Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's strike again

2 hours ago, DanR said:

Which Ollie's did you find the truck kits at? I checked one here in Cincinnati and it was mainly Lindberg kits and AMT cars. No trucks.

I’m in Dover DE. Mine had what I got and the Lindberg 34 Ford Truck...

1 hour ago, wrenchr said:

Thanks Brian!!

Just grabbed a Transtar.  

No problem, I’m glad someone else could find one

Stopped by the Ollie's in Anderson, SC today, 9/30/19, for those in the area.  Saw no semi truck kits, from either AMT or Lindberg.

This Ollie's had the AMT '55 Corvette and big stacks of several AMT "Showroom Replica" kits:  the '05 Chrysler 300c, '09 Corvette, '10 Camaro etc. All were priced at $9.99.

The store also had a few Lindberg non-car kits, including the old 1/95 scale Nantucket Lightship. A great kit to practice weathering. Lightships are interesting to me because they're anchored in place and don't go anywhere, the engines being removed to make room for the generators and other lighting equipment.  The only other lightship kit I know of is the ancient FROG kit of the Trinity/South Goodwin lightship (which broke its anchor chains and capsized in a 1954 storm). The South Goodwin kit has been re-issued by Revell.

Was at the Airport Road, and Tilghman Street stores in Allentown, Pa. They didn't have the trucks. Airport Rd. had AMT 1950 Ford convertible "Showboat", 280 Z, VW cartoon van and a weird issue of the Crown Victoria police car. They also had the Lindberg 1967 Oldsmobile 442 and 1937 Ford roadster street rod. They also had some Lindberg boats and planes.  Tilghman Street had the same, except they didn't have the Crown Vic.  Nothing earth shattering, but I got a 442. I will check back in a few days.

2 hours ago, larman said:

Was at the Airport Road, and Tilghman Street stores in Allentown, Pa. They didn't have the trucks. Airport Rd. had AMT 1950 Ford convertible "Showboat", 280 Z, VW cartoon van and a weird issue of the Crown Victoria police car. They also had the Lindberg 1967 Oldsmobile 442 and 1937 Ford roadster street rod. They also had some Lindberg boats and planes.  Tilghman Street had the same, except they didn't have the Crown Vic.  Nothing earth shattering, but I got a 442. I will check back in a few days.

Thanks for the heads up. I usually check out the Ollie’s on Tilghman when I go to Allentown for my doctor appointments for my back. Would be checking it out this Thursday. Nothing in the WB, Scranton, or Hazleton stores, because I always check when I’m there. Maybe these kits are leftovers from that huge buyout the had?  

When they initially had all the cool kits, I was forced to decide which ones I really wanted. I must have bought about 10 or so.,

I went yesterday and purchased  one of the 50 Fords, a lindberg 67 Olds 442 and a Datsun 280zx,  They also had about 3 different vettes, a Chrysler 300, ford crown vic police interceptor and a '37? ford roadster.  Wish they had some trucks.

34 minutes ago, fivesuns said:

I went yesterday and purchased  one of the 50 Fords, a lindberg 67 Olds 442 and a Datsun 280zx,  They also had about 3 different vettes, a Chrysler 300, ford crown vic police interceptor and a '37? ford roadster.  Wish they had some trucks.

Wow I wish they would of had all those cars at mine...

Thanks for the heads up. Just stopped at my local Ollie's in East York PA after work and picked up the Kenworth cab over semi and the chrome tanker trailer. They also had the International semi, but I already have two of them in the stash. They also had the 72 GTO, the Daytona kit, and the snap 49 Mercury police car. Also a bunch of Lindbergh ship kits.

Jeff 

It makes you wonder where they are getting this stuff!

This is a very small market.

Back when they had their first big sale, some 6 years ago it was all Lindberg.  We surmised that Frank had a warehouse full of slow movers and sold it off to finance the latest kit releases.  

Since then they've had a mix of all manufacturers.   People said it may have been from Hobbyco, again slow movers from their big warehouse.

And now they are gone...  where is there an entity  that would have quantities of these kits?   Remember Ollies is getting larger as a chain.   Their sale represents a huge load of models!   Intellectual curiosity is killing me!

Edited by Tom Geiger

7 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

It makes you wonder where they are getting this stuff!

This is a very small market.

Back when they had their first big sale, some 6 years ago it was all Lindberg.  We surmised that Frank had a warehouse full of slow movers and sold it off to finance the latest kit releases.  

Since then they've had a mix of all manufacturers.   People said it may have been from Hobbyco, again slow movers from their big warehouse.

And now they are gone...  where is there an entity  that would have quantities of these kits?   Remember Ollies is getting larger as a chain.   Their sale represents a huge load of models!   Intellectual curiosity is killing me!

I think the model kit dump goes back many years.........

I pulled a sealed Monogram 1987 NASCAR Thunderbird combo kit (2 Birds in one box) with a Ollie's $6.99 sticker on it. 

Not sure when I bought it but had to be 15-18 years ago.,,,,,or mire......

19 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

I think the model kit dump goes back many years.........

I pulled a sealed Monogram 1987 NASCAR Thunderbird combo kit (2 Birds in one box) with a Ollie's $6.99 sticker on it. 

Not sure when I bought it but had to be 15-18 years ago.,,,,,or mire......

I take back my 6 years and realize it was when I first moved to PA maybe 8-9 years ago. They advertised it as a warehouse fire sale, but we saw it as the Lindberg sale...

Just to grasp the size of this I looked it up.  Ollie's has 330 stores across 23 states.  Founded in Harrisburg, PA in 1982 by Morton Bernstein and Oliver ROsenberg.  Yea, that's Oliver on the logos

So figure a pallet or two per store... where to we find 500 pallets of model kits?

Forgot.to add, I picked up one of the Discovery Channel visible 4 cylinder engine kits for $19.99. I hope my 5 year old daughter will share in its build. Looks pretty cool when completed.  So far, we have built the VW Bug and Van from Arifix and the new Revel Jeep and Lightning McQueen kits with the "bolts" and screwdriver. I'm trying to raise her right, lol. Maybe a future modeler. 

Jeff