Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's strike again

On 12/9/2023 at 1:21 PM, Tabbysdaddy said:

I guess that's one I'll have to find.

You can pick up the newest version at Hobby Lobby. I'm doubtful it will ever make it to Ollie's. 

Also the box art on the Firebird HotRod series from the 80's was pretty inspiring... I plan on kit bashing it with the snap together kit. I got from Wal-mart. 

10878087b.jpg

images.jpeg-29.jpg

20231119_184647.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, disconovaman said:

I didn't go to the 6 to 10 sale at our local Ollie's but a friend of mine is there...  said they closed the store today until 6 pm. He said he's waiting outside in a long line for them to open. 

Part of the reason I have no desire to go! My local Ollie's is always crowded, I can't imagine the pandemonium that would ensue on a night like this. 

• Like 2

Also the manager was holding stuff back at our local store. This other friend of mine was there on Black Friday he said he could see a bunch of Round II boxes in the back but when he asked, the employee said they didn't have room on the shelf for everything.

The Classic Cruisers stuff was also back there and I happened to see that a few days later and asked to buy it. The manager would only sell me limited kits.

I bit the bullet and went down to my local Ollie's. They had a selection of the Monogram Tri-5's (56, 57, & 57 Nomad), some AMT Avantis, Fairlane stockers, Chevy II funny cars, and an assortment of some other stuff; lots of Dodge Slammers, Speedracers, and 1/32 Black Beautys. I did pick up a couple of the Mail Trucks, with discount I got them for $14.99 apiece. The store was a bit crowded, but most of the people were courteous and would step aside in the aisles to let you pass.  Also picked up a pack of Golden Oreos. It's about time to grab some recliner time in front of the television and do the Oreos some damage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Bought 4 kits at Ollie's Army night. Another Galaxie taxi (last one there)  Monogram '57 Chevy, Coca Cola '72 Chevy Pickup, and a 65 Bonneville.. They had the Old IMC Truck Trailer, Coca Cola Dodge D-50,Plymouth, loads of speed racer kit's Hot Wheel's Camaro, Monogram 57 nomad/bel Air , 82 Corvette, 79 Trans Am, 1/32 green hornet car, 1/32 T-bird, and 32 ford. Star Trek kits as well (reliant/Enterprise)

The 65 Bonneville is for  Trade to anyone that was looking for it, but their Ollie's didn.t have them

On 12/11/2023 at 9:26 AM, ranma said:

Bought 4 kits at Ollie's Army night. Another Galaxie taxi (last one there)  Monogram '57 Chevy, Coca Cola '72 Chevy Pickup, and a 65 Bonneville.. They had the Old IMC Truck Trailer, Coca Cola Dodge D-50,Plymouth, loads of speed racer kit's Hot Wheel's Camaro, Monogram 57 nomad/bel Air , 82 Corvette, 79 Trans Am, 1/32 green hornet car, 1/32 T-bird, and 32 ford. Star Trek kits as well (reliant/Enterprise)

The 65 Bonneville is for  Trade to anyone that was looking for it, but their Ollie's didn.t have them

Great idea. I bought extras. I'll post my Ollies buys in the trading section.

Went to Ollie's this past Thursday and picked up the AMT '32 Ford Street Rod  and a Speed Racer , both of which were for our Dirty Santa model exchange, and the Monogram ' 57 Chevy hardtop for myself. I passed on the other kits there though I might go back and  get some of them (just not that awfully ugly Monogram Firebird).

• Haha 2

The Sterling, VA Ollies has all the monogram kits of the recent batch, a few AMTs ... the GMC General, the Dodge ram D50, the 1972 Chevy Coke pickup and some others I forget in the front of the store. In the toy aisle  there were several gurney Eagles. I did not think to take a picture. I grabbed a Camaro since it is one of my all time favorites. 

22 hours ago, bandit1 said:

My Marietta Ohio location

The great dane Trailer's would be nice to get could use a couple of those, But My local store don't have those! The only semi trailer we got here is the old IMC (lindberg/AMT) junk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ranma said:

The great dane Trailer's would be nice to get could use a couple of those, But My local store don't have those! The only semi trailer we got here is the old IMC (lindberg/AMT) junk.

There is no logic as far as what store gets what. The Mooresville NC store must have had 100 Great Dane trailers.....but my local store....ZERO. I think as the boxes of kits arrive at Ollie's dist they just slap a store label....no matter the mix of kits. 

I haven't seen any Great Dane trailers at my local Ollies, just the Fruehauf and old IMC kit. Was in there yesterday and there were still a good number of kits. I thought the 20% off sale would've cleaned them out. Grabbed a couple more '32 Fords & one of the Snark missiles for my space kit stash.