Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's strike again

1 hour ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

Hopefully they aren't selling well for the scalpers so they stopped. 

I suspect that's the case. Last couple model shows I went to buyers were down, lots of people but not many carrying anything. I went to a spaceflight collectibles show today and it was down too. Without going into the political side of things, money's tight for a lot of people right now.

Seems up to a couple years ago Ollie's would get cleaned out within 48 hours of kits hitting the shelves.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RSchnell said:

Hit up the Ollie's in Merritt Island, FL this morning. Still a decent selection. I'm surprised there were any kits left. Maybe the scalpers aren't buying as much?

IMG_20230812_120121868.jpg

NIce to see an Ollie's that doesn't look like a post Black Friday sale!  

• Like 1

Ollie's themselves bumping the prices up seems to have killed off a lot of the buyers "for resale".  Sure, you pay a couple bucks more, but there’s still a selection when you go back after changing your mind about something a couple of days later.

44 minutes ago, Mark said:

Ollie's themselves bumping the prices up seems to have killed off a lot of the buyers "for resale".  Sure, you pay a couple bucks more, but there’s still a selection when you go back after changing your mind about something a couple of days later.

I have some Ollie's dump kits in my stash with $5.99 on them.....so yea.....they have gone up enough the risk vs profit is too high!!!

I have two 1/8 Lindburg kits that have $15.00.....how things change! 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, GLMFAA1 said:

Ollie's stash at local store. "Tar Knif"*

20230811_171453.jpg.7eef5cee199b0a80e8f02c91df4ab516.jpg

20230811_171505.jpg.48c83ef1e5c7711d9432ac4a26143ed0.jpg

greg

*If you grew up on the North Coast of Ohio you will know what the quote is about.

Looks like they got the International COE and not just the trailer, that is a really nice kit! 

18 minutes ago, slusher said:

Better selection than my Hobby Lobby!  I don’t know why the 68 Dodge Charger isn’t there..

Because it is selling well. Until they have stock sitting in the warehouse no need to sell to Hobby Lobby. I doubt the HL buyer is putting a lot of pressure on R2 for the 68 kit. May not be a die hard plastic buyer......just another dept they cover. More than likely a craft buyer who has the plastic kit buying as an additional duty......can't see a full time buyer for kits alone. Just IMHO only!!

18 hours ago, ewetwo said:

I saw at Walmart a year or so ago.

Maybe, But then those display's were filled and sent by Round 2... From what I'm seeing at my local Ollie's that the kit's are coming in by the case load and are non mixed cases! IE The photo's above that show cases of kits cut open. Would be nice if they also got the 1/25-1/24 amt display case's!