Model Cars Magazine Forum

Almost all the old vintage kits I have...and I have a fair number...I bought fully intending to build. There are a very few that I'll probably keep in pristine unbuilt condition, simply because I sometimes enjoy revisiting a moment in the past when I first opened one of them, in my much younger days. It's the closest thing to time travel I've found yet.

In my opinion if have a mint kit that you think might

be reissued by the big companies, then maybe hang

in there for a while.

If I had a beautiful Johan kit that I have always been

wanting to build, then build it!

But I had a kit that I payed too much for and built it,

then like 3 years later they dug the mold out and

dusted them off quite nicely, and well . . . you get it!!

David S.

Build them!

Here is a situation recently brought to my attention by my wife...." if you up & die....I don't know anything about them (my collection)

....don't want to hassle with any of it" .....it will end up on a garage sale table for 50 cents.

Sometimes..... that woman can"REALLY" make me cringe!!

I have a few rare old kits that I enjoy more just the way they are than I ever could building them. I also have a few others that I WILL build, The Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise....

Generally, though, for rare old stuff, I'd rather restore a glue bomb, for a number of reasons, not all of them economic....

I only have a handful of older, OOP kits in my stash and pretty much know that they won't be reissued. They sit, waiting to be built, because that is why I got them in the first place. The boxes are open and ready to be built, but have a couple dozen WIPs in front of them and if you add in my modelers ADD, it might be awhile before they get done!

I buy with the intention to build. Some I have bought out of sheer nostalgia and will not build them because I bought them for a memory and not for how good the kit was! Such as Palmer and Hawk kits. 

Some are pretty rare and I only got them because they just came across my path. Will I build them? Probably not, they are not really my thing or there is a newer and better version of it out now. I just bought them for what they are. 

Unbuilt models are just parts until you do something with them. Original box art and old stuff is cool, but IMHO, if it's too "valuable" to build sell it while you can and buy more models that you will build! :D

EXCELLENT POINT!!!!!!

Your job is to keep them complete and perfect so the next guy can enjoy building it. :D

I'm thankful that some people did. If everyone who bought a model car built it, there wouldn't BE any wonderful old unbuilt kits today at ANY price.

Build them!

Here is a situation recently brought to my attention by my wife...." if you up & die....I don't know anything about them (my collection)

....don't want to hassle with any of it" .....it will end up on a garage sale table for 50 cents.

Sometimes..... that woman can"REALLY" make me cringe!!

Well, at least yours plans to sell them. My wife will give my son first dibs, then goodwill, and finally trash. She has told me I better not instantly die either. I need to sort and box everything before I pass. Besides plastic models, I have a pretty large collection of diecast from 1/64 to 1/18 scale.