCH of that at my Walmart the last few weeks, employees and shoppers alike. It's all I can do to keep from saying, "Are you somehow unclear on the concept?" :unsure:

I kind of get it, though. Getting tired of my glasses being fogged up by my own "exhaust." 

It filters your cough, but you can still pick your nose! Win-win!

10 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

I'm very please today! I just got off the phone with my direct supervisor asking if I was willing to come back to work in the school I work at this next fall, they would love to have me come back. I had no problem answering that question with an affirmative. Despite everything that's happened this year. I love my job. And am more than willing to go back. 

So back to torturing the brats next fall. Or is that them torturing me? I can never keep that straight. ?

The more I read, the more I think I misunderstood the title and purpose of this thread. Obviously my above posting is the wrong spot? There is so much here I don't understand (and I'm not just talking about this particular thread and it's recent content). 

Edited by unclescott58

15 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I mentioned this with the Butcher when I was shopping and he suggested using shaving cream on your glasses as something in the makeup of the shaving cream would prevent this. He said that it would work on the bathroom mirror also. I haven't tried it yet but maybe someone here knows something about this.  

1 hour ago, espo said:

I mentioned this with the Butcher when I was shopping and he suggested using shaving cream on your glasses as something in the makeup of the shaving cream would prevent this. He said that it would work on the bathroom mirror also. I haven't tried it yet but maybe someone here knows something about this.  

Basically, it's the soap-on-the-mirror effect. It breaks the surface tension of the water droplets that condense on the glass, and the water sheets rather than forming fog. 

Wiping a bathroom mirror with a little soap will inhibit fogging, so it's easier to shave when you get out of a hot shower.

Same principle, and it works on the inside of car windows too.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

2 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Basically, it's the soap-on-the-mirror effect. It breaks the surface tension of the water droplets that condense on the glass, and the water sheets rather than forming fog. 

Wiping a bathroom mirror with a little soap will inhibit fogging, so it's easier to shave when you get out of a hot shower.

Same principle, and it works.

Thanks, I was sure someone would know about it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got a haircut so no longer look like a muppet.  Great Clips were maxing out on their sign in at three hours waits this week.  There's nothing i can think of that at this point in my life that I would wait three hours for!  The local one had no wait and three technicians.  She had it was a zoo last weekend as they had a two to three hour wait.

9 hours ago, HomerS said:

Got a haircut so no longer look like a muppet.  Great Clips were maxing out on their sign in at three hours waits this week.  There's nothing i can think of that at this point in my life that I would wait three hours for!  The local one had no wait and three technicians.  She had it was a zoo last weekend as they had a two to three hour wait.

Here in Ontario, Canada they are slowly reopening but obviously barbers and hairdressers are way down the list. I was getting desperate so I finally consented to letting my wife have a go at it. She's never cut hair before but she did a great job. I feel about 10 lbs lighter. ? It certainly made me happy (and a lot cooler).

15 minutes ago, peter31a said:

Here in Ontario, Canada they are slowly reopening but obviously barbers and hairdressers are way down the list. I was getting desperate so I finally consented to letting my wife have a go at it. She's never cut hair before but she did a great job. I feel about 10 lbs lighter. ? It certainly made me happy (and a lot cooler).

I may have to give it a go on the dogs.  One is a Husky/Aussie mix and we had the typical one day of spring before the temps hit the mid/upper 80's,  The groomer at his vet isn't open yet but others in the area are booked out several weeks.

Finally got to start building my Clod Buster yesterday, axles and suspension are done, chassis will be next, followed by body as the finale.......hope the weather holds out for this weekend!

7EF80A21-6C65-47F6-9903-1A6B78792269.jpeg.2f55afc3d0bc0f3e7d2fcc38bf0867d3.jpeg

On 5/14/2020 at 12:21 PM, cobraman said:

I am 68  and in my wildest dreams (nightmares) I never thought we would ever see anything like this. I pray we won't have to go through nothing like this again ever. Keep you and your families safe !

I’ll be honest, when I bought the laptop I’m currently working from home on after Christmas 2018, if somebody had told me of all the things that have happened since January 1st of this year just in my family such as being an uncle, Mom dying, scraping my Jeep, etc, using that laptop to work from home due to a pandemic would have been the one thing I would have called bull on!

Edited by Joe Handley

Got my A/C working today as we first turned it on yesterday and it wouldn't cool the house down. A buddy of mine showed up this morning and checked it out and added some Freon which stopped the "short cycling" of the compressor and also cooled down the house. Might be a leak somewhere and he should add some "Stop Leak" maybe this weekend?