Model Cars Magazine Forum

'73 AMC Hornet

realgone58

This is an original promo, Jo-Han, 1973 AMC Hornet. Factory finish Maxi Blue. I did the interior in black, buffed and waxed the body and BMF'd it, replaced the wheels with some steelies sprayed gloss black, dog dish caps, and Firestone Super Sports with blue lines from http://www.vinylnationdecals.com/ Lucked out with the chrome on this one, just cleaned and polished, then some blackwash where necessary.

kits%252073%2520hornet%25201.JPG

kits%252073%2520hornet%25202.JPG

kits%252073%2520hornet%25203.JPG

kits%252073%2520hornet%25204.JPG

Very nice. I have an old resin body of that somewhere. Just the poorly cast body, none of the other required parts.

The big question - Why hasn't anyone mastered a Sportabout??

I'd say sell off the resin body and grab one of these one the 'bay. I chased one of these in this color for quite a while, but lucked out on this one. Got it for under 40 bucks. I think it was because the seller took really bad pics of it and some folks were probably scared that it may have been in bad shape. It needed attention, but it was far better than I had expected. I'm with you on the Sportabout wagon. Would love to have a full detail kit of one of those.

Sweet! I cant believe the model companies ignore our repeated requests for AMC kits.

From what I understand "Mother Chrysler" owns the rights to AMC and won't give permission for new kits. Offers were made to pay any fees they wanted and the offers were ignored. So, it's not the model companies who are to blame

• 2 months later...

Very nice. I have an old resin body of that somewhere. Just the poorly cast body, none of the other required parts.

The big question - Why hasn't anyone mastered a Sportabout??

They have. I think one of the recent Model cars mags has done a review on it. I know someone in our club had brought on to our model club meetings.